IGNORED

Man Jailed for Conducting Bible Studies in his House?

JTC

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I'm asking this, because I'm not sure. I have a friend in NJ and she said she was watching a TV talk show called Hannity. She said they reported that a man was given a short jail sentence, but 3 years of Probation, for conducting Bible studies out of his home. She said she thinks this happened in Arizona, but wasn't sure. She says they were able to arrest him because conducting Bible studies was a breaking of some kind of local codes. Has anyone else heard of this? Is it true, and if it is, does anyone know anything more?

If this is true it has to be the worst thing America has done since banning prayer in public schools.

Stuff like this really scares me. Then we all sit here talking about which candidate is more in line with the Bible, and one state has jailed a man for Bible studies? My friend isn't a flake, she usually knows what she's talking about. But I hope she's wrong about this.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

I think this is an article on what happened.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/11/arizona-pastor-jailed-for-hosting-bible-studies-in-his-home

But I'm from the UK and don't know if the article holds to the truth.

Yes, that's it. Thank you ncn. From that written article, I found this link to a U-Tube video showing the living room and explaining the building codes he violated.

To me this isn't about violating a building code. To me this about the ever increasing anti Christian attitudes we're seeing in America. This is terrible because America was started by people who loved God and the Bible. Some may have had extreme views (IMO) but they still loved God. So this latest thing is another abomination towards God. (I have to wonder if anyone would have complained if it was a fund raising meeting for a local governor, or some such secular endeavor? I think not)

Here's the link to the You-Tube video for anyone interested.

*** removed embedded video ***

Edited by OneLight

Ohhh ... I only wanted to post a hyperlink. Sorry. I don't know how to work everything yet here at Worthy. :hmmm:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  11/05/1985

I think there are more details to this story. Perhaps disruption for neighbors, perhaps parking problems in the area with the amount of people coming on a regular basis.

Also the fact that the family posted a lot of videos tells me they are trying to make this more of a sensational story.

Long story short I don't think the problem is they are studying the bible, the problem is how they are going about doing it. They aren't getting fined because they are Christian, they are getting fined because they are violated the usage of their land.

I would be interested in seeing more info about this case.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  11/05/1985

^

If you are correct about the 2000 sq ft room that was built & the current law wording being poor I'm in agreement 100%

I think there is more to this story, and I hope it comes out in the next few days. Right now one big question in my mind is what was that other person was doing, 2 houses away, that had so many people coming there that 1 car blocked part of the street, and other cars were parked on both sides of the street? That looks like something that may need to be stopped. And maybe it's significant and maybe not, but the other house had all those guests on a Sunday. I tend to think the other house had a secular function going on. Or perhaps the preacher who was jailed belongs to a denomination that the city doesn't like.

Either way, I find it very disturbing that this man was singled out for doing what people all over the country are doing. Several of the churches I've belonged to held Bible studies in someone's house. Others used the church building. Maybe now I know why a lot of churches prefer to use the actual church.

I realize they got him on violation of a building code. But I still consider this an attack on Christianity.

• Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  8

When I get married ,...I always desired to have a yard wedding.

I wonder if they would arrest my Pastor for doing so. :foot-stomp:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

How are they even able to get away with this sorta thing.