• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

I am seeing this theme reoccur in topics of late.  How should we deal hypocrisy, both within ourselves and when we see it in others?  How should we respond whilst maintaining our integrity?

Because of the "plank in the eye" passage, I tend to ignore it, or try to. 

When we point out hypocrisy, we're making a judgment of an individuals character. Passing judgment is a serious matter, because whenever we judge someone we are basically judging ourselves. The emotions and motives we use to make those judgments toward another individual are the same ones used in the judgment toward ourselves. Because we are either justified or condemned by our words, I try not to point out another individuals hypocrisy. God's keeping track. He doesn't need me down here pointing fingers.

What we say in these forums should not be taken lightly because there are spiritual consequences to our words and actions. When we react to what we see on a computer screen, it's the same as if we were interacting face to face in the real world. There are real people attached to these screen names and God knows who each and every one of them are. We may be able to hide from our neighbor but we can't hide from God. 

Our witness carries over from one thread to the next, from one forum to the other. We shouldn't say one thing in one forum and say the exact opposite in the next. Our behavior and attitude should be uniform regardless of our location within these forums.

Hypocrisy is a serious issue. It can destroy an individuals witness and be a stumbling block for others. 

So when we see 'un-witness-like'  behaviour, how does one point that out in truth in love?  Or should one  simply hit the report button?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  5

In my personal opinion Zion, (even thought the question wasn't addressed to me), if a particular person really get's to you, I'd send a PM to them "if" you feel like you can soften their hearts. Because anything of that nature addressed in public would only fuel the fire more. Although there is the report button as well, depending on the severity of the posts I guess...

So when we see 'un-witness-like'  behaviour, how does one point that out in truth in love?  Or should one  simply hit the report button?

As Hall said, it depends on the severity of the situation. If it's really bad, I'll hit the report button. Usually I just let it go. I don't feel that I'm close enough to anyone here to take them aside and say hey.....

Unless you're a child, people usually know when they've crossed that line. I see it here almost every day. I don't say anything because I'm guilty of crossing that line in my personal life. I have no business pointing out someone else's faults when my own eyes are full of splinters. I'm gonna have enough to answer for on the day I stand before my Maker, I don't need to add hypocrisy to the list. Although chances are it's already there.

If it was a close personal friend in the 3 dimensional world, I would probably point it out to them. It's easier and more comfortable approaching someone you know then it is a stranger. 

In my personal opinion Zion, (even thought the question wasn't addressed to me), if a particular person really get's to you, I'd send a PM to them "if" you feel like you can soften their hearts. Because anything of that nature addressed in public would only fuel the fire more. Although there is the report button as well, depending on the severity of the posts I guess...

As Hall said, it depends on the severity of the situation. If it's really bad, I'll hit the report button. Usually I just let it go. I don't feel that I'm close enough to anyone here to take them aside and say hey.....

Unless you're a child, people usually know when they've crossed that line. I see it here almost every day. I don't say anything because I'm guilty of crossing that line in my personal life. I have no business pointing out someone else's faults when my own eyes are full of splinters. I'm gonna have enough to answer for on the day I stand before my Maker, I don't need to add hypocrisy to the list. Although chances are it's already there.

If it was a close personal friend in the 3 dimensional world, I would probably point it out to them. It's easier and more comfortable approaching someone you know then it is a stranger. 

I see your points, but frankly, I just see people on here ignoring each other with that kind of thing because they simply don't have to respond to it and willfully choose not to address their own hurtful behaviour - very 'un-witness-like' behaviour(!)  Which I really don't like because it doesn't teach the love of God, which I am in earnest desire to learn to live in, and always seeking out examples within the Bible and within other's lives. 

We could just hit the report button, true...

This is my prayer:

Psalm 51:

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,

And renew a steadfast spirit within me.

11 Do not cast me away from Your presence,

And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  5

We aren't always strong in the spirit of God, we all have our days when we don't feel so forgiving or able to swallow things thrown at us. And in these times, I walk away and take a break from this place for a few days, because if I don't, the tension builds up and I begin to feel bitter and start posting things out of carnal thoughts instead of spiritual thoughts. Works for me anyways, we all have our ways to handle things differently I suppose.

