Waiting2BwithHim

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Man was told not to eat from the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, but he did anyway. God then stepped in and gave man a different direction in life, as found in Genesis 3. God also said that a man shall leave his mother and cleave to his wife and the two shall become one, but man was not satisfied and took onto himself more than one wife, so God stepped in again and gave more direction. The list can go on, but the point is, man disobeyed God and God, through his mercy, tried to guide man back to Him. God is love and love never forces itself on anyone, but finds a way to work through the issues.

Some people spend a lot of time trying to find where God has OKed something so they can partake in it, or stand behind someone else partaking in it. In doing so, they ignore His first precepts, also ignoring that it was not God who changed them, but the sinful nature of man and God replied trying to work with the sinful man.

Jesus came and tried to correct mans ways by pointing back to the original precept, one man and one woman makes a marriage. Yet, man still wanting to set himself higher then he actually is, continues to find ways to ignore the basics to fulfill his own pride.

There was an argument a while back that God allowed multiple wives to populate the earth. I considered this for awhile and the conclusion I came back with is that the population would mean more of the same rebellion. I do not believe God has given His stamp of approval to have multiple spouses, but has instead decided to work with man and his sin to draw him back to Himself. Even Jesus went to where the sinners were to work with them in the condition they are in.

That is all well and good, but why was polygamy allowed in the law of Moses? Why was it regulated? Why not just forbid the practice?

It the same answer that has been shown before which you have been shown. You have shown none that says that polygamy is not sinful. You have shown it was allowed and Jesus told those trying to trap Him about divorce. The principle is still the same as given in Gen 2:24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. This has never changed from God view point, if so where?

The Lord's answer would apply to any man having more than one wife and sexual relations outside of that one woman would be sinful otherwise why would one wife be the norm for a bishop or deacon? This sounds a lot like your question doesn't it?

Matt 19:7-9 They said to Him, “Why then did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?”

8 He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.” As the blind man ask those who did not believe him when he told him them the same answer concerning who healed him, will you believe it now?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Sin is the transgression of the law, and my point is there is no law against polygamy. I do think you have an interesting point about divorce, but I have a different take on that. I don't believe Moses wrote the law. God gave Moses the law, and he wrote it down. That includes the bill of divorcement. What Jesus straightened out was what was meant by the term, "some uncleanness." People were abusing the law of divorce to allow it for any cause, and he straightened that out. With regard to polygamy, the practice was allowed and regulated. There is nothing that comes later on to show it ever became a sin.

Something I find odd here is how people are so ready to add to the Word to show polygamy a sin, and those are the same people that attack legalism, and those who would add to the Word of God to say something is wrong. Divorce and re-marriage has nothing to do with polygamy. It is an entirely different subject.

What I find odd is that you never post the scripture to show that polygamy is not the same as marriage or adultery or where it says it was never a sin. Is that not adding to the word of God? Showing polygamy is a sin is not adding to word of God, it is supported the word of God. Sexual acts outside of marriage is a sin, you said it yourself, polygamy is not marriage and then you defend it in the next line by saying it is ok with God. But no scripture to support your belief, now that is what I call strange. :beehive:

Edited by allofgrace

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Butero:

The bride of Christ analogy is a good one to show that God's best is one man and one woman in marriage, but that is not my point. I am simply saying that polygamy is not a sin, a transgression of the law. I also believe there are some instances where it is good to allow it. It wasn't that long ago where I read a story that they were considering legalizing polygamy in Russia because there weren't enough men for all the women. It never happened, but according to scripture, there will be a time where 7 women will cling to one man in marriage as a result of not enough men to go around due to war.

I'm not sure what is your point at this point.

It seems you are struggling for some sort of justification of polygamy with a verse that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with polygamous relationships and the introduction of a story you read somewhere, no references given, concerning a country that long ago disavowed any connection with Christianity from the Federal Assembly on.

Your belief, concerning polygamy, is stated: I also believe there are some instances where it is good to allow it. post 66 where you respond to my post above it. You cite Isaiah 4:1 concerning seven women and one man.

The verse in Isaiah is taken out of context. It is simply not a proof text for your belief that polygamy is God's plan. This is not a referral to polygamy; it is actually a prophetic utterance by the prophet Isaiah concerning a war that will decimate the male population. In Biblical times, a woman would be doubly disgraced if left a widow and childless, as the last part of verse 1 confirms.

What is Isaiah actually addressing here? The need for polygamy and how great a plan it is, or is he actually telling of God's judgement on a sinful nation and the resulting calamity which results in more sin. If we are going to take verses out of context like this, we should also throw in the one about women eating their own children.

That, would make equal proof for cannibalism if disaster is the standard on which we base our morality and understand the Bible.

I have already shown that you were not correct when you state Nathan told David that God would have given him more wives. I have gone to some trouble to provide the actual context and basis for Nathan's remarks and they do not fit in with your opinions.

I really do not think you have provided anything other than your own opinion, as in fact you state in your own post....your belief that you think that

polygamy is a good idea...at times. One wonders which times those might be.

Verse 1 of chapter four is a continuation of the prophecy in chapter 3...and that prophecy is JUDGEMENT ON JERUSALEM AND JUDAH...which

according to some has already happened and according to some is yet to happen. In any event, there is guessing about the number seven (7 women) which is often used to describe an indefinite number, so you thinking seven might actually mean 300 to the Jewish people back when the prophecy was given.

