IGNORED

Spiral Galaxies: (A Challenge to the Paradigm?)

Enoch2021

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2

:mgcop:

Edited by LookingForAnswers

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.90
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  12/26/1963

theories on BX442

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/grand-design-spiral-bx442/

Primordial Pinwheel: Astronomers Spot Oldest Prominent Spiral Galaxy Yet
Three billion years after the big bang most galaxies were clumpy and odd-shaped, but at least one had already assumed a familiar form, and may elucidate how modern galaxies got their shapes
Jul 19, 2012 |By John Matson

941787CB-5C37-4F5F-BD31B95059C86CA9_arti

David Law; Dunlap Insitute for Astronomy & Astrophysics

The early universe was a rough-and-tumble place. Galaxies smashed together with much more regularity than they do today, and the insides of galaxies were chaotic, clumpy pods of stars. It was no place for an orderly, delicate swirl of a galaxy like the Milky Way or Andromeda.

But by scanning hundreds of galaxies that existed just a few billion years after the big bang, a group of astronomers has turned up a diamond in the cosmic rough. The researchers found a rare early galaxy with pronounced spiral arms, they reported in the July 19 issue of Nature. And that galaxy's unique circumstances may help explain why spirals are so rare at that epoch. (Scientific American is part of Nature Publishing Group.)

The newfound galaxy, known as BX 442, was identified as a spiral in Hubble images targeting 306 galaxies at redshifts of 1.5 to 3.6, corresponding to times roughly 9.3 billion to 11.9 billion years ago. (Redshift is a measure of cosmological distance that indicates how much an object's light has been stretched toward longer wavelengths as it traverses an expanding universe.) BX 442, the only identifiable spiral of the bunch, resides at redshift 2.18, some 10.7 billion years ago, or just three billion years after the big bang. It appears to fit the bill for a variety called a grand-design spiral, in which pronounced spiral arms lend a well-defined shape to the galaxy's disk of stars.

"We see the grand-design spiral pattern in this galaxy, and it's kind of astounding. We hadn't expected to find that," says lead study author David Law, an astrophysicist at the University of Toronto. "The 300-odd other galaxies in our own survey, and many others in different surveys, don't show this pattern."

Spirals are common in the modern universe, but as astronomers gaze across the cosmos at objects farther and farther away—and hence further and further back in time—spiral structure starts to peter out, which is why BX 442 makes for such an interesting case study.

"It is unique, they're right about that," says astronomer Bruce Elmegreen of IBM's T. J. Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights, N.Y. "It's been known for awhile that there are disks at these redshifts. Disks are not surprising, and usually when there are disks locally there are spirals in the disks," he adds. "But at these redshifts spirals have not been seen, and that had been a puzzle."

Instead of orderly swirls, astronomers see lumpy, blobby galaxies going through the cosmic equivalent of an awkward phase. "At these redshifts, the galaxy population if you look with Hubble mostly looks irregular and peculiar," says astrophysicist Christopher Conselice of the University of Nottingham. "Most of those galaxies are probably undergoing mergers, smashing together." And their stars are not usually confined to a flat, thin, evenly rotating disk.

BX 442, too, appears to have a somewhat chaotic stellar population, as if it its contents have been churned up. But somehow a regular spiral structure was imprinted on the galaxy's stars, perhaps by a recent grazing encounter with a much smaller galaxy. "What seems to set it apart as best as we can tell is it has this little companion galaxy off to the side," Law says of the rare spiral.

A study last year showed that the Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy, a satellite of the Milky Way, could be responsible for some of the spiral structure of our own galaxy. As Sagittarius fell inward and passed through the plane of the larger galaxy, its impact would have been strong enough to disrupt a uniform disk of stars and morph it into a familiar spiral. A similar process could explain the atypical spiral nature of BX 442. Using a computer simulation, the researchers found that an interaction could indeed stir up spiral structure in the distant galaxy. But that transformation would not be permanent if indeed the companion galaxy were the trigger. "If that's the case, then what we're seeing now will probably fade away within about 100 million years or so," Law says.

