IGNORED

Do you think we will literally live in mansions in heaven?

missmuffet

John 14:2-3 New King James version

In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.

NIV version

My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.

There is a difference in mansions and rooms in the two different translations. Do you think we will each have huge mansions or just the Blessing of living with Jesus all together in rooms?

:thumbsup:

~

Whatever We Will Have

And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:

And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads. Revelation 22:3-4

We'll Have Jesus

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The word translated as "mansions" is the same word translated as "abode in John 14:23 -

"Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him."

So, it's probably best to read John 14:2 as:

"In my Father's house are many abodes...."

:thumbsup:

~

Whatever We Will Have

And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:

And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads. Revelation 22:3-4

We'll Have Jesus

Amen, Joe. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

The word translated as "mansions" is the same word translated as "abode in John 14:23 -

"Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him."

So, it's probably best to read John 14:2 as:

"In my Father's house are many abodes...."

Their is also the translation"In my Father's house are many rooms".So that could mean a hugh building with all of us living in it.I do not need a mansion.I will just be happy living in a little cottage with nothing in it as long as Jesus will be by my side.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

I think the word was translated to mansions was to show it wasn't just an ordinary room, as most of us think of a room.  I think our dwelling place will be as magnificent as any mansion.  The only question I have is whether or not "my Father's house" indicates all of heaven itself, or New Jerusalem, as opposed to a huge mansion, where everyone will have a magnificent room of their own?  It well may be a literal mansion?  If God wants me to have a mansion, I will be more than happy to accept it. 

I sure am not going to say "But Lord I do not want this". :mgcheerful:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

a mansion can be different to different people as we all have a different station in life. I think God will be willing to give those he chooses to be there there desires so my mansion in heaven would not be your version of a mansion.

just a thought

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

well not unless i can have a maid....   my wife already says she's not cleaning up my messes after Jesus comes back.

Guest shiloh357

It is too easy to allow our western conceptions drive our theology on stuff like this.  For what would we need "mansions" in heaven?   I don't think Jesus is talking about a 152 room house with 100 acres of real estate.  

The problem is that heaven is far and away greater than anything we have a point of reference for in our experience.  The stuff we are going to see and experience in heaven are unimaginable.  I think when we talk about mansions, in our western conceptualizations, it is thinking too small.   Eye has not seen and ear has not heard...

well not unless i can have a maid....   my wife already says she's not cleaning up my messes after Jesus comes back.

I tried telling myself that but I would not listen to myself as I do my on cleaning.

It is too easy to allow our western conceptions drive our theology on stuff like this.  For what would we need "mansions" in heaven?   I don't think Jesus is talking about a 152 room house with 100 acres of real estate.  

The problem is that heaven is far and away greater than anything we have a point of reference for in our experience.  The stuff we are going to see and experience in heaven are unimaginable.  I think when we talk about mansions, in our western conceptualizations, it is thinking too small.   Eye has not seen and ear has not heard...

i think it is just a good healthy morale booster. I think down deep we all know no matter what our little minds conjure up is not really what it will be like we really can not imagine.