IGNORED

Is there significance in Joseph being sold to relatives?

Isaiah 6:8

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

I was reading the other day in Genesis and noticed that Joseph was sold to the Ishmaelites, and/or the Midianites and controversy aside of which of them it was, they both trace back to Abraham. Ishmael and the Midianites trace back to Abraham's son Midian, who was born to him to his wife Keturah after Sarah died.

Knowing there is little without meaning in the Bible, I was wondering what the significance to Joseph being sold to close family, if any...

Any thoughts?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I was reading the other day in Genesis and noticed that Joseph was sold to the Ishmaelites, and/or the Midianites and controversy aside of which of them it was, they both trace back to Abraham. Ishmael and the Midianites trace back to Abraham's son Midian, who was born to him to his wife Keturah after Sarah died.

Knowing there is little without meaning in the Bible, I was wondering what the significance to Joseph being sold to close family, if any...

Any thoughts?

I never really thought about it....

To add to the question, I wonder if there is anything about it that foreshadows something in the New Testament as most of the old testament does.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

To add to the question, I wonder if there is anything about it that foreshadows something in the New Testament as most of the old testament does.

Like maybe your brother will sell you out to the Antichrist????

could be... but its an interesting thing, I think I will delve into it further. 

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/05/1959

Everything in this story down to the finest detail speak to the scenario in the first garden, and the outcome as it applies to us and our perception of truth as concerning self, which is found in the pattern Moses saw in the mount.

You have to look at these things in the light of the whole of scripture to define what the particulars are speaking to, for instance, those the brothers sold them to were going down to Egypt carrying burial spices where in picture, Joseph becomes the seed that impregnates Egypt, which becomes the tabernacle (again in picture form) that is rejected, it being of bondage and sore labor. 

Many times multiple things are used to describe one truth as it applies to us, but all of it testifies to the truth (Jesus Christ) and the process of the revealing of this truth in us. 

Guest shiloh357

Any thoughts?

That is something I have not really thought about. I will look into it.  You bring up and interesting point.  I don't want to force meaning that isn't there, but it is interesting to  ponder. I don't know what to say off the top of my head, but I am leading a study on the life of Joseph at church and will look into this a bit more and see what I can find.

Thanks Shiloh, would love to hear what you find.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/05/1959

The question cannot be understood outside of how this scripture in picture relates to us concerning Christ in us, and the process of this truth.

Gen 21:10 Wherefore she said unto Abraham, Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.

Paul goes a little ways into this in his letter to the Galatians.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

The question cannot be understood outside of how this scripture in picture relates to us concerning Christ in us, and the process of this truth.

Gen 21:10 Wherefore she said unto Abraham, Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.

Paul goes a little ways into this in his letter to the Galatians.

ummm...I don't think so.

Brother will betray brother kind of rings a bell...I'm not saying I necessairly disagree with you, but I think there is often a practical understanding to the 'spiritual' truths...

we still flesh and blood after all

Interesting question BTW