• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

Someone I know came back to the LORD, but while they were away and living the sinner's life, they often told friends and other people things that weren't true. They told me what they had said, and none of those things would have caused another hurt. My friend did what he did to make himself look better, What he wants to know is, does he have to go back and find all of those people and tell them the truth?

I'm not sure that such a thing is necessary, in fact it might cause more harm than good. Still, I'd like to see what opinions some of you have in the matter.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

The week after I was saved I went on a journey. I got in my car and did a trip of about 400 miles. I stopped in at everyone I had hurt, had words with, or just thought was an idiot (at the time).

I apologized to every one of them and told them why. It was an amazing, humbling experience, and not once was I rejected. (some people nearly had heart attacks.....)

To this day they know where I stand and Who I stand for.

I am not saying your friend should do likewise, but he could just go and ask them for forgiveness for anything he may have ever said or done that hurt them (no need to get into the specifics if it is going to cause hurt, his sins are now in the past, but I did it because I had to in order to "kill some demons" - not in the real sense, but stuff I needed to get rid of)

I would let my concious be my guide.

Sorry, that's "conscience." I knew it didn't look right.

Edited by Parker1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

I made my peace with God. I didnt go back to others to ask them for forgiveness. He should pray and see what the Lord wants. It could be he needs to go back or it could be that he doesnt.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

I suppose the question is what does our brother need to do to be right with the Lord? I deal with this everyday. I meet Christians and non-believers or all walks of life who are simply miserable and guilt ridden and don't know why or what to do about it. As mentioned above the conscience needs to be the guide and according to Paul it takes work (the context of this verse is worth meditating on considering the topic).

Act 24:16 And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and [toward] men.

But the problem with the conscience alone as a guide is that it can be damaged and in need of repair and that takes help from a Christian brother who has a conscience in good working order that can 'wash' his brothers feet. The conscience is a goad and not a guide as it is merely our collective understanding of morality and is programmable.

Two things to consider:

1. Paul always kept a clear conscience before God. Even when he was dragging Christians out unto their death he thought he was doing God a favor by destroying the lawbreakers.
    • Act 23:1 And Paul, earnestly beholding the council, said, Men [and] brethren, I have lived in all good conscience before God until this day.
[*]We can 'put away' our conscience or sear over with a hot iron.

• 1Ti 1:19 Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:
  • 1Ti 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

So here is how the process works:

[*]God calls us out of darkness.

[*]We turn to God and seek his face.

[*]We confess that which we understand to be wrong.

[*]As leopards we desire to have our spots changed.

[*]We humbly approach the throne of Grace and ask to be changed.

[*]We go about living the new life and clearing our conscience of all that it convicts us of.

[*]We continue to seek to learn, know and grow in Christ.

Your friend has been internally provoked to come to you and ask about something that he is getting some conviction about. Making amends for wrongs committed unto others is something that is definitely and absolutely necessary when possible. I find that if I simply go to someone saying "I'm sorry", that I am truly saying "I will do this to you again." There is a big difference between saying "I'm sorry" and godly sorrow that leads to true repentance and cleansing. I find that I didn't change until I was broken over my sin and truly sought out people that I hurt to actually make things right as long as my attempts to do so would not cause further injury.

What your friend needs is to be 'discipled'. He needs an elder brother who has experience in this area to guide him as he grows. One who can encourage him when he is fearful but also seek to help him stay honest with himself as he goes through the process of sanctification. This is the basis for all 12 step fellowships. It is rooted in abstinence from immoral behavior based upon rigorous honesty that is kept up by having an elder to lead you while you lead the newer converts in a chain type link bonding yourselves one to another out of love received by Christ. I fellowship with Catholics and Protestants alike who each failed to 'get it' while sitting in a pew being preached at but received it well when someone who shared their hopeless condition explained it to them by sharing their own experience, strength and hope with them. If you need any 'examples' to help guide the process feel free to PM me as I have had much experience in making amends after I quit saying "I'm sorry" as everyone always knew how 'sorry' I was. To whom much is forgiven much loves.

Praying for your friend.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Old sins are forgiven the same way any other sin is forgiven. By the blood of Christ. Ask forgiveness and move on trusting that repentance and faith is all that is required. I think sometimes we dwell on old sins because we don't really have faith that they are forgiven.

Praise God that your friend returned. I bet all of heaven is celebrating.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

1Jo 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light we have fellowship one with another and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

Someone I know came back to the LORD, but while they were away and living the sinner's life, they often told friends and other people things that weren't true. They told me what they had said, and none of those things would have caused another hurt. My friend did what he did to make himself look better, What he wants to know is, does he have to go back and find all of those people and tell them the truth?

I'm not sure that such a thing is necessary, in fact it might cause more harm than good. Still, I'd like to see what opinions some of you have in the matter.

Once we come to a place of repentance for past wrongs we have done. The Lord will forgive those sins and no longer hold you accountable for those sins as if you never did them. However our past sins people will still remember our old life of sin and point fingers and such. My opinion is if you run across those people who was wronged then use your testimony how the Lord forgave you for what you had done in their past. Then sincerly apologize and ask their forgiveness. Tell them you hope that they could find it in their heart to forgive you as you are sorry for your actions. But I don't think it is necesssary to go hunt down those who were wronged.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

1Jo 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light we have fellowship one with another and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Amen! :)

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Jesus told the woman who was caught in sin to "go and sin no more" He did not say to go and ask forgiveness of everyone. Yet, the tax collector on his own said he would return tax that he had over collected. When we ask forgiveness for all our sin God is just and forgives and all the sin is put under the blood of Jesus who paid for each and every sin we committed - Done! or the blood of Jesus is not worth anything if we have to do something on our own.