• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

By: Pastor Josh Buice

Westboro Baptist Church is a well known hate group that travels around the country making appearances at the funerals of soldiers who have died in combat, conventions such as the Southern Baptist Convention, and other well attended venues. They show up with signs that read, “God Hates Fags” and “Thank God For Dead Soldiers” to name just two of their hate messages. In 2008, I ran into Westboro on the streets of Indianapolis Indiana while attending the Southern Baptist Convention. They were standing on the corner of a major intersection outside of the convention center with hate signs. As people were stopped at the red light, they were making statements like, “God hates you” and “America is under the judgment of God.” Following that encounter, I conducted an interview with Shirley Phelps-Roper, and her responses to the questions I asked are frightening.

I recently read that the Westboro group is planning to picket the vigil of the Connecticut school shooting victims. As I read that report, I immediately thought about the message of hate that the group will spread during a time of great sorrow and grief. The WBC message is full of hate and void of grace. As I considered their commitment to spread a message of hate, it occurred to me that they should personally apply their own message before taking it to the streets. Is it possible that God hates Westboro Baptist Church?

The Bible refers to God’s hatred toward sin. God’s hatred is controlled, calculated, and righteous. You never see God in a fit of uncontrolled rage. However, God’s fury and wrath is something to greatly fear for all unbelievers. That message is abundantly clear in Scripture. Consider the following statements about God’s hatred.

In Proverbs 6:16-19 the Bible says:

There are six things that the LORD hates, seven that are an abomination to him: [17] haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, [18] a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, [19] a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.

Out of this list of things that are an abomination to the LORD, WBC is certainly guilty of several of these points on an ongoing basis.

1. WBC appears to be guilty of having haughty eyes (a state of self exaltation). God hates haughty eyes.

2. WBC is guilty of having a lying tongue. Their message is a false gospel, a message of condemnation, a message full of judgment without mercy. As I have personally heard them preaching on the street corner, conducted an interview with Shirley Phelps-Roper and read through their website material over the years, I am certain that their message is full of lies and does not relay the good news of Jesus Christ. God hates a lying tongue – especially one that lies about the gospel.

3. WBC may not be guilty of shedding innocent blood, but they appear to be guilty of 1 John 3:15 which states, “Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.”

4. WBC is guilty of devising wicked plans. Their plans to picket funerals of soldiers and vigils for little children who died in school shootings, with messages of hate, are wicked plans. Plans to rush toward people in their most horrific moments of pain with signs that read “God hates you” are nothing less than wicked. God hates a heart that devises wicked plans.

5. WBC appears to be guilty of being swift to run to evil. It appears that WBC is quick to celebrate the death of soldiers and tragedies such as the Connecticut school shooting. They appear, by their online activity, interviews, and actions to be swift to rush toward their evil plans. God hates this type of behavior.

6. WBC is guilty of being a false witness who breathes out lies. They consistently breathe out lies about soliders and evangelical churches. For instance, they picketed the 2008 Southern Baptist Convention and looked at me on the street and accused me of being a supporter of the homosexual movement because I was a member of the Southern Baptist Convention. They have no idea of how the SBC operates apparently (the SBC does not support the homosexual agenda), and they certainly don’t know me personally. But, while holding a hate message sign – they openly accused me falsely on the street. God hates the person who behaves this way.

7. WBC is guilty of sowing discord with their hateful signs and messages. Rather than preaching the gospel (which literally means good news), they are committed to a message of condemnation, darkness, judgment, and wrath. It is necessary to proclaim the truth about sin prior to showing someone the love of God in Jesus Christ (the gospel), however, WBC never proclaims a message of love – only hate. Because of their messages, people are often confused, hurt, offended, and turned off to what they have to say. Their message is full of discord and confusion rather than love and truth! God hates this type of behavior.

Before Westboro Baptist Church shows up in Connecticut with signs that read “God hates you” – perhaps they should consider the possibility that God hates Westboro Baptist Church. Before they go and preach for people to repent, perhaps they should practice what they preach. Before they scream out to crowds of people to fear God’s coming judgment, perhaps they should fear God’s coming judgment. Self righteousness is a powerful trap – and one that entraps many people. Perhaps Westboro should consider the warning of Jesus to religious people:

Matthew 7:21-23 - “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. [22] On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ [23] And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

May God have mercy on WBC! May God open their eyes to see the truth!

http://deliveredbygrace.com/?p=3347

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.50

First of all this group of protesters are something like a cult that blows a whistle on people like as though they were

appointed by God to do so.

Those who disrupts funerals with their protesting signs ... to me are not of the Spirit of God.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

No, God does not hate Westboro Baptist Church. They do not seem to have an understanding of loving others though.