These would be taken to mean young women, women, normally modest enough, who would be so desperate, they would forego their modesty

and grab hold of a man and also, the way of life they were used to which was no longer available to them.

I have consulted all notes I could find available on several sites that contain the entire Bible, notes, comments, studies and various other

sources NONE of which agree with either your opinion on polygamy.

Guess who I'm going to go with?

I do not know what else God has to do to demonstrate that one man and one woman is HIS plan.

At any rate, I understand Butero that you believe one and one is better.....I just am stumpified that you do not reach the conclusion

that Biblical commentators have understood for years greater than your time on earth, and certainly mine, and that the Holy Spirit

has illustrated throughout scripture with the presentation of Israel as the Bride, believers as the bride and even the body of all

believers as one.

Go figure

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Man was told not to eat from the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, but he did anyway. God then stepped in and gave man a different direction in life, as found in Genesis 3. God also said that a man shall leave his mother and cleave to his wife and the two shall become one, but man was not satisfied and took onto himself more than one wife, so God stepped in again and gave more direction. The list can go on, but the point is, man disobeyed God and God, through his mercy, tried to guide man back to Him. God is love and love never forces itself on anyone, but finds a way to work through the issues.

Some people spend a lot of time trying to find where God has OKed something so they can partake in it, or stand behind someone else partaking in it. In doing so, they ignore His first precepts, also ignoring that it was not God who changed them, but the sinful nature of man and God replied trying to work with the sinful man.

Jesus came and tried to correct mans ways by pointing back to the original precept, one man and one woman makes a marriage. Yet, man still wanting to set himself higher then he actually is, continues to find ways to ignore the basics to fulfill his own pride.

There was an argument a while back that God allowed multiple wives to populate the earth. I considered this for awhile and the conclusion I came back with is that the population would mean more of the same rebellion. I do not believe God has given His stamp of approval to have multiple spouses, but has instead decided to work with man and his sin to draw him back to Himself. Even Jesus went to where the sinners were to work with them in the condition they are in.

That is all well and good, but why was polygamy allowed in the law of Moses? Why was it regulated? Why not just forbid the practice?

I guess I did not explain it well enough. Because of the hardness of mans heart. Why didn't God just put an end to humans when Adam and Eve disobeyed Him in the garden? God works with us to show us that our ways are the wrong ways, and the only way He can do that is to allow us to "try it our way" first. When we come to realize that our way is wrong, He reminds us of His way.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,158
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I guess I did not explain it well enough. Because of the hardness of mans heart. Why didn't God just put an end to humans when Adam and Eve disobeyed Him in the garden? God works with us to show us that our ways are the wrong ways, and the only way He can do that is to allow us to "try it our way" first. When we come to realize that our way is wrong, He reminds us of His way.

Yes as this 'IS' what 'IS'... also God has clearly called us to image Him- now what that entails

is God's boundless knowing and our pleasure in the finding of it out.... I call to mind God's allowance

yet ever demanding through His Word this truth in everything that we do

Mt 7:2

2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged;

and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.

NKJV

so even in the allowance there is reason outside of ourselves

utilizing that which is in us as standard for our living~ simply put

here

Lk 6:38

38 Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down,

shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For

with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you."

NKJV

surely one only need to reverse the situation to understand the loss of specialty by being

just one among many to choose from.... the question then lies why would you wish to do

this to the woman? Love, Steven

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Matthew 19

9 And I say to you, Whoever shall put away his wife, except for fornication, and shall marry another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is put away commits adultery.

Why does Jesus say the sin is adultery in this case? If polygamy was acceptable, then a man should not be committing adultery if he marries another woman after a divorce.

Divorce and re-marriage is a sin, but polygamy is not. A man could have multiple wives at one time, and as long as they remain married, there is no sin. If he puts one of them away, and someone else marries that woman, that is sin. They are two separate issues.

A man who puts away his wife and marries another commits adultery. It would not be adultery if polygamy was not a sin.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Just for the sake of asking the question. Lets say that Sevensea's is ***wrong***,

So Mensa's out then, is it? sSa_sadeyes_zpsc0993c85.gif

Edited by OneLight

Just for the sake of asking the question. Lets say that Sevensea's is ***wrong***,

So Mensa's out then, is it? sSa_sadeyes_zpsc0993c85.gif

Perhaps womensa's :red_smile: Edited by OneLight

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Would grabbing a bunch of extra wives disqualify me from ministry? The Scriptures seem to suggest that would be the case. In other words, God is OK with it, but when it comes to being called into the 5 fold ministry, then you would have to kick out the wives down to just one.

If you have to give the extra wives the pink slip to be in ministry, then would that not set the high standard for the will of God today for all believers?

Jesus Is Lord.

Have to agree, People misread what Jesus actually said. Jesus would never disagree with the Written Word or Moses. Divorce is a sin puts people in bondage.

Jesus Is Lord.

When Jesus spoke to the Samaritan woman at the well, did he not say "for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband". It would seem to show that marriage to one wife would mean the first and only marriage, not a multiple marriage concept of marriage, divorce and remarriage. Jesus did not disregard her last marriage as being alone, as in "one", but knew and kept the history.

Really people use the mennoggin...

Eph 5:25-33

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. 30 For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. 31 "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

NKJV

Now who wants The Lord to divorce us? .... Love, Steven