IGNORED

How do you define the word faith/believe?

FreeinChrist

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

So I was reading some posts in Apologetics, and after reading a few I was wondering how people define the word faith and believe as used in the Bible?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  322
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  1

Scripture interprets scripture so we can use this principle to further define terms such as faith and believe.  Heb 5:9 states "and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him." Normally we equate having eternal salvation with belief but notice that Heb 5:9 does not say belief - it says obey. Obedience is equated with belief. Therefore our belief can be defined or evidenced by our obedience to God. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I don't have time to look up the resources for this - sorry. But if you were to look up the meaning of the word in Hebrew that we have translated as "faith", you will find that the Hebrew word means "strong trust."

Try inserting "strong trust" every time you read the word "faith" in Scripture and see what that does for your understanding.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Scripture interprets scripture so we can use this principle to further define terms such as faith and believe.  Heb 5:9 states "and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him." Normally we equate having eternal salvation with belief but notice that Heb 5:9 does not say belief - it says obey. Obedience is equated with belief. Therefore our belief can be defined or evidenced by our obedience to God. 

Thank you Elhanan, that is the definition of faith as I understand it also :t2:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

The greek word means to believe, to trust in, to rely upon. If you insert the words rely upon or trust where ever you see the word believe, it would mean much more because it is more than intellectual assent. Even the demons do this. They don't rely on Jesus' blood to ratify the new covenant and usher them into the covenant of grace. Perhaps the people who already are being called by God into that covenant are already living up to the light given them. God calls all but extends grace to those who do not resist Him. He grants these the gift of trusting faith. I don't believe we can earn a free gift.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  180
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I lived for years in fear & misery because I did not understand what "believe in Jesus" meant therefore I had no assurance of salvation. I wrote the following article about my experience which explains how God showed me the truth about "believing" and brought me out of the fear of doubting my salvation into the peace that only a true "believer" can understand.

Published on Rapture Forums website; can be accessed using the following link:

http://www.raptureforums.com/FeaturedCommentary/whatdoesitmeantobelieveinjesus.cfm

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,265
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

It is my understanding that the Greek word that translates to belief is carries with it a level of total trust..  to understand he is who he says he is with such an intensity that you put your total trust in him for your future.   Would be the same as him being your Lord

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

So I was reading some posts in Apologetics, and after reading a few I was wondering how people define the word faith and believe as used in the Bible?

Shalom and good evening, I define "faith" as "believing the promises of Yah", just as Abraham believed the promises of Yah and it was counted to him as righteousness.

Shalom,

David

Edited by David ben Ephraim

Shalom and good evening, I define "faith" as "believing the promises of Yah", just as Abraham believed the promises of Yah and it was counted to him as righteousness.

In The Promises Of Yashua

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

Guest AFlameOfFire

Heres obeying and believing used synonymously

Romans 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

By faith Abraham obeyed went out

Heb 11:8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

Heres those which believe being contrasted against those which be disobedient

1Peter 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,

Grace is given for the obedience to the faith

Romans 1:5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:

Good keywords to run would be faith, trust, belief, believe, believed, obey, obeyed, obedience, obedient, disobedience and disobedient (among more then a few) and read through those. They would probably help a lot too.

God bless you!