The transitory nature of a spiral structure at that epoch could explain why Law and his colleagues found just one spiral in their galactic survey. In fact, BX 442 may have evolved into a different shape in the billions of years since it emitted the light now reaching Earth. "It's impossible to say what happened to that spiral galaxy," Conselice says. "It's not like the galaxy types are set in stone."

BX 442 could also have generated its own spiral structure without a nudge from its neighbor, Elmegreen notes. Clumps of stars and gas within a galaxy can cause spirals to form, and BX 442 appears to contain at least one large clump along one of its spiral arms. "They perturb everything around them, and each clump sort of makes its own tidal tail," Elmegreen says. "That's a rather easy way to get three spiral arms, and this galaxy has three arms."

It may be that numerous different mechanisms can shape a spiral galaxy. Many more examples should be accessible for study once next-generation observatories, such as NASA's James Webb Space Telescope, come online. Until then, astronomers will have to rely on unique specimens such as BX 442 to help clear up which are the dominant forces creating spiral structure at different times in the universe's history. "We don't really have a good explanation for how the spiral arms exist," Conselice says. "There's a lot of questions that we just haven't answered

===========================================================================================

AND......do you have some kind of a point????   Do you think that there might be other Photos of BX442 ??, LOL

This was also in the reference (I Provided) In the OP......:  http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2013/04/the-first-spiral-galaxy-in-the-universe.html

Any other "conjured" Baseless Accusations??

======================================================

Very simple, neither of us are scientist nor have anything more than a cursory knowledge of these topics so we turn to others for our information. 

How in the World do you know that....Special Quibbling Mind Powers?  You're speculating off a Baseless Assumption.

I support my information from experts in every field I comment on....it's called Citing References in Support.  All Scientists and "science" associated endeavors do this.  So What?

Your time in the Army did no more to give you knowledge of these topics than did my MBA, thus we both rely on others.

Please don't comment on my Military Career.... You haven't ONE CLUE!!!

Just to even consider making comments such as this SPEAKS Volumes!  Let's test your Baseless Assumption (Guesses) Acumen:  What's my Favorite Color?

Do you have a link that shows this...

According to Current Stellar "evolution" Theory:  Spiral Galaxies take only 2 to 3 turns before beginning to dissipate and lose their definition; therefore, any Galaxies beyond 10 to 20 Million "Light Years" should not reveal Spirals.

Is actually the current theory on Spiral Galaxies

And if it happens to be, then the theory on Spiral Galaxies is faulty, does nothing to the age of the universe at all. 

:thumbsup:

Timing

Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.

By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.

Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done. Genesis 2:1-3 (NIV)

Is Everything

The one sitting on the throne said, "I am making everything new."

He said, "Write this: 'These words are faithful and true.'"

He said to me, "It has happened! I am the A and the Z, the beginning and the end.

I will give a drink from the fountain filled with the water of life to anyone who is thirsty.

It won't cost anything.

Everyone who wins the victory will inherit these things.

I will be their God, and they will be my children.

But cowardly, unfaithful, and detestable people, murderers, sexual sinners, sorcerers, idolaters,

and all liars will find themselves in the fiery lake of burning sulfur.

This is the second death." Revelation 21:5-8 (GWT)

I know you were not studying spiral galaxies or any of the other things you like to post about during your duties in the Army.  

This is not a baseless assumption this is based off of the knowledge of what the Army has to offer as far as job specialties. 

This is public knowledge available to anyone, more so anyone who has gone through the process to join.

~

Knowledge

He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the LORD's, and he hath set the world upon them. 1 Samuel 2:8

As a top online university, AMU provides quality and affordable online education to U.S. Armed Forces, members of the public safety, service and national security communities, and working adults in a wide range of fields. At AMU, we have earned our reputation as a leader in online higher education by always focusing on you: the student. We were nationally recognized by the prestigious Sloan Consortium for quality online education in 2009; and in 2009 and 2010 received their effective practices award.

AMU accepts students in the USA and around the world; and you need not be in the military.

