nebula

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Too many folks are not discerning and take all signs and wonders at face value. There are fakes out there.

Yes,you have to have discernment.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Scripture. Nothing will contradict the bible. The Holy Spirit will guide us if we are listening. 

OK, but people use Scripture to argue opposing sides all the time. So, what does it mean to use Scripture?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,098
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Too many folks are not discerning and take all signs and wonders at face value. There are fakes out there.

Yes,you have to have discernment.

Keep in mind that in Matthew and Mark when Jesus himself spake of this he did not use the term false wonders...

i'm not sure if it is wise to trying figure out if a wonder is real or fake.....   but where it comes from and who is doing it and why.

The Holy Spirit should not let us be deceived if we are paying attention to him..

Is the person pointing to God or himself...   that might be our first question.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Scripture. Nothing will contradict the bible. The Holy Spirit will guide us if we are listening. 

OK, but people use Scripture to argue opposing sides all the time. So, what does it mean to use Scripture?

Notice the other part, the Holy Spirit will guide us if we are listening. Now I know folks can claim they are listening to Him when they are not. Folks sometimes believe what they want to. Or even listen to lying spirits at times. 

.....   but where it comes from and who is doing it and why.

Great point. Personally, I think this is a key element in the whole issue.

Some people discount prophets, signs and wonders right away, mainly those who believe such things have ceased. On the other extreme are those who flock to anyone who prophecies or performs signs and wonders because they believe only God's anointed would be/do such things.

The above quote, I think, was directed at the first group. To the second group, I would point out that Sampson should be good evidence that someone could have God's anointing to do wondrous things, but yet not being very in-tune with God.

So in the end, one shouldn't discount someone who prophecies or someone performing signs and wonders because we don't believe in them - inspect the fruit of the person. Likewise, don't flock after such without question - inspect the fruit of the person.

By their fruit you will know them

:)

Sure, but by what standard does one discern the true from the false?

Scripture, like Jade said. But there is something else also: Who gets the glory? The Great Physician, or the preacher?

In the NT believers immediately gave credit for miracles to God, not themselves. (The healing of the man at the Beautiful Gate comes to mind.) Anyone performing real miracles today should act in a similar manner.

OK, I'm going to shake things up a bit and post the entire quote (notice the ". . ." at the end?).

Jesus didn't warn us of prophets. He warned of false prophets. He didn't warn of signs and wonders. He warned of false signs and wonders. Knowing the real helps us to recognize the false. For this reason those with little to no fire think all fire is strange fire.

What do you think of this?

I've been accused of this over the years because I didn't immediately accept something that happened until I had a chance to compare it with Scripture. Most times those making the accusation were looking at things from a "I'm better than you" sort of attitude, but that's just my experience. Others said it in an attempt to shut down discussion, argument, or even asking legitimate questions. That sort of thing doesn't bother me, because if I can't match it with the Bible, then it either gets tossed -- or put on the shelf until later, depending on how the Lord leads. Sometimes the light of understanding can take awhile, and I try to avoid throwing out the baby with the bath water . . . :whistling:

Simple fact is there are false teachers and false prophets out there and it pays to be cautious.

Guest shiloh357

Our modern prophets do not typically resemble the prophets that God sent in Scripture.  Being a prophet was not an attractive vocation because most of the time, with the exception of John the Baptist, prophets were sent by God when something was wrong, judgment was about to fall and they had bad news. That's one reason they were murdered.  Today,'s prophets are rather vague in their "prophecies" where God's prophets were far more specific and at times, their propheces were accompanied with signs and wonders, but only to prove that they were indeed God's mouth piece, not to dazzle the crowd.

One needs to be very, very, very, very careful when presenting himself as a prophet of God. Standing in the office of a prophet means that if one thing you say didn't come from God, you will stand to account for it.   You better double check and check again and pray the whole way through before speaking anything as a "word from the Lord."

Leonard Ravenhill provides a good profile of a prophet   http://www.ravenhill.org/prophet.htm

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

My 2 cents....

In my view, signs and wonders are usually for the benefit of the unsaved.  

Prophesy, which I do not view as the same thing as a sign and wonder, has changed from the OT to the NT. In the OT, the common everyday person did not have the indwelling Holy Spirit, or Holy Spirit revelation. God communicated thru His prophets to the common person. How was a common person to decide if a prophet was a prophet of God? There was usually a short term prophesy and a long term prophesy. If the short term prophesy was observed to be true (came about), that was part of the validation. Also, if the prophet pointed to the One True God, they were considered a prophet of God, and if they did not point to the One True God, then they were not a prophet of God, but a false prophet.

In the NT, saints have the Holy Spirit and can hear from God, so do not need a prophet to instruct them in the same way as the OT. If the prophesy is personal, the Holy Spirit will have revealed to the person directly, and the prophesy will be a conformation, and of course would not go against scripture.  If the prophesy is to the unsaved, there should be a near term prophesy which is a validation of the long term prophesy, and of course, both should point to the One True God and not contradict scripture.