TrackerJack

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

We're between churches, and are having a hard time finding that church G-d intends for us.

Being a young family we were attracted to a small charismatic church this morning. I was initially very excited, because from browsing their website I felt we would fit in.

They were having a worship and prayer service, because their pastor was out of town.

Much to my surprise, NOBODY mentioned that today was Pentecost Sunday. Given that it was a worship/prayer service, I thought someone would have given thanks to G-d for sending his Holy Spirit. Especially since the congregation was given the opportunity to pray.

As a first time visitor, I ended up standing up and giving thanks to G-d, for one of His most precious of gifts.

Was I out of line?

Did your church acknowledge that it was Pentecost?

I just can't imagine not recognizing G-d's blessings.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

We're between churches, and are having a hard time finding that church G-d intends for us.

Being a young family we were attracted to a small charismatic church this morning. I was initially very excited, because from browsing their website I felt we would fit in.

They were having a worship and prayer service, because their pastor was out of town.

Much to my surprise, NOBODY mentioned that today was Pentecost Sunday. Given that it was a worship/prayer service, I thought someone would have given thanks to G-d for sending his Holy Spirit. Especially since the congregation was given the opportunity to pray.

As a first time visitor, I ended up standing up and giving thanks to G-d, for one of His most precious of gifts.

Was I out of line?

It would be a good thing to thank the Lord for His Spirit if you really felt that way and didn't do it to simply make an attempt to commemorate a made-up day of importance. Our church celebrates Holy Spirit every day, and very time we meet.

There is no mandate to celebrate any day.

Colossians 2:16-17

So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths. For these rules are only shadows of the reality yet to come. And Christ himself is that reality.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

I am in a large, classical Pentecostal church that has historical roots to Azusa Street. It was also not mentioned in our Pentecostal church. We are not liturgical, but I think this lacks wisdom/opportunity/emphasis. It would be like not mentioning fathers/mothers on those days or Good Friday, etc. I sent an article before the day as a reminder and will follow up after (I am an elder). I don't think you were out of order, but we also don't want to be legalistic/liturgical if we are not of that tradition. Wisdom dictates it is an opportunity to emphasize our distinctives even as we remember communion (which is explicitly commanded). It is more important to be Pentecostal by experience than name/nominal. Even cessationist vs continuationist churches reflect on first century Pentecost.

http://www.charismamag.com/index.php/the-strang-report/32736-shouldnt-pentecostals-celebrate-pentecost-sunday Yes, Pentecostals should celebrate Pentecost Sunday.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  53
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/19/1965

Actually next week June 3 is Pentecost and yes that day the church I attend will be having the Lords Feast day.

Leviticus 23:2,4,11-16 (KJV)

Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the Lord , which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my feasts. [4] These are the feasts of the Lord , even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons. [11] And he shall wave the sheaf before the Lord , to be accepted for you: on the morrow after the sabbath the priest shall wave it.

[12] And ye shall offer that day when ye wave the sheaf an he lamb without blemish of the first year for a burnt offering unto the Lord

. [13] And the meat offering thereof shall be two tenth deals of fine flour mingled with oil, an offering made by fire unto the Lord for a sweet savour: and the drink offering thereof shall be of wine, the fourth part of an hin.

[14] And ye shall eat neither bread, nor parched corn, nor green ears, until the selfsame day that ye have brought an offering unto your God: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.

[15] And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:

[16] Even unto the morrow after the seventh sabbath shall ye number fifty days; and ye shall offer a new meat offering unto the Lord .

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Interesting....

Which church do you attend. I'm wondering why you celebrate Pentecost the week after Pentecost.

A simple Google search indicates its May 27th.

Or if you prefer hebcal.com indicates Shavuot is today.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

Interesting....

Which church do you attend. I'm wondering why you celebrate Pentecost the week after Pentecost.

A simple Google search indicates its May 27th.

Or if you prefer hebcal.com indicates Shavuot is today.

Yes, it was today.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

As long as we celebrate Jesus Christ, we are doing what God loves. There is no need for a Pentecost memorial, when He is actively working in our lives every day, and He is manifesting His presence every time we come together.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,173
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I don't know, I am still sick and didn't attend church.

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

ozell user_popup.png

Actually next week June 3 is Pentecost and yes that day the church I attend will be having the Lords Feast day.

I think there is a lack of understanding of the different types of calenders and on what day Easter and Pentecost will fall on. The Catholic church has been using the Gregorian Calendar I believe that is based on a fixed date of 21 March while most people in the USA or eastern churches uses the Julian Calendar, that put Easter on 8 Apr 2012, which means that Pentecost would be 50 days after that day, or 7 weeks. Which I think is today 27May12. The Orthodox Easter this year was 15Apr2012 so Pentecost would be on 3June2012.

Yes the Pastor at my church did talk about it.

ICL~~~Dennis

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

Was I out of line?

We did! I am what most call Messianic so yes we did observe Shavuot with a joyous and open heart for the Ruach to fill! We had a wonderful worship and praise to our Creator, we prayed corportately and individually, it was awesome and empowering! I love His Feasts what better way of meeting with Him than on the days He appointed us to meet with Him!

shalom,

Mizz