• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,690
  • Content Per Day:  8.03
  • Days Won:  77
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Well if it's Mary's land why are you there? :red_smile: squatter?

Mary was very generous. :)

:read: Brilliant simply brilliant....

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.07
  • Days Won:  78

CANADA

Common misperception is that everything is frozen and people live in igloos. Truth is that about 85 percent of the population lives within two hours of the US border. So it's not much different than the northern part of the US. Farms, prairies, mountains, coastline. Winters can be cold, summers are gorgeous.

Common misperception is that Canadians are uneducated. Canada is actually one of the most educated, advanced societies in the world.

Common misperception is that most Canadians speak French. French is rarely spoken west of Quebec, although official government documents are in both English and French.

I agree with the above but there is one misconception about Canadians you DIDN'T address. You know the one about no sense of humor? :mgcheerful:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Well, if someone can tell me what the perception of Maryland is, I can mention if it is true or not.

almost nearly but not quite hardly D.C.

Sorry, coheir, I didn't catch what you meant?

i thought D.C and parts of Maryland so urbanized it hard to tell when you are out of one and in the other.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

i thought D.C and parts of Maryland so urbanized it hard to tell when you are out of one and in the other.

Along the corridor between D.C. and Baltimore, it is mostly one big suburbia, but there are still farms and such along the way.

Get away from the corridor, and from Annapolis, and there is a lot more ruralness.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Along the corridor between D.C. and Baltimore, it is mostly one big suburbia, but there are still farms and such along the way.

Get away from the corridor, and from Annapolis, and there is a lot more ruralness.

Thats good to know Nebula. i had not really been to those to cities by road I have been to D.C. by boat one time from Piney Point, MD.

Wow, OtherOne!

I've only driven past Antietem, but never got to visit it. Antietem is in rural Western MD. I live in Suburban-Metropolitan Central MD. :(

As small as Maryland is, isnt that about a 20 minute drive? It takes an hour to drive across Phoenix, if you take fast routes.

What would be a 20 minute drive in Arizona or Texas takes about an hour in Maryland. They only have a few highways and those all run through Baltimore.

A wreck on the highway means you're sitting for hours because there is now way around it.

One misperception I had about DC was that it was all concrete. Lots of large farms in the area, and one of the most beautiful places in America, Shenandoah valley, is only 60 miles away.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  67

South Africa

We have the best Rugby and Cricket teams in the world......

:o :o :o

Nigel borrows the Welsh frying pan,, Fez :fryingpan: :fryingpan: :fryingpan: :fryingpan:

Now don't get me started on the Indian cricket team :beehive:

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  2,924
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

I was born in western PA, but the bulk of my formative years (1969-89) was spent in eastern Oklahoma (except for a 6 year stint in the Navy).

I really liked living in Oklahoma - but when I married, I married someone from western New York State. She had misgivings about moving to Oklahoma. She at first envisioned it as all flat and dusty.

She was somewhat pleasantly surprised to find there were some hills in eastern Oklahoma - but she still laughed when she saw state brochures referring to eastern Oklahoma as "Green Country." I told her it IS green country - when you compare it to the rest of the state!

Of all things she missed - she missed maple trees (and the brilliant fall colors they produced). One year, a friend of hers sent her a maple leaf to look at.

As I've travelled around and lived in other areas of the country, I do believe that Oklahoma tends to have the friendliest people (this doesn't qualify as a mis-conception, as I've never heard that Oklahomans are un-friendly). We've attended good churches wherever we've lived. But in Tulsa, we had a closeness with the folks that we felt we could "just show up" at their house if we wanted to - without making a big production out of it.

I can't say I've experienced that anywhere else.

In the 90s, mostly due to job situations, we moved back here to NY (as it turned out, 50 miles from the town where my wife grew up.)

I think when you say "New York" people have many mis-conceptions. They may think of crime, skyscrapers and over-crowdedness.

That couldn't be further from the description of where I live. In fact, up until about 2 years ago, part of my 25 mile one-way drive to work was over dirt roads. (they since haven't technically paved it, but they did apply a hard surface)

And the town where I work boasts that it's 25 miles to the nearest traffic light.

Blessings!

-Ed

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

What would be a 20 minute drive in Arizona or Texas takes about an hour in Maryland. They only have a few highways and those all run through Baltimore.

Except for those 2-laners running north and south between those highways . . . which need to be 4-laners. But yeah, you're right! Ha, ha! I hadn't thought of it that way before.

A wreck on the highway means you're sitting for hours because there is now way around it.

That's why it's a good idea to know back-roads routes - as long as you can get off on an exit. But I've discovered such is only worth it when traffic is absolutely stopped, for they are very crowded roads.

One misperception I had about DC was that it was all concrete. Lots of large farms in the area, and one of the most beautiful places in America, Shenandoah valley, is only 60 miles away.

I love Shenandoah!

A misperception I used to have was that Pittsburgh was the "steel city"

I expected to see something like Canton or Akron or Cleveland OH but was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful it was. As a Dallas Cowboys fan, I didn't want to like Pittsburgh...but can't help myself.