Psychology useful or not?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  631
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2

i don't trust shrinks. i trust Jesus Christ. we are empowered with the authority to cast out all manner of oppressive spirits.

i believe that includes mental illnesses, which can be and are rooted in demonic activity.

Jesus Christ is LORD.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

You do not need our permission. Ask God to direct your path, and He will.

Praying that He does just that!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

You do not need our permission. Ask God to direct your path, and He will.

Praying that He does just that!

I don't think that I was asking for approval or permission.

There is a stigma in the world about acknowledging you have gone, or thinking about going to a Psychiatrist and much more of a stigma in the Church of Jesus Christ.

There is a stigma in the world about acknowledging you have gone, or thinking about going to a Psychiatrist and much more of a stigma in the Church of Jesus Christ.

How do you feel about that stigma?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

I roll with the flow, don't let it bother me, thanks for asking. :)

I roll with the flow, don't let it bother me, thanks for asking. :)

Good. :)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I wouldn't have a problem with it. I went once to a secular Psych years ago during a period of extreme emotional distress...I explained the prob

and she said "What are you doing here? You don't need my help." That actually helped. I had made a very tough decision but was second

guessing myself....I guess I needed a 2nd opinion from someone other than family.

I have actually taken a good number of University level courses (for credits) in both psychiatry and counselling. I do filter what I have learned

through scripture and I continue to study and find it quite fascinating actually.

The role of 'shrink' is actually to help a person work through their problems and understand them. That, coupled with prayer and

Bible study is good medicine IMO. So many seem to think that if you have a prob or something you cannot quite cope with there

must be something wrong with your Christianity. Where in scripture are we told to go it alone?

It starts to remind me of those who will not go to a doctor when they are sick but insist that God is going to heal them and refuse

medical aid. Again, I always pray, but if I require a doctor, then I go. I have also experienced healing from God but I also believe

that God can and does guide doctors...both Christian and non Christian.

I guess what I am trying to say here, is this: put your trust in God but trust Him to lead you to the help you need if you require it.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Ecc 3:1 ¶ To every [thing there is] a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

On my journey to God, he used many people. I have seen a few head doctors. My favorite psychological resource that was used was a program called reality therapy. It was created by Dr William Glasser and is intent on bringing the patient to a place of aligning his mind with reality using medication only as a last resort when necessary. God used this in more ways than one in my life. As sevenseas said, trust God and ask him to guide the process. She is right.

I was incapable of accepting biblical help at the time the secular was available to me but getting my head straight helped me understand the biblical later on.

Amen~! Giving Thanksgiving For The Psychiatrist

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

And Glory To God

Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing. Revelation 5:12

And

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. Luke 4:18-19

Knowing Healing Is Coming

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. Revelation 21:4-5

I Sing Glory Glory Glory To The KING OF KINGS

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Once again I will agree with what Sevenseas wrote. If you're physically ill, and prayer alone doesn't heal you, go to a medical Doctor. And if you have an emotional problem and prayer alone doesn't heal you, go to a Doc who deals with mental and emotional problems.

There are 3 basic kinds, and I explained them in my first post. But it bares repeating because the average person finds it so confusing. There are Psychologists. These people have the title of Doctor because they have a PhD, usually in psychology. These Doc's usually do talk therapy and will see you once or more a week. Unfortunately many insurance companies only want to pay for twice a month. There are also CSW's (Certified Social Workers) and psychiatric nurses who also do talk therapy. These are usually cheaper and they are more abundant because the training is much less than to get a PhD. None of these therapists are licensed to use meds. At least not in NY State. The advantage of the therapist is you see him/her more often.

Then there is the Psychiatrist. This person was first a medical doctor who chose to specialize in mental illness. This is the kind of Doc who can prescribe meds. However, due to the abundance of people who need them, as well as the shortage of Psychiatrists, very few will also do talk therapy with you. Therefore you generally see them once a month, and some insurance won't even pay for that. This is the kind of Doc you'd go to if you see or hear things other people tell you are not there. This is also the kind of Doc you need if you suddenly find yourself in places you don't recall going to. We used to call this Multiple Personality Disorder, and the illness was made famous by the case of Sybil. This used to be a very rare illness. Most psychiatrists wouldn't see even 1 case in a lifetime. But for some reason it's becoming more common. Especially among teenagers and young people. This is a very serious illness, and if you or someone you know loses time, or doesn't remember going to a place where they are, they need to see a psychiatrist asap. In cases like these, usually talk therapy and medications are necessary.

And of course prayer is always a good idea too.