Perhaps they need someone to minister to them... without the vitriol and I realize that is prob easier said then done

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Content Count:  436
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  13

Very good writing tinky. It sounds like they need prayers to be stopped. I had never heard of them till your post. Thank you for raising awareness.

You know, Westboro is obvious. They make it a point to make sure we all know what they think about things.

However, none of us can conceal anything from God and I am positive that there are thousands of Christians (named anyway)

who, if we could read their minds, would be revealed to have an equal amount of hatred and sinful behavior going on between

the ears.

Even non-Christians know that Westboro does not act like a Christian church. That, is something that becomes apparent as

one reads comments under newspaper articles on the net.

Finger pointing is definitely an armchair sport in many circles and I'm guilty of it myself but becoming less so by the grace of

God

good post, tinky.

oh i'm quite certain God DOES hate the westboro baptist church, and everything it stands for. now, whether he literally hates the individual people in the church, i don't know. i'm not God. His thoughts are not my thoughts.

sevenseas, i can't remember (and your profile doesn't say) but i'm thinking you live outside the united states... am i right? or am i confusing you with someone else (again)? the people in this so-called church are all related. they close ranks so tightly around their own that no outsiders can get in. they intermarry (within legal boundaries, i presume) and brainwash their children from birth to believe that God has called them to be so full of hate. to minister to one would require somehow getting one separated from the group, and then putting that one through months of de-programming.

i've encountered their group once, when they protested at my daughter's high school years ago. even their pre-school children were carrying signs and demonstratiing. these i honestly think that the only two who are ever allowed normal contact with the outside world are phelps and his daughter. haven't heard of phelps in a while, he may be dead. but the daughter is on tv frequently. there is no reasoning with her. she twists scripture and preaches hate.

and sadly, to an unbelieving world, there really are a LOT of unbelievers who look at the WBC and believe that they are the models of what christianity look like. they believe all christians are like that underneath the sugar-coated lies "we" tell the world.

i know that if one of them were to repent and truly turn to God, He would welcome them with open arms... and I would rejoice right alongside the angels for that person's salvation. but as a group, it's an evil. and God doesn't love evil.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

By: Pastor Josh Buice

Westboro Baptist Church is a well known hate group that travels around the country making appearances at the funerals of soldiers who have died in combat, conventions such as the Southern Baptist Convention, and other well attended venues. They show up with signs that read, “God Hates Fags” and “Thank God For Dead Soldiers” to name just two of their hate messages. In 2008, I ran into Westboro on the streets of Indianapolis Indiana while attending the Southern Baptist Convention. They were standing on the corner of a major intersection outside of the convention center with hate signs. As people were stopped at the red light, they were making statements like, “God hates you” and “America is under the judgment of God.” Following that encounter, I conducted an interview with Shirley Phelps-Roper, and her responses to the questions I asked are frightening.

I recently read that the Westboro group is planning to picket the vigil of the Connecticut school shooting victims. As I read that report, I immediately thought about the message of hate that the group will spread during a time of great sorrow and grief. The WBC message is full of hate and void of grace. As I considered their commitment to spread a message of hate, it occurred to me that they should personally apply their own message before taking it to the streets. Is it possible that God hates Westboro Baptist Church?

The Bible refers to God’s hatred toward sin. God’s hatred is controlled, calculated, and righteous. You never see God in a fit of uncontrolled rage. However, God’s fury and wrath is something to greatly fear for all unbelievers. That message is abundantly clear in Scripture. Consider the following statements about God’s hatred.

In Proverbs 6:16-19 the Bible says:

There are six things that the LORD hates, seven that are an abomination to him: [17] haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, [18] a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, [19] a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.

Out of this list of things that are an abomination to the LORD, WBC is certainly guilty of several of these points on an ongoing basis.

1. WBC appears to be guilty of having haughty eyes (a state of self exaltation). God hates haughty eyes.

2. WBC is guilty of having a lying tongue. Their message is a false gospel, a message of condemnation, a message full of judgment without mercy. As I have personally heard them preaching on the street corner, conducted an interview with Shirley Phelps-Roper and read through their website material over the years, I am certain that their message is full of lies and does not relay the good news of Jesus Christ. God hates a lying tongue – especially one that lies about the gospel.

3. WBC may not be guilty of shedding innocent blood, but they appear to be guilty of 1 John 3:15 which states, “Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.”

4. WBC is guilty of devising wicked plans. Their plans to picket funerals of soldiers and vigils for little children who died in school shootings, with messages of hate, are wicked plans. Plans to rush toward people in their most horrific moments of pain with signs that read “God hates you” are nothing less than wicked. God hates a heart that devises wicked plans.

