IGNORED

Legislator will introduce gun bill in Congress

Guest Editor1

Free men own guns. Slaves do not.

This style of comment causes people who live in low gun ownership countries to think poorly upon the gun lobby. In Australia we don't have any slaves but only free men who may or may not own a gun.

Unless you have been joking then good joke. :D

Not a joke at all.

Every totalitarian government wants a disarmed populace. Then you are nothing more than a slave easily herded into the waiting boxcar for your trip to the re-education camps...cause that just doesn't happen...right?

An unarmed populace is easy to push around, the goal of liberals everywhere.

Editor1- Maybe we should all be like Chicago, where they have some of the strictest gun control laws in America, because they have completely eliminated gun violence. /sarc off.

In Australia the people use their vote to effectively bring change in government and legislation ( not in all issues but many. The next election here the people will use their vote to remove an unwanted carbon tax it seems etc :D).

After the Australian federal government( and all state governments),post 1996, effected stronger gun control laws they were returned to power in the next election.

Currently, about 5.2% of Australian adults (765,000 people)[1] own and use firearms for purposes such as hunting, controlling feral animals, collecting, and target shooting.

We don't live in fear in Australia of a totalitarian government ( real or imagined ) and the mostly unarmed Australian populace are quite capable of removing an unfit government without weapons. :D.

I suggest if the current USA government effects stronger gun control laws the people will use their vote in the next election to remove this party considering the level of gun ownership.

About 25% of the adults in the United States personally own a gun, the vast majority of them men.[14] About half of the adult U.S. population lived in households with guns

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Ninhao - There are many things different about America than Australia.

Hunting is one of them.

Street gangs is another.

Ninhao - There are many things different about America than Australia.

Hunting is one of them.

Street gangs is another.

I agree Nebula which is why I dislike sweeping generalisations concerning an armed society.

In Australia we ( the overwhelming majority) do not live in fear of gangs, school shootings, a tyrannical government etc and hence do not fear being unarmed with guns.

We do however have the right to a gun under strict rules. I would like to give an example of one rule ( I think this information is correct ) which I like here. A person wishes to own a hand gun for target shooting. This person needs to register with a gun club and over a period of time ( I believe 6 months ) this person is observed for competency in weapon use and competency in weapon management ( which I think loosely refers to perceived sanity :D ). After this time of assessment the person may obtain a license for a hand gun. This particulay information has been taken from a gun owner and I have not verified it.

Edited by ninhao

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

We have to display competency for concealed carry permits in the US. I took a Hunter Safety Course in Middle School in Texas, and was able to use that, but, also, since I'm in the military that's easy to demonstrate as we have to get qualified on small arms. Which includes safety, competency in dismantling and reassembling the weapon, and shooting at a 50% accuracy. If you can shoot at a 90% accuracy rate you get a sharpshooter achievement.

Guest Editor1

How on earth do you propose to decide who should carry a gun and who should not?

How do you know who the next mass shooter will be?

If you can answer those questions reasonably, I'm willing to reconsider my stance.

That's the beauty of our 2nd Amendment right, it's not up to anyone to decide who should and shouldn't own a gun. As for Carry Permits, there is a process in place. Competency has to be demonstrated, and you must have a clean criminal record, also no history of mental illness.

Most of the mass shooters, if not all, were mentally incompetent to posess a firearm. This recent one, was under 21. If gun laws work, why wasn't he dissuaded from carrying a gun, knowing he wasn't 21? I mean, who in their right mind would carry a gun when they knew they weren't old enough to? Sheese, didn't he know that what he was doing was illegal?

What his mother should have done, is use a thumb print safe that only she could access. My guess is, she probably stored the firearms in a easily accessable location. As a gun owner she was responsible for securing those firearms around minors, in this case anyone under 21. She didn't, she paid the ultimate price for her negligence, but so did 26 other people.

Existing gun laws didn't stop this murderer. Even existing laws, such as, Do Not Murder, couldn't stop him. Gun laws that said he wasn't allowed to carry firearms on a school campus didn't stop him. Gun laws that said he couldn't discharge a firearm in a public place did not stop him. Tell me, what law would stop this guy?

Would a law banning guns stop him? Or, if we follow his example, as a criminal and a murderer, don't you think banned gun laws would stop him either?

The fact is, the technology to create firearms is out there, they will always be a part of our life. Now, we have to ask ourselves, what do we want more of, criminals or victims?

I know this, stricter gun laws won't reduce the amount of criminals in society, but I can guarantee they will create more victims.

http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/gun-control-zealots-rise-again/

http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/how-to-stop-the-slaughter-of-the-innocents/

At least look at the photo he is referring to.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,703
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Im going to add this, australia, right now, is a free country. That is a true statement. Australia, doesnt allow guns. True statement. All power but Gods corrupts. Also a true statement. So right now, Australias a free country, thats not to say it always will. With all due respect-I get tired of hearing australians saying "we dont guns and look how good we are" I got news for you, just because your governments good now and you have a voice now, doesnt mean you always will, sooner or later, your government-just like the USes, will turn, and then there will be nothing you can do about it. Im not saying that to be mean-Im saying that because its a fact-every single democracy or republic in the history of mankind-has turned corrupt, and ended in a dictatorship, and then conquest by another country. Its an endless cycle. I know your happy with where you live-but its not perfect. Neither is America, Americas far from perfect, so dont think Im grand standing here-just pointing out a few observations.

http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/the-dead-soul-of-adam-lanza/

“No set of laws can eliminate evil from the world, or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society.”

Guess who said this? PBHO.