• Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

James MacDonald's Vertical Church Tour: It's About Getting Back to Jesus

By Alex Murashko , Christian Post Reporter

September 15, 2012|11:26 am

Megachurch pastor James MacDonald has reached the halfway point of his whirlwind "Vertical Church Tour" planned for 40 cities in the U.S. and Canada in just a two-month time span. The founding and senior pastor of Harvest Bible Chapel in Chicago continues to deliver his message that today's Christian churches should meet primarily for the purpose of seeking and worshipping God and all else will follow.

"I'm a pastor of the same church for almost 25 years and we feel very passionate about the church has got to get back to being about Jesus Christ and about the Word of God," MacDonald recently told Mars Hill Church Pastor Mark Driscoll during an interview to help promote "R12," an upcoming leadership conference.

"Somewhere along the line we became so helpful – all this three little tips for this and four little helps for that – no cross, no Gospel, no Christ-centered Word-based God exalting church. I just believe that the one true value proposition that we have is an earth-shattering, window rattling, life altering encounter with God that we need every week to cut down our pride and to bring us to our knees. That's what church is supposed to be. So I'm fired up about challenging the church in America to get back to that."

Read more

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  116
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

How great to see a post here about this. Please go to the Vertical Church Tour website at the end of the article as well. Pastor James, as we call him, is a very gifted and powerful preacher of the Word. If you missed this tour and don't live in the Chicago area, you can hear him on many radio stations on Walk in the Word. I have been blessed by his ministry for the last dozen years from the time I walked through the doors of Harvest Bible Chapel. I was seeking a new church at the time after some disappointment at my previous one. This was very close to me so I started with it. Further searching was unneccesary.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  169
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  345
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  4

James Macdonald please get real now. Live and see the times we are living in today. Your intentions are well meant. It’s only your hope but not the Truth of the matter.

Did you notice what Churches are turning into these days?

Lots of Churches are falling apart that to the point of Apostasy a falling away from the true Faith of God. As much as Macdonald would want to see America go back to Church even if the good Churches are to become like the fifty cent pieces very rare for finding these days. Yes there are still some nice good Bible teaching God loving Church congregations. But they are a very minority of the over all Churches of today. And most people on TBN teach many things that are untrue along with this plaing hands on people and falling on the floor stuff. False prophecies from Benny Hinn and Pat Robertson, Jack van Impe, Ed Hindson and Tim La Hayes.

Only some like Charles Stanley and a few good men are still trying to stay and keep the Church on track. There is a wide spread of the Gospel of prosperity.

In this I advise search very carefully if you want to go to Church. Make sure it meets all the Bible requirements only according to the Word of God itself inside the Bible you are holding. Don’t settle for less. If you do find a good Church pray for them that they will continue to be the open door of Revelation 3 verse 8 keeping the name of the Lord and being righteous in His name. Other words we may not be able to bring millions of people back to Church. But whatever we can find them keep them alive and going. Witness to friend family or at posting forums about God. If you have a good Church invite your friend at least one to join you.

But since we are living in Apostasy we are aware this is taking place. Many Churches have lost its roots. Some have gone as far as teaching doctrines of Demons.

Jesus warned us even the disciples. Beware of the Yeast. The Disciples wondered what Jesus was saying. Do we not have Bread with us? Will we not eat? Jesus said why are you talking about Bread? You have seen I fed the multitude of thousands. But I say to you beware of the Yeast of those of False Teaching or of who teach falsely and deceiving many people whom follow. them.

When the Hebrews escaped from Egypt they made unleavened Bread of No Yeast in that Bread. Therefore Yeast in bread is an additive not necessary to have. False teaching may appear to be as the Bread of Life. But actually it is a teaching of Bread that has Yeast. How does one know how to discern falseness? Play it on the safe side. If it is not written in the

Bible that God is teaching us: You do not need to believe anything that is not written or agreeing with the scripture. If anything is contracting the truth in any kind of teaching. Study and compare. If it holds up to the Bible then fine. If it does not stand then walk away from this. Use the Word of God as a guide to see what Church is true or false or what teacher is teaching true or falsely. God can never ever be against His own word. If the Church says one way and God says another believe God first.

James MacDonald needs to realize in these days of apostasy to watch close in all these things. Prayer is good but common Bible sense should known to what we are praying for.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

James Macdonald please get real now. Live and see the times we are living in today. Your intentions are well meant. It’s only your hope but not the Truth of the matter.

Did you notice what Churches are turning into these days?

Lots of Churches are falling apart that to the point of Apostasy a falling away from the true Faith of God. As much as Macdonald would want to see America go back to Church even if the good Churches are to become like the fifty cent pieces very rare for finding these days. Yes there are still some nice good Bible teaching God loving Church congregations. But they are a very minority of the over all Churches of today. And most people on TBN teach many things that are untrue along with this plaing hands on people and falling on the floor stuff. False prophecies from Benny Hinn and Pat Robertson, Jack van Impe, Ed Hindson and Tim La Hayes.

Only some like Charles Stanley and a few good men are still trying to stay and keep the Church on track. There is a wide spread of the Gospel of prosperity.

