ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Im not talking about portions you struggle to understand. I am asking what part of the bible makes you think how could anyone do something like that.

For instance, I am just baffled that angels who saw and knew God could turn around and think I will follow that angel instead (the devil). Seriously, what were they thinking. Follow the Creator or follow His creation instead. Not really a choice in my mind, yet apparently a third of the angels decided following the devil was a good idea. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Im not talking about portions you struggle to understand. I am asking what part of the bible makes you think how could anyone do something like that.

For instance, I am just baffled that angels who saw and knew God could turn around and think I will follow that angel instead (the devil). Seriously, what were they thinking. Follow the Creator or follow His creation instead. Not really a choice in my mind, yet apparently a third of the angels decided following the devil was a good idea. 

You may want to consider whether or not the angels can see God.  If they can actually see God then why does it say that the devils 'believe' that there is one God and tremble?  But I can get with your general point sister as it is a good one.  How does a man like Ham watch/help his father build a boat, go through a worldwide flood that kills everyone but them due to their ungodliness only to go in unto his father and expose his nakedness?  Where is the fear of God?

Or Lots daughters who witnessed the destruction of Sodom, Gamorrah and their own mother for ungodly acts only to get dad drunk to have sex with him so they can have children.  Yeah, they were sure that there was no one left alive after Sodom but were wrong.

I suppose it all boils down to relying upon ones own understanding.  Those angels who fell thought they had it made due to their lack of knowledge along with Ham or Lots daughters.  God knows that I have ignorantly done similar things in my life!  There is a quote attributed to Herbert Spenser that I love:

“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation”

Boy have I done that once or twice  :whistling:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

The one I've thought about most recently is how the unsaved during the trib will cry out for rocks to fall on them and kill them......but they still refuse to repent.

:confused:

I read about the girl who was turned into a pillar of salt just for following a natural instinct of curiosity, turning around. Especially because I am sure there have been much worse things done in the bible without nearly as harsh a consequence. An how is it know she was turned into a pillar of salt? Did someone rifle through the dirt and eat it??

Guest shiloh357

I read about the girl who was turned into a pillar of salt just for following a natural instinct of curiosity, turning around. Especially because I am sure there have been much worse things done in the bible without nearly as harsh a consequence. An how is it know she was turned into a pillar of salt? Did someone rifle through the dirt and eat it??

she was disobedient because they were commanded not to look back.   Secondly, "looking back" indicates that she was attached emotionally to  sinful city of Sodom. It similar to how some Christians entertain thoughts of going back to the sin they used to live in.   She was remorseful because she prospered in Sodom.  She and her husband were rich and important in Sodom.   It was not the act of looking back as much as the motive for looking back that cost her, her life.

she was disobedient because they were commanded not to look back.   Secondly, "looking back" indicates that she was attached emotionally to  sinful city of Sodom. It similar to how some Christians entertain thoughts of going back to the sin they used to live in.   She was remorseful because she prospered in Sodom.  She and her husband were rich and important in Sodom.   It was not the act of looking back as much as the motive for looking back that cost her, her life.

Still harsh compared to other things people have done. And what an odd way to go, you are killed and turned into a seasoning.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

To answer the OP... I suppose it is no different than when we sin... sometimes willfully... it doesn't make sense and appears to be the plague of self... if one has a self, one is tempted to elevate one's self above God and / or his wishes and we sin regardless the consequences or we reason ourselves out of any severe consequences (elevating also our own judgment over God's).

Pretty stupid.

Yet we all do it.

Sometimes when God is trying to make a point (like when Moses was supposed to speak to the Rock for water but struck it the second time) consequences can be more than we even think possible at the time. Moses did not lead the children of Israel into the Promised land. This was prophetic in that the Law of Moses could not save. But the one following Moses (the Law of Moses) Joshua (another form of the name Jesus) did lead the people into the (ultimate)  promised land.

The entire nation of Israel was to God a kingdom of priests (Exodus 19:6) until Exodus 32. And the one tribe that came to Moses' aid was made the priestly tribe.

The Sanhedrin (Jewish leadership) was supposed to laud the Messiah. Rather they opposed him and tried to kill him and were his judges in their kangaroo court trial turning him over to the Gentiles to carry out their sentence. It would have been better that they had not been born.

Look at us, intimidated by the world, too scared to witness Christ to a lost and dying world... Ezekiel 33 and 34 are a scary read about such behavior.

And by the way, the angels believe because they have seen (spirit beings can see spirit beings as we read in the account of the Rich man and Lazarus Luke 16:19-31 after both die all in the passage are disembodied spirit beings).

Angels are also in their eternal state. Sin once in that state and there is no redemption from the soul that sins shall surely die.

We are hybrids (spirit and body with a buffer the soul). Because we can die in some way (our bodies) we can be redeemed, but only after the Creator himself became our kinsman and paid the sin price for all mankind.

Angels have no kinsman redeemer because they cannot be redeemed.

So as painful and ugly and final as death is, we benefit from it than we are able to die and the Law of God is unbroken.

1 John 1:5-10 (KJV)
5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

1 John 2:1-6 (KJV)
1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Guest ninhao

Still harsh compared to other things people have done. And what an odd way to go, you are killed and turned into a seasoning.

I must :D at this way with words well done !  

Shiloh is correct of course about why Lot's wife was killed but also remember the implications of why salt. In Midrash it is told that Adir ( Lot's wife ) sinned with salt in the exchange with the Angels and so was punished with salt for her sin. Lot's wife didn't have her heart in correct position.

I'm not certain Midrash is reliable but it is interesting.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2

Jesus spoke on a lot of things, yet the defining issue of our day, homosexuality, he was quiet on.  I do wonder why that was, God knew that this would be an issue in the future yet Jesus never even gave the topic a passing word.

Guest shiloh357

Jesus spoke on a lot of things, yet the defining issue of our day, homosexuality, he was quiet on.  I do wonder why that was, God knew that this would be an issue in the future yet Jesus never even gave the topic a passing word.

Jesus DID affirm traditional, biblical marriage in Matt. 19.   Jesus didn't specifically mention child molestation or spousal abuse either.   But so what?  The Bible doesn't list every single sin a person can commit, but it does give us enough light to judge the sinfulness of things not directly addressed in the text.  Homosexuality is a sin and an abomination and is condemned in both Old and New Testaments.