DeaneRenata

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

I kept wishing someone would come up with a Kirk vs. Q episode.

(Perhaps we could call it "The Battle of the Egos".)

Does Q still have superpowers? because, I don't see how Kirk could defeat him in that scenario.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Does Q still have superpowers? because, I don't see how Kirk could defeat him in that scenario.

Q is about playing a battle of wits, using his powers to outmaneuver and outwit his opponent, but not to destroy or immobilize them.  That is, Q creates the challenge, and his opponent wins by overcoming the challenge. Thus Q as a being was never defeated in these encounters, only his challenge was defeated.

Picard overcame the challenges Q put him through. But for some reason Q's pleasure was in how he was able to get under Picard's skin more than in not being defeated. If you saw the episode where Q was on DS9, there was a scene where Sisco hit Q. Q was shocked because, "Picard never hit me!" Sisco responded, "I'm not Picard." Then Q smiled at the realization that Sisco is more easily angered, and contemplated how much fun he would have with that.

Knowing the way Kirk deals with challenges, I can imagine Kirk giving Q a run for his money he had not encountered before (Kirk excels in the battle of wits).

So, that's how Kirk would "defeat" him.

As for powers, yes Q still has them. However, the writers softened Q, first when the other Q decided to punish Q by stripping his powers and the Enterprise crew saved his life (Q's powers were restored by the end of the episode) and further from his encounters with Voyager. But since Kirk's time was before then, he'd be tackling the Q as we first knew him.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/25/1968

I would like to see Q versus the beings in the Wormhole outside DS9...

The Dominion?

Yeah, that would be one time I'd want to see the arrogant Q get the better of the arrogant victims of his games.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

The Dominion?

Yeah, that would be one time I'd want to see the arrogant Q get the better of the arrogant victims of his games.

Let's write to the writers - I wanna see that!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

Q is about playing a battle of wits, using his powers to outmaneuver and outwit his opponent, but not to destroy or immobilize them.  That is, Q creates the challenge, and his opponent wins by overcoming the challenge. Thus Q as a being was never defeated in these encounters, only his challenge was defeated.

Picard overcame the challenges Q put him through. But for some reason Q's pleasure was in how he was able to get under Picard's skin more than in not being defeated. If you saw the episode where Q was on DS9, there was a scene where Sisco hit Q. Q was shocked because, "Picard never hit me!" Sisco responded, "I'm not Picard." Then Q smiled at the realization that Sisco is more easily angered, and contemplated how much fun he would have with that.

Knowing the way Kirk deals with challenges, I can imagine Kirk giving Q a run for his money he had not encountered before (Kirk excels in the battle of wits).

So, that's how Kirk would "defeat" him.

As for powers, yes Q still has them. However, the writers softened Q, first when the other Q decided to punish Q by stripping his powers and the Enterprise crew saved his life (Q's powers were restored by the end of the episode) and further from his encounters with Voyager. But since Kirk's time was before then, he'd be tackling the Q as we first knew him.

Alright, but I have to admit, I never thought Kirk was a particularly wily captain. He always seemed to get carried away by some passion and end up in a fist fight. Defeat of Qs games seems to hinge on rationality ruling.

Alright, but I have to admit, I never thought Kirk was a particularly wily captain. He always seemed to get carried away by some passion and end up in a fist fight. Defeat of Qs games seems to hinge on rationality ruling.

Well, are you familiar with the "Corbomite Maneuver"?

Yes, the scripts were set up such that Kirk tended to end in a fist fight (ala Old Westerns), but once in a while the emphasize Kirk's ability to strategize.  That's the only way he was able to defeat Khan (in "The Wrath of Khan" movie).

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

I don't know, I think out of all the characters in all the Star Trek universe, if anyone could outwit Q and really get underneath his skin, it would be Spock.  That's another episode.  We should all just pitch this Q series to Paramount.  I'm up for writing the scripts.  Such a cool idea!  If only...

Ha-ha! I can just imagine the episode being centered, or at least have a running them of, Q trying to get some emotional expression out of Spock (the original Spock, not the rebooted one).

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

The Next Generation was the best series.