IGNORED

To cover or not to cover ?

Izzel

Head covering   

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should Christian women cover their heads ?

• YES
    • NO
    • OTHER

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

What Jesus says does not change and is for all time.

What Paul says is advice based on the customs of the time. The essence of what Paul says may not change but the details do.

Just my opinion.

Guest Butero

You are bound to pop your top button by your tone - wow.

if you missed it - my question was what was the direction in the case of women with short frizzy hair.

I'll give you a heads up - generally short frizzy hair doesn't grow in length where it hangs like straight hair but is more volumous, so instead of growing down, it generally grows out ( think Afro) - of course there may be exceptions to the rule but that's the general direction of hair growth with frizzy hair.

I know I answered you more than once.  I would recommend a wig or veil, or not cutting it.  I know it won't hang down straight, but here is something I have noticed.  Black women used to all have hair like you describe, but now you see many with long straight hair.  How did they get it to grow that way?  I am no expert on how hair grows.  All I can tell you is what the Bible says, and I would never say something taught in the New Testament is not relevant because there are some people that seemingly cannot do it.  I would say that those who can follow it should follow it. 

Butero, the genetics did not change but the influence of the society they live in has.

It's called Western hair products and hair weaves , straighteners - real human hair extensions.

Mystery solved.

Guest Butero

What Paul says is advice based on the customs of the time. The essence of what Paul says may not change but the details do.

Just my opinion.

I believe that what Paul taught is just as much Holy scripture as the teachings of Jesus.  As a matter of fact, Jesus didn't directly pen any of the Bible.  The scriptures that tell us what Jesus taught were written by his disciples.  At the same time, God inspired the entire Bible.  I have never bought into the notion that this teaching was simply a custom of the time, but you are entitled to your opinion.  The bottom line is that we all agree this is not a salvation issue, so unlike some areas, if you want to be contentious about following it, you were told you can ignore it.  By all means, do so.  I really don't have much else to add.  I try to keep it, and I feel convicted when I pray with my head covered, so I keep my hair very short.  I will continue to do so, even if others say it is not relevant. 

Guest Butero

Butero, the genetics did not change but the influence of the society they live in has.

It's called Western hair products and hair weaves , straighteners - real human hair extensions.

Mystery solved.

Thanks.  You taught me something.  I am glad I was able to get something from this thread. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Just my opinion.

I believe that what Paul taught is just as much Holy scripture as the teachings of Jesus.  As a matter of fact, Jesus didn't directly pen any of the Bible.  The scriptures that tell us what Jesus taught were written by his disciples.  At the same time, God inspired the entire Bible.  I have never bought into the notion that this teaching was simply a custom of the time, but you are entitled to your opinion.  The bottom line is that we all agree this is not a salvation issue, so unlike some areas, if you want to be contentious about following it, you were told you can ignore it.  By all means, do so.  I really don't have much else to add.  I try to keep it, and I feel convicted when I pray with my head covered, so I keep my hair very short.  I will continue to do so, even if others say it is not relevant. 

I'm not saying that what Paul taught is not holy scripture, I am claiming that the examples he uses are not necessarily relevant today. He is telling people to dress respectfully in church (which is still relevant today) but the examples he uses are relevant to a particular custom.

Guest Butero

I didn't say coverings were irrelevant.

I said womens hair length.

The long hair is given as a covering.  That is what it says. 

Guest Butero

Just my opinion.

I'm not saying that what Paul taught is not holy scripture, I am claiming that the examples he uses are not necessarily relevant today. He is telling people to dress respectfully in church (which is still relevant today) but the examples he uses are relevant to a particular custom.

Can you give me an example of clothing items Paul mentions in the epistles that is not relevant to today's culture?