• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

This piece of Scripture has always puzzled me a bit. Why on God's green earth would any man offer his daughters to a sexually crazed mob? Is there someone with a better understand of Hebrew who can make sense of this to me?

Guest Butero

This simply shows how evil sodomy is. It is so bad and so disgusting that a man would rather have seen his daughters involved with the men of the city than the guests under his roof who were male. Something I would point out is that the Bible never says it was a righteous thing to do. In the eyes of Lot, it was the lesser of the two evils, and he felt powerless to stop such a mob. It was either a natural sex act between men and women or unatural sex acts between two people of the same sex. For the record, there is no way I would have suggested such a thing in regard to anyone under my roof, especially my own daughters. It would have been a fight to the death, barring divine intervention.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

This piece of Scripture has always puzzled me a bit. Why on God's green earth would any man offer his daughters to a sexually crazed mob? Is there someone with a better understand of Hebrew who can make sense of this to me?

Hi bold believer,

Lot understood that it was an abomination to God and wicked to commit oneself to the same sex, so Lot thought that it would be better to commit rape than to commit debauchery, because debauchery would be the reason why God would destroyed Sodom and Gamorrah.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Ive been told it was also an issue of hospitality. In those times, it was incumbent on a host to protect his guests. Lot felt that he was protecting them to the point of sacrificing his daughters. Even to sin to protect his guests.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  6

Youll notice Lot says to the mob, "do with them (his daughters) what is GOOD in your eyes.", then the mob is blinded, by the angels, when they continue pressing in so theres more to be understood than Lot was handing over his daughters.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

Youll notice Lot says to the mob, "do with them (his daughters) what is GOOD in your eyes.", then the mob is blinded, by the angels, when they continue pressing in so theres more to be understood than Lot was handing over his daughters.

Genesis 19:8

"See now, I have two daughters who have not known a man, please, let me bring them out to you and you may do to them as you wish; only do nothing to these men, since this is the reason they have come under the shadow of my roof.

Lot thought that in doing so, the "mob" as you put it would take his daughters, thus saving his home and community. It wasnt what seemed good in their eyes but to do with them as they wished, because if the men continued then the angels would be forced to destroy Sodom and Gamorrah for God sent them there to do this very thing less Abraham find 10 good men. As I said earlier, this place was engulfed in debauchery and sin! I dont see much more that is to be understood in the passage other than that Xero, can you find anything that I missed?

~blessings~

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  03/23/1986

Gen. 19:6–9 Lot’s readiness to protect the two men from the mob is admirable. In desperation he offers his two unmarried daughters as substitutes—a shocking, cowardly, and inexcusable act, even if he intended this only as a bluff, or expected the offer to be rejected. The reaction of the crowd only confirms the truly evil nature of their intentions

This is a study note from the ESV study bible, it doesn't really explain much but might shed light from another scholars perspective... though vague. :-/

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Gen. 19:6–9 Lot’s readiness to protect the two men from the mob is admirable. In desperation he offers his two unmarried daughters as substitutes—a shocking, cowardly, and inexcusable act, even if he intended this only as a bluff, or expected the offer to be rejected. The reaction of the crowd only confirms the truly evil nature of their intentions

This is a study note from the ESV study bible, it doesn't really explain much but might shed light from another scholars perspective... though vague. :-/

I used to also be greatly troubled by this verse. I was then told it was the traditions of the ancient Jews to protect their guests, no matter what the cost. I was still troubled. Then I realized that even today, there are people living in other lands that have customs and traditions that I could never go for.

But... I never heard the idea before that Lot said it as a bluff, or he simply expected the mob to reject his offer. I like that idea.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

Remembering that Lot was not all that hot to get out of Dodge, I often wondered if he was morally sick himself. Had he been there so long that he depravity of the city had affected him to the point that he thought nothing of handing over his daughters?

Given the fact that later Lot's daughters seduce their father into incest and bring about the Moabites, apparently the idea that the Sodomites' culture had affected them isn't all that far-fetched.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

A picture is worth a thousand words. God has painted a prophetic picture here for those who have eyes to see that they might see. Lot was a righteous man, according to Peter, who vexed his soul day after day by their unlawful deeds though he sat in the gate of the city. There are many pictures throughout scripture of two daughters or two women. Understanding them helps us to understand where we are in human history and what is about to befall us. It shall be as in the days of Lot. Lot was a prophet and he came to his sons in law and they merely mocked him just as people do today when one attempts to warn them of the impending judgment of both the church and the world around it. When one understands the deep ramifications behind the bible being a book of prophecy and the testimony of Jesus being the spirit of prophecy they will work diligently to be known of God that they might know and understand the prophecy. When one does not understand they usually stone the prophet.

Time to get oil for the lamps.

Gary