American Military University (AMU) is the #1 provider of higher education to the U.S. military.*** http://www.amu.apus.edu/lp2/degrees

It's Such A Fickle Minded

He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end. Ecclesiastes 3:11

The School of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math offers advanced course content taught by experienced faculty, many who are leaders in their fields. Whether seeking a certificate, or an associate, bachelor’s, or master’s degree online, our curriculum is designed to provide students and professionals with relevant instruction in a knowledge-based economy. Many students become actively involved outside the classroom through affiliated organizations such as the Golden Key Honor Society, the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), and the Student Veterans of America to name a few. http://www.amu.apus.edu/lp2/school/science-and-technology/index.htm

Mistress

Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen. 1 John 5:21

The MIT Department of Physics has been a national resource since the turn of the 20th century.

Our Department has been at the center of the revolution in understanding the nature of matter and energy and the dynamics of the cosmos. Our faculty - three of whom hold Nobel Prizes and 21 of whom are members of the National Academy of Sciences - include leaders in nearly every major area of physics. World leaders in science and engineering, including 10 Nobel Prize recipients, have been educated in the physics classrooms and laboratories at MIT. Alumni of the MIT Department of Physics are to be found on the faculties of the world's major universities and colleges, as well as federal research laboratories and every variety of industrial laboratories.

Our undergraduates are sought both by industry and the nation's most competitive graduate schools. Our doctoral graduates are eagerly sought for postdoctoral and faculty positions, as well as by industry.

The MIT Physics Department is one of the largest in the nation, in part because it includes astronomy and astrophysics. Our research programs include theoretical and experimental particle and nuclear physics, cosmology and astrophysics, plasma physics, theoretical and experimental condensed-matter physics, atomic physics, and biophysics. Our students - both undergraduate and graduate - have opportunities to pursue forefront research in almost any area.

All undergraduate students at MIT study mechanics, electricity and magnetism. Beyond that, our physics majors pursue a program that provides outstanding preparation for advanced education in physics and other careers. Our undergraduates have unusual opportunities for becoming involved in research, sometimes working with two different groups during their four years at MIT.

In addition to courses, supplementary physics resources are also available. Various MIT faculty are openly sharing these resources as a service to OCW users. http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/

====================================================================

You are treading a fine line here sir...it surely is in the neighborhood of a Blatant Ad Hominem:

Ad Hominem- An attack upon an opponent in order to discredit their argument or opinion. Ad hominems are used by immature and/or unintelligent people because they are unable to counter their opponent using logic and intelligence.

I am going by your own words.  A while back you admitted to having limited knowledge in the areas of both science and the Bible.  I have no reason to assume you were lying when you made that comment.

You're mistaken...I said I was a Baby Christian and comparing myself to someone like Shiloh my knowledge of Scripture was somewhat pedestrian.

I would never have said anything even remotely close to that regarding Science LOL.

I know you were not studying spiral galaxies

Nothing like being able to conjure things and make stipulations behind a Keyboard.....you gotta Love It.

Am I or was I an Astrophysicist?  No LOL.  And I never claimed that I was.

"or any of the other things you like to post about during your duties in the Army."

WRONG as usual

This is not a baseless assumption this is based off of the knowledge of what the Army has to offer as far as job specialties.

Really?  Are you an expert in Army Skill Qualifiers?

Could you go ahead and list all the Specialties (MOS's) to Support this Generalized Conjecture?

=====================================================================================

Absolutely Unbelievable.  The Real Question is your Reading Comprehension Level?

Then you ask...Why do people do this to THEMSELVES (Cherry On Top)??    Absolutely Classic  :24: :24: :24:

It should be noted that I was Looking @ the Debate from the standpoint of somebody that was "on the fence" with little to no science or Scriptural background.

I was explaining to the Addressee that my Opinion and Points expressed, in the Previous Post, were based on that viewpoint... and that Ken Ham FAILED in my Eyes.

"SOMEBODY" like the people viewing it....NOT ME!!  If you look @ the next post, Neb agreed and she was evaluating the same way

What, do you think it is secret information or something? It is public record.

No I never said or implied it was, Strawman.

And when you are being recruited to become an Officer they go to great lengths to explain each and every possibility.

Too Bad you posted a Link to Enlisted MOS's then, eh?  :24:    And then you go into your "Officer" spiel gunz-a-blazin  :huh:

And I already said I wasn't an Astrophysicist.  LOL

But please point out to us the field you were in

Have you ever heard......"Take a Flyin Leap"?

It's none of your Business.  Are You Tracking?