In this I advise search very carefully if you want to go to Church. Make sure it meets all the Bible requirements only according to the Word of God itself inside the Bible you are holding. Don’t settle for less. If you do find a good Church pray for them that they will continue to be the open door of Revelation 3 verse 8 keeping the name of the Lord and being righteous in His name. Other words we may not be able to bring millions of people back to Church. But whatever we can find them keep them alive and going. Witness to friend family or at posting forums about God. If you have a good Church invite your friend at least one to join you.

But since we are living in Apostasy we are aware this is taking place. Many Churches have lost its roots. Some have gone as far as teaching doctrines of Demons.

Jesus warned us even the disciples. Beware of the Yeast. The Disciples wondered what Jesus was saying. Do we not have Bread with us? Will we not eat? Jesus said why are you talking about Bread? You have seen I fed the multitude of thousands. But I say to you beware of the Yeast of those of False Teaching or of who teach falsely and deceiving many people whom follow. them.

When the Hebrews escaped from Egypt they made unleavened Bread of No Yeast in that Bread. Therefore Yeast in bread is an additive not necessary to have. False teaching may appear to be as the Bread of Life. But actually it is a teaching of Bread that has Yeast. How does one know how to discern falseness? Play it on the safe side. If it is not written in the

Bible that God is teaching us: You do not need to believe anything that is not written or agreeing with the scripture. If anything is contracting the truth in any kind of teaching. Study and compare. If it holds up to the Bible then fine. If it does not stand then walk away from this. Use the Word of God as a guide to see what Church is true or false or what teacher is teaching true or falsely. God can never ever be against His own word. If the Church says one way and God says another believe God first.

James MacDonald needs to realize in these days of apostasy to watch close in all these things. Prayer is good but common Bible sense should known to what we are praying for.

Hi WIH,

Welcome, I'm not sure what has happened lately to discernment on the board but maybe I've been deluded into thinking it was good to start with. These discussions have not gone far and maybe they never had. It's really the sign of the times IMO. The biggest warning from our Lord in Matth. 24 was about deception. And which apostles let it lay?

We can talk endlessly it would seem about all other aspects of His coming but when it comes to deception, discernment we seem to polarize like politics. There is the reality that some ministries have become against just about everything, hunters instead of expozers. but then it would seem others are becoming more excepting of just about everything as long as the name Jesus is preached. Love, unity and words but without truth none of those words mean anything.

Welcome to the board and I know there are people in agreement with you but I think we avoid these things because they tend to cause division of sorts, but truth will draw a line, it will divide.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,250
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

I agree with what you posted from McDonald, but I do hope this is not the subject of a latest book, unless he should give it away at cost. It is also the time that churches should be depending on the Holy Spirit to lead them and not the latest book!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

This very concern is what led me to liturgical/sacramental worship.

The proof is in the pudding.

How far "back" are they willing to go in seeking the REAL Jesus?

The largest portion of the institution known as the "church" has been perpetrating a counterfeit made in their own image for millennia now. Western churches are teaching that you are saved by what you think, instead of how you live.

Show me your faith by your works. Talk is cheap.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

"He who believes has eternal life."

"And this is eternal life, That they may know thee, the only true God."

The apostles doctrine is what we go back to.

A personal growing relationship with our creator will in no uncertain terms affect our thinking and our living. We will know when we have erred in our actions, and when we are not thinking well.

No church program or fad has more power than the prayers of a righteous man, singular. There was a church in the 60's that simply fell in love with the Word. In thirty years that love had spread the gospel to just about every continent. No plan, no program, no conferences or high school slogans for pep talks but people simply realizing they are fat sheep and they need to go spread the good news. It burned within them. They had been discipled.

I've written this a couple times lately but Tozer had written, "When Jesus Christ is glorified, the Holy Spirit will come."

Christ Jesus is the Word made flesh. The living Word of God. The bible has more to say to us today than possibly anytime in history and at a time when we need to be getting deeper into it we have clowns washing it down and we are getting further from it.

God is our teacher. Not mega church gurus.

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Just because a church has achieved megachurch status does not in any way mean it has fallen away from God. I stand by what I said- he has been and is still a blessing in my life, and many others as well. Note the four pillars of Harvest Bible Chapel:

Proclaiming the authority of God’s Word without apology

"Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching." 2 Timothy 4:2

Lifting high the name of Jesus through worship

"God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth." John 4:24

Believing firmly in the power of prayer

"Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints." Ephesians 6:18

Sharing the good news of Jesus with boldness

"And also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak." Ephesians 6:19-20

What a church says and what a church does of course are not always the same thing, but I can honestly say the church still lives up to these pillars. One day it may not, one day God may leave the church as He has so many others. For now though, praise God, He is still the priority.

And by the way, I happen to know for a fact Pastor James has given away, at no cost, many, many copies of this book, so he is not in it for the money.

God *is* our teacher as Zemke wrote, and He teaches through many means, including church pastors like James MacDonald.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Absolutely true that God uses a variety of teachers and he is not limited in who or what he can use. This is the reason Jesus told the disciples not to forbid anyone from doing work in Jesus name even when they did not follow after them. The path that God brought me down was littered with many heretical ideologies and false teachers but I was drawn to a place of truth. James MacDonald was used in my molding as well. I can still hear his voice in my head and that jingle "Walk, walk, in the Word.." While I don't follow after his teaching any longer God used what he had available to me at the time and I say forbid him not in the same spirit as Jesus did. God is still molding Mr MacDonald too. Peace be on him.

In Jesus Name,

Gary