IGNORED

The deteriorating perception of nudity

In that passage John is describing something he's looking at. He actually sees the things he's writing about. Why wouldn't you take what he's saying as literal? Granted, I don't know anyone who has a double edged sword coming from their mouth, but John said this is what he saw. 

What is your interpretation of that passage? 

John was given a vision from God, he was not seeing actual things but God's representation to John of things to come.

This passage, and the entire book of Revelation is allegorical, God uses symbolism and metaphors to give us a look at the end times. 

To take any single verse or passage out of Revelation and try to use it in a literal sense is to miss the entire point that God was trying to make.

So what point was God trying to make with the passage in question?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

This thread started by discussing nudity in this world. Please get back on track. If there is a desire to discuss being dressed in heaven, let me know and i will split the thread.

Actually, it is related, because whether or not clothes are worn in heaven is being used as an argument for or against nudity in this world.

Yes, I realize it was hijacked awhile ago and the reason I suggested the split. I'd ask the OP, but he has not been back sine his first post.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

So what point was God trying to make with the passage in question?

I don't believe there is one, it is part of a larger narrative.  This is one of the downfalls of the modern verse and chapter system we have added to the bible.

Take away the verses and nobody would think to grab an odd passage here and there and try to assign a particular message to it.   

We never see this with any book but the bible.

I have never seen anyone say "what do you think this paragraph in the middle of this chapter in the Lord of The Rings means?"

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

This thread started by discussing nudity in this world. Please get back on track. If there is a desire to discuss being dressed in heaven, let me know and i will split the thread.

Actually, it is related, because whether or not clothes are worn in heaven is being used as an argument for or against nudity in this world.

nobody in this thread is arguing for nudity in this world.

That was not the impression I was given from what was posted by TR.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

nobody in this thread is arguing for nudity in this world.

That was not the impression I was given from what was posted by TR.

I like my clothes on.  I simply see no biblical basis for forcing my personal preferences and cultural norms onto others.  I also won't accept others forcing their personal preferences or cultural norms onto me.  I won't wrap up like a mummy and drape the wrappings in black robes just so nobody gets offended by my flesh.

Edited by OneLight

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,193
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

hummmm,  a level headed person

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Please respect this ministry as you use descriptive words, thank you.

Guest shiloh357

I am not the one that brought this point in to the discussion. I am just responding to what people post

You mean, you like to stir the pot and see where it goes? You had no point to make with regards to the subject?
So...you bring up a passage in Revalation, I comment in it and then reply to direct questions and that is stirring the pot.

How creative

Actually Jesus is wearing clothes, JD. "Clothed in Righteousness" is a metaphorical statement regarding Jesus as completely righteous. Righteousness is not a garment in the literal sense. Revelation 1 and 19 describe the clothes Jesus is wearing.

Do you believe there is a literal sword coming out of the mouth of Jesus as described in chapter 1?

No, but neither can we simply write everything off in Revelation as figurative whenever it is convenient to do so.  There is NOTHING about the description of Jesus in Rev. 1 that possesses any figurative imagery.  There are no figurative elements indicated anywhere in the text of that particular description.

It is convenient to simply brush it off as figurative, but it takes a competent exegete to demonstrate when a figurative device is being employed in the text.   So if you believe it is figurative, I assme that you have the hermeneutic skill necessary to demonstrate exegetically that this description is really a figurative or symbolic or whatever.  I await your exegesis of this passage.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Please respect this ministry as you use descriptive words, thank you.

I would if I had the dimmest foggiest idea what I said wrong.  In my ignorance, I've got no way to comply.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

No, but neither can we simply write everything off in Revelation as figurative whenever it is convenient to do so.  There is NOTHING about the description of Jesus in Rev. 1 that possesses any figurative imagery.  There are no figurative elements indicated anywhere in the text of that particular description.

It is convenient to simply brush it off as figurative, but it takes a competent exegete to demonstrate when a figurative device is being employed in the text.   So if you believe it is figurative, I assme that you have the hermeneutic skill necessary to demonstrate exegetically that this description is really a figurative or symbolic or whatever.  I await your exegesis of this passage.

So, the sword coming out of Jesus' mouth is not figurative imagery?  Really?  are you sure you want to stick with that story?

The first clue that it is figurative is that it was a vision, not a reality. 

Second, the entire description of Jesus is filled with symbolism and figurative speech.  His hair was not really wool and his eyes were not really on fire.  His feet were not really made of bronze. 

The stars and the lampstands are symbolism.