IGNORED

Can a someone "claim" to be "Spirit-Filled"...

George

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  616
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  3

I suppose being filled with the Spirit does not equate that someone is perfect and without sin, although in regards to a pastor this position is at a higher level of judgement, and even his children are required to serve the Lord, so if he or his wife and children, fail to live a good and Godly life he should be removed from his position, as he has failed to meet the biblical criteria for the job as pastor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.91

"if a pastor defends "sins from the pulpit", can you honestly believe they are filled with the Spirit?

I would need more information. Like what "sin" is he defending? There are "sins" such as hate, greed, simply uncaring about others. Then their are well more personal things. Like some people believe it is a "sin" to watch tv. Some may think it is a sin to go dancing. Some may think that rock music is a sin. So I would really need to know what "sin' is being defended in order for me to make such a call. It could be that the pastor is just mistaken in what they are saying. After all pastors are human like the rest of us and do make mistakes.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.91

so if he or his wife and children, fail to live a good and Godly life he should be removed from his position, as he has failed to meet the biblical criteria for the job as pastor

So....what you are saying is if a pastor has say a son who choose to reject all the teaches he has learn about Christ. Then his father who is the pastor should be removed from the church because his son made his own choice to go his own way by his own free will?  Dang I guess being a pastor is hard when you are responsible for the choices that others make. Be them good or bad.

Edited by LadyKay

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,466
  • Topics Per Day:  1.25
  • Content Count:  27,812
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  130
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

"if a pastor defends "sins from the pulpit", can you honestly believe they are filled with the Spirit?

I would need more information. Like what "sin" is he defending? There are "sins" such as hate, greed, simply uncaring about others. Then their are well more personal things. Like some people believe it is a "sin" to watch tv. Some may think it is a sin to go dancing. Some may think that rock music is a sin. So I would really need to know what "sin' is being defended in order for me to make such a call. It could be that the pastor is just mistaken in what they are saying. After all pastors are human like the rest of us and do make mistakes.

I can understand what you are suggesting LadyKay, but which "sins" can be defended from the pulpit?  Do you understand what I mean?  In all reality, a pastor is called to a HIGHER degree of accountability.

How can you know you've got a good pastor?  When they too, are seeking after the heart of God!

Jeremiah 3:15  "'And I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will feed you with knowledge and understanding.

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,466
  • Topics Per Day:  1.25
  • Content Count:  27,812
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  130
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

So....what you are saying is if a pastor has say a son who choose to reject all the teaches he has learn about Christ. Then his father who is the pastor should be removed from the church because his son made his own choice to go his own way by his own free will?  Dang I guess being a pastor is hard when you are responsible for the choices that others make. Be them good or bad.

so if he or his wife and children, fail to live a good and Godly life he should be removed from his position, as he has failed to meet the biblical criteria for the job as pastor

Raising a child in the nurturing of the Lord, doesn't always yield results immediately.  However, as an adult, everyone makes their own decisions.  I've known many preacher's kids that didn't come to the Lord until they were in their 20's, 30's and 40's.  However, the Bible does give qualifications for whom should be a pastor. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  308
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,151
  • Content Per Day:  4.59
  • Days Won:  327

It's funny George,I read all the opinions posted here (even my own)and I just chuckled....I really can't speak for anyone else but as for myself I believe at times I may read into something too much and over complicate a very simple matter!After looking at your question a third time I realize the key word(which for some reason I must have over looked)is"WILLINGLY"......My very simple answer to your very simple question is,no....."WILLINGLY" tells us that the person who is living a life of sin knows that they are in direct opposition to Gods Will and have deliberately made that decision knowing the consequence......The wages of sin is still death!                                                     God blessings and favor to you all,Kwik

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I would need more information. Like what "sin" is he defending?

The abortion doctor who was an elder of his church comes to mind.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

So true Fez.  My concern is that we've heaped upon ourselves this idea that a "feel good" message is a spirit-filled message. It's not necessarily so! 

Read the warning that Paul gave to Timothy!

2 Timothy 4:3-4  For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions,  and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.

Is that what's happening today?

As a rule yes. I see it in my home group and in my church, and mostly with the same people. On fire one minute and out the next. I almost think smoldering is better...

But I must qualify that I know many people who are Spirit filled. Nine times out of ten they are the quiet ones, not shy, just quiet. They speak when they need to, and then people listen. My wife is like that. She will sit through an entire discussion, heated or not, and when she decides to speak, the room goes quiet and people listen. Because there is always fruit in what she says.

Guest shiloh357

Shalom everyone,

There's a lot of discussions going on dealing with "liberal" Christianity, but I'm curious, can a person say they are "honestly" filled with the Spirit of God when they "willingly" live a life of sin?

The Scripture is pretty clear, "Acts 5:32  And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him."

Your brother in the Lord with much agape love,

George

Being filled with the Spririt means to be controlled by the Spirit.  Can someone, who supports abominable lifestyles, claim that the Lord has led them in their decision to support a lifestyle that God says He hates?   The answer to the question should be obvious.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Shalom everyone,

There's a lot of discussions going on dealing with "liberal" Christianity, but I'm curious, can a person say they are "honestly" filled with the Spirit of God when they "willingly" live a life of sin?

The Scripture is pretty clear, "Acts 5:32  And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him."

Your brother in the Lord with much agape love,

George

Being filled with the Spririt means to be controlled by the Spirit.  Can someone, who supports abominable lifestyles, claim that the Lord has led them in their decision to support a lifestyle that God says He hates?   The answer to the question should be obvious.

The answer is obvious yes. But i think that the phrase "filled with the Spirit" is used out of context in most churches today.

5,000 people bouncing up and down on their chairs listening to Jesus Culture live are not "filled with the Spirit" (although there would be many who may be "controlled" by the Spirit - I would prefer a different word, although I get what you are saying), they are just having a good time. Too often endorphin's and adrenaline are equated with being in the Spirit. One gets that feeling equally well from drinking spirits, usually with the same result the morning after - sort of a let down...