IGNORED

What do you think about breastfeeding? Cover or no cover?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

So what would you guys say to this then?

When it comes to nursing or breastfeeding I think considering intent is important. To me it seems breastfeeding in public at least in the U.S. is considered somewhat taboo. What I like to consider is why is a person dressing, acting, or talking a certain way? If it were to draw attention, particularly sexual attention, then I’d agree that's not modest. However, I don't think this is the case for a majority of mother's who breastfeed.

A baby has a legitimate need for food. A nursing mother is the one to provide this for her baby if possible. She does this through the use of her mammary glands which God created to allow her to nurture her child – this is completely natural.

Yet what is the general intention of a nursing mother? I would say most mothers do not purposefully try to cause other people distress or discomfort. I would say a mother's heart/intention is to nurture and care for her baby. If a breast happens to come free of a nursing child it shouldn't be a big deal.

Consider too that many women don’t use covers or dislike using covers for practical reasons having to do with their children – the babies. Baby’s when using covers often get hot and squirmy. The baby often cannot see with a cover to latch on to begin the breastfeeding process. The baby also might want to see their mother or what is going on around them. Finally, breathing in tight spaces isn’t comfortable for anyone much less babies.

God bless,

GE

This week was breastfeeding week. Feel free to discuss one or more of these questions... :)

A. What do you think about breastfeeding? Cover or no cover?

B. What are the social norms in the culture/country you live in?

C. Do you know the laws in your country/state regarding breastfeeding?

A. What do you think about breastfeeding? Cover or no cover?  It does not bother me either way. I see nothing dirty or shameful about a women's breast.

B. What are the social norms in the culture/country you live in? I don't really know.

C. Do you know the laws in your country/state regarding breastfeeding? Do we really need laws for breastfeeding? I don't think so.

A. I agree it doesn't bother me either way. I view a nursing mother's breast when she's breastfeeding in a non-sexual manner. Nursing to me should be viewed as a functional and not a sensual act.

B. Do you live in the U.S.? If so please check out this link... http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/breastfeeding-state-laws.aspx

C. I believe there needs to be laws for breastfeeding because otherwise people are free to discriminate against women.

God bless,

GE

I think you have met the nail on the head GE. It is sad that we must inhibit godly methods to avoid ungodly consequences. Another sign of the fallen state.

I agree with you brother and in particular in bold. Which post are you referencing please?

God bless,

GE

In public....cover up.In the privacy of your own home and among your husband do as you wish.

Why cover it up in public? Do you view breastfeeding as a sexual or functional act? Curious.

God bless,

GE

I saw a commercial I thought amusing.

First scene: You see a mother at a restaurant breastfeeding her baby, blanket covering the baby and her shoulder, having a little difficulty keeping things together and looking uncomfortable.

Caption: First Kid.

Next scene: Same thing, but this time the woman has no blanket, the top of her shirt is down, her baby is hanging on the nipple clearly visible, and she isn't even giving it a second thought.

Caption: Second Kid.

Lol Neb. So you're saying with more than one kid women have other things to worry about then other people's discomfort?

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

COVER UP!

Why? Do you find breastfeeding to be a sexual or functional act?

it is a natural act that can cause many to stumble

why make it harder than it has to be for people not to see what tempts them?

if you love your brothers and their relationship with God, cover :)

My husband asked me to cover. Even though its natural, he still doesnt want other men to see my chest.

I breastfed my children.  I was always able to have privacy and planned my public outings around regular feedings.  In the odd instance that I needed to feed my baby outside my home, I always covered.  I think this very natural function, makes many people uncomfortable and while it does not make me uncomfortable - I think it's just as easy to cover and doesn't create an issue where there should not be one.   I'm far more annoyed by people who choose to draw attention to themselves by dressing or barely dressing than I am by a baby being breastfed.   

Perhaps this could be the case say 20, 30, 40 years ago. Perhaps though this isn't practical today in red?

As to this in purple I don't see anything wrong with a woman breastfeeding her child without a cover. What if the child doesn't make it condusive for his/her mother to breastfeed with a cover? Are the needs of a child more important than the comfort of friends, family, or complete strangers?

Yet what is the general intention of a nursing mother? I would say most mothers do not purposefully try to cause other people distress or discomfort. I would say a mother's heart/intention is to nurture and care for her baby. If a breast happens to come free of a nursing child it shouldn't be a big deal.

Consider too that many women don’t use covers or dislike using covers for practical reasons having to do with their children – the babies. Baby’s when using covers often get hot and squirmy. The baby often cannot see with a cover to latch on to begin the breastfeeding process. The baby also might want to see their mother or what is going on around them. Finally, breathing in tight spaces isn’t comfortable for anyone much less babies.

I do agree with the underlined drawing attention to one's self by dressing (or barely dressing) is significantly more disturbing than a mother nursing her child.

Yet I find there is certainly a double standard. People will emphasize modesty when speaking of breastfeeding but will often still support such celebrities such as Miley Cyrus, Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, etc. I don’t really get that.

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

I think whether it was 20 years ago or 10 months ago... usually, a mom can plan around outings or work... breast pumps, etc.  I am glad you are not offended by women breastfeeding babies.  I'm not offended either.  I try not to deliberately make other people feel uncomfortable and that said, I never had an issue going to a private area when necessary out in public or when out visiting to nurse the kids.  Sorry for any confusion or distress - I haven't been on the forum for a long, long time.  I forgot how controversial everything becomes here.  Have a blessed day.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

This week was breastfeeding week. Feel free to discuss one or more of these questions... :)

A. What do you think about breastfeeding? Cover or no cover?

B. What are the social norms in the culture/country you live in?

C. Do you know the laws in your country/state regarding breastfeeding?

A. What do you think about breastfeeding? Cover or no cover?  It does not bother me either way. I see nothing dirty or shameful about a women's breast.

B. What are the social norms in the culture/country you live in? I don't really know.

C. Do you know the laws in your country/state regarding breastfeeding? Do we really need laws for breastfeeding? I don't think so.

A. I agree it doesn't bother me either way. I view a nursing mother's breast when she's breastfeeding in a non-sexual manner. Nursing to me should be viewed as a functional and not a sensual act.

B. Do you live in the U.S.? If so please check out this link... http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/breastfeeding-state-laws.aspx

C. I believe there needs to be laws for breastfeeding because otherwise people are free to discriminate against women.

God bless,

GE

I'm all for not discriminating against women but, come on, a woman has to consider other people too.  Not everyone is comfortable with this and THEIR rights have to be respected as well.  IMO, if a mother refuses to cover in a crowd, she is trying to make a statement or she craves attention.  A little common sense goes a long way. 

If I had to nurse my child while away from home I always found a private place to do it. In some cases at night I would take him out to the car and do it there. No one would have known what was going on unless they peered directly in the window.

If at anytime I was at someone else's home I would go into another room and close the door. When my son was less than a month old, we had Thanksgiving at my parents-in-law's house. There were 3 babies there: mine, a 10 week old and a 5 month old. We moms borrowed a bedroom and nursed in that room. All 3 of us at the same time. Since it was just us we did not cover.

For public places I would take the kid into the public restroom, close a stall door, and nurse there.

While it doesn't bother me to see uncovered, my personal preference would be covered if there was no private place to nurse.

That's pretty cool that you had 3 babies and mommies all nursing at the same time. Children are a blessing from God. :thumbsup:

I think I understand what you're saying Kali in bold. However, as to this in bold did you ever think how dirty those places were?

God bless,

GE