IGNORED

Does anyone like Star Trek?

DeaneRenata

Guest shiloh357

I am afraid I don't know the answer to your trivia question, but one interesting thing to note about "Star Trek" is the fact it wasn't that popular first run back in the 60s.  If I remember correctly, it never did better than 68th place in the weekly ratings, and only lasted 3 years.   None of the tv series did that well.  Many were in syndication, yet the films have been extremely popular. 

That is very true.

Actually, the actors were surprised that it eventually became so popular.    The original series only had something like 52 episodes.  it went for about 2 or three seasons.   Compare that to TNG that lasted for seven years.

I remember watching the episode of SNL that William Shatner hosted and he did a skit that angered a lot of Star Trek fans.  They were mocking the Star Trek conventions and in the skit he tells Trekkies to get a life and get out of their parent's basements and get a job.  He told them that they had taken a fun little lark from the 60s and had turned into a collossal waste of time.

He ended up eating a lot of crow because instead of it being seen as a skit by the Trekkies, they saw it as a backdoor insult and they made their outrage known.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

Answer to triva:    The starship USS Enterprise was originally slated to be called the USS Yorktown.

I'm glad they chose the name Enterprise.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,239
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Absolutely love it.  Remember the first episode debut in 1966.  Spock was my favorite.  I even joyed the fan club in 1966 and received autograph pictures of Kirk, Spock and Dr. McCoy.  Loved all the original movies that were even-numbered.  Did not like the odd-numbered movies.  Six in all.  Liked the orignal series, Next Generation and Voyager.  Did not like Deep Space Nine or Enterprise.  Love the Borg the most as an enemy.

Yes I do remember! First came batman Jan 1966 and I was devastated by the kablaam and kapow stuff;

how dare they bring comic book stuff to TV! Then came Star Trek Sept 1966 and my heart was healed :)

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,652
  • Content Per Day:  2.02

Yorktown answer to Shiloh's question (which they already answered.... lol...)

The NCC 1701 A (non canon trivia) was the refitted USS Yorktown interestingly, (which is how a refit Constitution class starship was ready so fast to replace the destroyed Enterprise at the end of Star Trek IV the Voyage Home. She was rechristened USS ENTERPRISE NCC 1701 A.

Rechristening used to be considered bad luck. Then again, so was having women aboard in ancient seagoing lore. 

I served aboard a US Navy ship that was rechristened USS Claude V. Ricketts (DDG-5) her original name was USS Biddle (DDG-5). So it is not an unheard of practice. Several of the reclassified light cruisers and large destroyers in the US Navy were rechristened (usually keeping the original name). Admiral Claude Vernon Ricketts was instrumental in the forming of the NATO fleet and the Biddle was the first American entry into that temporary / rotating fleet, so naturally they renamed her when he passed in the mid 1960's. Long since decommissioned and sold for scrap in 2003 I believe.

I think there is a fan film online that puts Enterprise crew on the Yorktown in an alternative timeline, if memory serves.

USS Yorktown CV 5 was sunk at the Battle of Midway...

g17061.jpg

Star Trek TOS had 72 episodes.

This was what made it so unusual that it went into syndication (reruns) where it gained 99.99% of its fan base because at the time 100 episodes was the bare minimum for syndication.

Interesting that "humanist of the year" Gene Roddenberry oversaw a Trek Episode (Bread and Circuses) that more than hinted at Jesus Christ. They mistook a planet's "archaic" worship of the sun when it was rather the Son of God and Nichelle Nichols (Lt Uhura) clarified this for the bridge crew. Youtube search "Son of God mention on Star Trek."

IMHO it is the reason Star Trek did and does so well.

Example...

In 1994 the year my beloved and I moved to San Diego, the Chargers (a third rate team but dearly loved by all in San Diego) was in a play off game late in the season. Special teams put most of the points up throughout the year, and the Chargers never should have made it as far as they did. In a game at Pittsburgh, the Steelers were behind by a couple of points. The Steelers were down to the wire and within scoring range when the commentator said (which the camera panned to the Chargers kneeling in prayer on the side lines) "It's the birthday today of the mother of the Steeler's quarterback... so this last play is between his mom's birthday and God..."

I kid you not.

That's what he said.

And even before last chance last play Pittsburgh had at winning I knew with a public set up like that, the Chargers were going to win!

I said to my wife before the ball was snapped... "Oh my gosh! We're going to the Superbowl!"

There is a copy of the plays online but it has a redubbed commentary (of course). I kept it on VHS for years but lost it or taped over it... {SIGH}

IMHO, if we who believe would simply trust in the name of the Lord and proclaim healing and restoration and whatever in the Lord's name publicly unashamedly unabashedly miracles would happen. But most are timid, scared, uncertain what they even believe to risk such a display.

Even the late Walter Martin said something about this once to a rabbi friend of his... he replied... "It's God's kingdom... he should worry." In other words, what are you afraid are you ashamed for God? If he doesn't honor his name in public that's his business not ours.

Good thought.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

Yorktown answer to Shiloh's question (which they already answered.... lol...)

The NCC 1701 A (non canon trivia) was the refitted USS Yorktown interestingly, (which is how a refit Constitution class starship was ready so fast to replace the destroyed Enterprise at the end of Star Trek IV the Voyage Home. She was rechristened USS ENTERPRISE NCC 1701 A ...

In the original series, the Enterprise was officially classified as a heavy cruiser, but in TNG, the classifications became less military; in fact, in one early TNG episode Picard expressed his disdain for today's Marine Class A uniform, referring to it as a "costume".

Ironically the officers dress uniform on TNG looked like a dress.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

In the original series, the Enterprise was officially classified as a heavy cruiser, but in TNG, the classifications became less military; in fact, in one early TNG episode Picard expressed his disdain for today's Marine Class A uniform, referring to it as a "costume".

Ironically the officers dress uniform on TNG looked like a dress.

Sadly, TNG, DS9 and Voyager were filled with New Age, Liberalism, Feminism, and other such nuances. I hated that the most about them. (And this is why TNG had so very little action.)

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Absolutely love it.  Remember the first episode debut in 1966.  Spock was my favorite.  I even joyed the fan club in 1966 and received autograph pictures of Kirk, Spock and Dr. McCoy.  Loved all the original movies that were even-numbered.  Did not like the odd-numbered movies.  Six in all.  Liked the orignal series, Next Generation and Voyager.  Did not like Deep Space Nine or Enterprise.  Love the Borg the most as an enemy.

Yes I do remember! First came batman Jan 1966 and I was devastated by the kablaam and kapow stuff;

how dare they bring comic book stuff to TV! Then came Star Trek Sept 1966 and my heart was healed :)

You are soooo old. 

I remember when it came out too.