You are very gracious.  Must be said.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Hypocrisy

HYPOC'RISYnoun [Latin hypocrisis; Gr. simulation; to feign; to separate, discern or judge.]

1. Simulation; a feigning to be what one is not; or dissimulation, a concealment of one's real character or motives. More generally, hypocrisy is simulation, or the assuming of a false appearance of virtue or religion; a deceitful show of a good character, in morals or religion; a counterfeiting of religion.

Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy Luke 12:1.

2. Simulation; deceitful appearance; false pretence.

Hypocrisy is the necessary burden of villainy.

The word comes directly from two Greek words meaning under judgment which coincides with what man was saying earlier about when judging another we place ourselves under judgment.

The most non-offensive way I have found to help someone who is doing something that will bring them harm such as being a hypocrite is to look back in my past and find a time where I did something similar and talk about myself allowing the other person to identify if they so choose.  

What it really comes down to for me is loving my neighbor as myself.  How would I want someone to approach me?  Would I want them to approach me at all?  Ecclesiastes tells us that there is a time to speak and a time to refrain from speaking.  The wisdom is know when to do which.

Peace unto all

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I am seeing this theme reoccur in topics of late.  How should we deal hypocrisy, both within ourselves and when we see it in others?  How should we respond whilst maintaining our integrity?

Because of the "plank in the eye" passage, I tend to ignore it, or try to. 

When we point out hypocrisy, we're making a judgment of an individuals character. Passing judgment is a serious matter, because whenever we judge someone we are basically judging ourselves. The emotions and motives we use to make those judgments toward another individual are the same ones used in the judgment toward ourselves. Because we are either justified or condemned by our words, I try not to point out another individuals hypocrisy. God's keeping track. He doesn't need me down here pointing fingers.

What we say in these forums should not be taken lightly because there are spiritual consequences to our words and actions. When we react to what we see on a computer screen, it's the same as if we were interacting face to face in the real world. There are real people attached to these screen names and God knows who each and every one of them are. We may be able to hide from our neighbor but we can't hide from God. 

Our witness carries over from one thread to the next, from one forum to the other. We shouldn't say one thing in one forum and say the exact opposite in the next. Our behavior and attitude should be uniform regardless of our location within these forums.

Hypocrisy is a serious issue. It can destroy an individuals witness and be a stumbling block for others. 

Absolutely, man.  God is watching our actions....and He is reading our posts as well.  :mgbowtie:

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1

Hypocrisy:

hy·poc·ri·sy [hi-pok-ruh-see]

noun, plural hy·poc·ri·sies.

a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.

a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

an act or instance of hypocrisy.

Opposite of integrity:

in·teg·ri·ty [in-teg-ri-tee] 

noun

adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.

the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished: to preserve the integrity of the empire.

a sound, unimpaired, or perfect condition: the integrity of a ship's hull.

To avoid repeating what others have said, I'll go a different route. From my experience, recognizing hypocrisy in ourselves is a starting point to empathizing with the hypocrisy of others instead of hypocritically becoming judgmental about it. But empathizing alone will only at best only prevent us from dealing with those who present hypocrisy harshly. This is fine and good, but settling for simply not dealing harshly with others when they sin is not the pinnacle of the holy life and appears selfish if one is capable of going beyond this. Actually assisting others in decreasing their sin and cultivating repentance and better actions is much more in line with the Christian life.

A quote that I am rather fond of from the the Talmud (can't remember exactly what it is commenting on) goes like this: "Whoever can prevent members of their household from committing a sin, but does not, is punished for the sins of their household. If they can prevent their fellow citizens from committing sins, but does not, they are punished for the sins of their fellow citizens. If you can prevent the whole world from committing a sin, but does not, they are punished for the sins of the whole world." Actually doing this, however, is easier said than done, and would seem to require understanding the origin of the hypocrisy, how to decrease it and replace it with a better behavior, and the specific actions one needs to do to bring this about.This would seem to require a lot of introspection and prayer to determine origin and treatment of hypocrisy in ourselves before we do so in others, hence the whole beam/speck thing Jesus talked about and others brought up earlier.