5. WBC appears to be guilty of being swift to run to evil. It appears that WBC is quick to celebrate the death of soldiers and tragedies such as the Connecticut school shooting. They appear, by their online activity, interviews, and actions to be swift to rush toward their evil plans. God hates this type of behavior.

6. WBC is guilty of being a false witness who breathes out lies. They consistently breathe out lies about soliders and evangelical churches. For instance, they picketed the 2008 Southern Baptist Convention and looked at me on the street and accused me of being a supporter of the homosexual movement because I was a member of the Southern Baptist Convention. They have no idea of how the SBC operates apparently (the SBC does not support the homosexual agenda), and they certainly don’t know me personally. But, while holding a hate message sign – they openly accused me falsely on the street. God hates the person who behaves this way.

7. WBC is guilty of sowing discord with their hateful signs and messages. Rather than preaching the gospel (which literally means good news), they are committed to a message of condemnation, darkness, judgment, and wrath. It is necessary to proclaim the truth about sin prior to showing someone the love of God in Jesus Christ (the gospel), however, WBC never proclaims a message of love – only hate. Because of their messages, people are often confused, hurt, offended, and turned off to what they have to say. Their message is full of discord and confusion rather than love and truth! God hates this type of behavior.

Before Westboro Baptist Church shows up in Connecticut with signs that read “God hates you” – perhaps they should consider the possibility that God hates Westboro Baptist Church. Before they go and preach for people to repent, perhaps they should practice what they preach. Before they scream out to crowds of people to fear God’s coming judgment, perhaps they should fear God’s coming judgment. Self righteousness is a powerful trap – and one that entraps many people. Perhaps Westboro should consider the warning of Jesus to religious people:

Matthew 7:21-23 - “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. [22] On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ [23] And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

May God have mercy on WBC! May God open their eyes to see the truth!

http://deliveredbygrace.com/?p=3347

God loves the sinner and not the sin,He hates sin and it will be judged, don't for get it's only by grace that we are saved and not by anything we did on our own.

Can you blame non Christian blaming this kind of behavior and calling all Christian judgementel and unloving?

What people around us need to see is Jesus in OUR lives and what we have to do is to stay humble and with the help of the Holy Spirit Christians should live their Christian life so people around us may see that we have something special.

To say that God hates that church? "No" He doesn't ,but it hurt Him to see how they show their way of thinking to the world. May God show them the truth.

Praying for that church....Angels

sevenseas, i can't remember (and your profile doesn't say) but i'm thinking you live outside the united states... am i right? or am i confusing you with someone else (again)? the people in this so-called church are all related. they close ranks so tightly around their own that no outsiders can get in. they intermarry (within legal boundaries, i presume) and brainwash their children from birth to believe that God has called them to be so full of hate. to minister to one would require somehow getting one separated from the group, and then putting that one through months of de-programming.

Hi Lady C....yes, you are right...I currently live in Canada and I am Canadian. However, I've lived in the US for about 8+ years and my husband

is American...his parents were missionairies (he's a pk) and he was born overseas but came to the US later and basically grew up in Michigan

I do know who the Westborians are (like how could you not know, right LOL) and that they are family

I understand they do hateful things and hate filled things.

But God does not hate them. I don't mean to sound religious or passive or holier than thou but I do not believe God hates them. They are, IMO,

a strange group and I have to ask God...What's up here? Why do you allow this?

Signs of our times I think...but I have not stopped to put it all together..God has allowed them and we have allowed far

too much sin that passes for Christian behavior

I have to look more and more with spiritual eyes at what is going on around us because otherwise, I would despair

I hope this makes sense...in no way do I chastise anyone for their own feelings regarding this, and I do understand, but for some reason,

I think my mind is changing about things...I have had so much unrest and pain over the actions and words of those close to me in my family,

that I have cried out for peace and this, I believe, is God showing me how to live...or part of it

My mother has caused so much pain that without God I think I would do her in by now. Seriously

sevenseas

Even non-Christians know that Westboro does not act like a Christian church. That, is something that becomes apparent as

one reads comments under newspaper articles on the net.

They are very well known. Some of the things they don't like, God does not like, but their list is far larger than Gods. They do have a zeal about them, while the rest of us just sit in a church pew. Is there something to learn from this?

Mike.

Interesting Mike...I just read yr post after I made the one above...so you can see, that yes, I do think we need to take a better look

God is always speaking....always...but we have to sit with Him to hear Him over the roar of the crowd ;)

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.50

yes...we are saved by grace.

But, this protesting is misleading the people all over the world about christianty . They show hate and judging people ...especially at funerals.

That made my stomach churn when I saw this on the news on the t.v.

Com'on ...that is too far fetched .

This is a a group of cultisum .