IGNORED

Profanity

LookingForAnswers

Guest shiloh357

WOW, you guys(and gals if it fits) are quick. :laughing:

Would you agree that what fits those descriptions is dependent upon the culture?  What I am saying is that words we find profane were not once and there are many words that were once profane that are no longer seen that way.

Doesn't matter.  If I were in a different culture and a certain word we use in the US was a profane word in that culture, I would honor Christ by not using that word.   There are several words that are profane and profane for a reason.  Profanity is not an arbitrarily assigned value.   I would honor Christ by not using such words. 

I see what you are saying, would it not stand to reason that if different places have different profane words then profanity is an arbitrarily assigned value of the culture. 

No.  Because languages and cultures are different.   Let me give you an example of what I mean.  There are cultures where a benign gesture in the US is their equivalent to how some Americans give you the "middle finger."   The method of delivery is different, but the message conveyed is the same and that message is considered profane.

The "F" word is profane in the US, but the same value might be expressed in Spain or Beigeng or Tokyo differently.  The profane value is the same no matter how it is expressed. Thus profanity is not an arbitrarily assigned value.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Does profanity bring glory to Jesus?  Does it encourage people to seek God? and let's get real is it really necessary to use such words in everyday life?  I would say no to all of the above.  And especially for believers using it.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,265
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

who gets to decide what words are profane???

Guest shiloh357

I do.   Weren't you at the meeting? :P

Seriously though, the Bible says that we are to avoid profanity.

Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving. For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

Eph 5:4-5

I emphasised the word "filthiness" because the word in the Greek is aischrotes and it refers to both obscene conduct and obscene speech.  So even in Paul's day, obsene language was prohibited by Scripture.  What do we intuitively think of when we think of obscene or profane language?

I do.   Weren't you at the meeting? :P

LoL   I do understand.....      but after reading the OP it just struck me that when I was a little kid, it was common for people to say that someone didn't know "S" from shinola.....   which is a cheap shoe polish.   The "S" word didn't really seem to declared such a bad word back then as it is now.    It's actually an anagram shipping term for Cow Poop.

After WW2 there was a lot of natural fertilizer shipped on boats and if it was stored below the water line and the ship's holds got wet the cow poop would put off a lot of methane gas and it would start fires or in some cases blow up the ship.

So it was labeled Ship High In Transit.......    as that grew common it was anagram shortened to the "S" word.

I just find it interesting to see where a lot of these words came from and what forms of the same thing are acceptable.

Guest shiloh357

I think the problem with profanity is found in the usage of it, as well as in the meaning of the words.  Note that profane words refer to unwholesome things, like the "S" word being anagram for cow poop and the "F" word being used to refer to sex outside of marriage (also an anagram).   There is also the "H" word that means the opposite of heaven.  The "D" word is meant to be derogatory and means to bring a curse down upon someone.

The whole point behind profanity is tear down, never to build up.  They are meant to insult, calling a woman by the "C" word or the "B" word, or by profaning God's Name.   There is no positive or constructive use of those words. 

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2

I think the problem with profanity is found in the usage of it, as well as in the meaning of the words.  Note that profane words refer to unwholesome things, like the "S" word being anagram for cow poop and the "F" word being used to refer to sex outside of marriage (also an anagram).   There is also the "H" word that means the opposite of heaven.  The "D" word is meant to be derogatory and means to bring a curse down upon someone.

The whole point behind profanity is tear down, never to build up.  They are meant to insult, calling a woman by the "C" word or the "B" word, or by profaning God's Name.   There is no positive or constructive use of those words. 

Does this not highlight that the words we choose to call profane are arbitrary?  The "b" word is in the dictionary and has a non-profane meaning.  There was a time when it was not viewed as profane or obscene.  Same goes for another name for a donkey like pack animal.    If profanity is defined by the culture, which it seems we all agree is the case, then it is an ever moving target and I am not sure it is something that we should cast stones over.   Words we use today would have been profane 200 years ago.

Guest shiloh357
Does this not highlight that the words we choose to call profane are arbitrary? 

No, it does not.  Tell me...  do you refer to women using the "B" word?   Do you use profanity in your regular day-to-day conversation or when you are angry about something?

The "b" word is in the dictionary and has a non-profane meaning.  There was a time when it was not viewed as profane or obscene.  Same goes for another name for a donkey like pack animal.

Yes and when they are used according to their proper meaning, they are not profane.  But how often are they ever used that way???  

If profanity is defined by the culture, which it seems we all agree is the case, then it is an ever moving target and I am not sure it is something that we should cast stones over.

It that some people want to justify unwholesome behavior by muddying the water on the issue.  If you want to cuss and swear and use profanity and call people by those ugly words, that is up to you.  

The Bible says not to, but you seem to think its okay.  I am not going to help you justify your sin and tell you that words are just words and that profanity is in the eye of beholder.   Those words are not not words that should come out of the mouth of a committed follower of Jesus Christ. 

Jesus said  you will give an account before the Lord for every word that comes out of your mouth. and that by your words you will be justified and by your words you will be condemned.   If you feel that it is the worth the price to pay for a lack of self-control and you don't mind having to explain to the Lord why you didn't think obeying His commandments about controling your tongue was all that important, that will be between you and the Lord.   I will not be joining in you.

Does this not highlight that the words we choose to call profane are arbitrary?  The "b" word is in the dictionary and has a non-profane meaning.  There was a time when it was not viewed as profane or obscene.  Same goes for another name for a donkey like pack animal.    If profanity is defined by the culture, which it seems we all agree is the case, then it is an ever moving target and I am not sure it is something that we should cast stones over.   Words we use today would have been profane 200 years ago.

Well, the subject is fascinating to me, but in my house it didn't matter whether or not it was a sin, you still got your mouth washed out....   and if you back talked momma or grandma about it there was "H" to pay.