IGNORED

How does God want us to handle gluttony?

Guest DRS81

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I really do wonder about this as the bible has lots of condemnation of excess and gluttony. I think there is one verse that  mentions it  it together with sex sins etc.  1 Cor 6 vs 9-10.   I got up today thinking as a christian i would avoid doing things condemned in the bible and i cant see why gluttony isnt as avoidable as any of them.  Arent we as believers meant to strive to not do things condemned in the bible?  It seems like it is one of the most overlooked and tolerated sin in our society. Also one of the reasons God destroyed Sodom was because of overeating  and (inhospitality to needy people which relates to being greedy).

In saying that.  its about eating what you need to survive i guess.  If your really skinny and you need to eat heaps to maintain your weight then no problem at all. My metabolism  is one that sees me trying to not eat as much as I can  because everything I eat my body doesn't need  will turn to fat and I havea few meals in reserve i need to get rid of for sure.

Edited by Chris.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

I never really considered this question.  I'm one of those who is always hungry (really, literally always hungry) and I eat a lot.  I just seem to need more food than the average woman.  I am not overweight.  Am I guilty of gluttony if I really want and need the food? 

I am also thin and have a ridiculous metabolism. However, I think that the Holy Spirit, not some rule of law, speaks to us (even the skinny ones!) about when enough is enough and we are being overly indulgent and strengthening our fleshly nature instead of keeping it in subjection as Paul instructed. When I fast, I don't do it to lose weight (in fact I am more concerned that I WILL lose weight!) but simply to draw near to to the Lord and discipline the fleshly longings. 

BTW MorningGlory, you are probably tempting some people to jealousy with your metabolism LOL!

Why would anyone be jealous?  I would like to be able to go all day without eating like some I work with but I just can't.  I stop when I'm full and I try to eat healthy food (try, don't always succeed).  I wonder if it's gluttony if you need to eat more often or in larger quantities than other people?

I think it just has to do with your metabolism.I am not jealous MG.To each their own.All of our bodies have different needs.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

I never really considered this question.  I'm one of those who is always hungry (really, literally always hungry) and I eat a lot.  I just seem to need more food than the average woman.  I am not overweight.  Am I guilty of gluttony if I really want and need the food? 

I am also thin and have a ridiculous metabolism. However, I think that the Holy Spirit, not some rule of law, speaks to us (even the skinny ones!) about when enough is enough and we are being overly indulgent and strengthening our fleshly nature instead of keeping it in subjection as Paul instructed. When I fast, I don't do it to lose weight (in fact I am more concerned that I WILL lose weight!) but simply to draw near to to the Lord and discipline the fleshly longings. 

BTW MorningGlory, you are probably tempting some people to jealousy with your metabolism LOL!

Why would anyone be jealous?  I would like to be able to go all day without eating like some I work with but I just can't.  I stop when I'm full and I try to eat healthy food (try, don't always succeed).  I wonder if it's gluttony if you need to eat more often or in larger quantities than other people?

I think it just has to do with your metabolism.I am not jealous MG.To each their own.All of our bodies have different needs.

That makes me feel better about the whole thing, Bopeep, thanks for the reminder.  It's not fun to be hungry all the time nor is it convenient to need to eat every few hours.  Then there is the one woman who told me I looked sickly a while back.  I shrugged that off but I really HAD gotten too thin.  Normal size people look better to me than the ultrathin. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

That makes me feel better about the whole thing, Bopeep, thanks for the reminder.  It's not fun to be hungry all the time nor is it convenient to need to eat every few hours.  Then there is the one woman who told me I looked sickly a while back.  I shrugged that off but I really HAD gotten too thin.  Normal size people look better to me than the ultrathin. 

I have talked to women like you MG.They said to them having to drink a couple of milk shakes a day was not fun.And that they would like to have a few pounds on them.Where you have someone who is very heavy and can't take a pound off is struggling with the opposite.

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

I am also one with a super-human metabolism.  I start eating when I get up and stop when I go to bed.   Graze all day and I have yet to break 110.

Gluttony isn't how much you eat; it's why you eat. 

I am also one with a super-human metabolism.  I start eating when I get up and stop when I go to bed.   Graze all day and I have yet to break 110.

Gluttony isn't how much you eat; it's why you eat. 

Wow!  You sound just like me (although, at my height, 110 would make me see-through!).  It's true, I guess; if you eat because you're hungry and need energy it's different than just eating to pass the time. 

I have talked to women like you MG.They said to them having to drink a couple of milk shakes a day was not fun.And that they would like to have a few pounds on them.Where you have someone who is very heavy and can't take a pound off is struggling with the opposite.

Bony isn't attractive nor is extreme obesity.  I think women look better with a few pounds on them and I think most men agree.  Men?  Are you there?

Guest DRS81

I think if you feel like your teeth are falling out (that weird feeling we sometimes get), it's time to cut back on the sugar. I'm thin, which means I can eat heavily and gain like 1 pound. But having a fast metabolism is not a substitute to erase sin. Staying strict to a diet can help and having your fridge organized. There's a lot of things we can do to self manage and getting into good routines. - DRS81

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Bony isn't attractive nor is extreme obesity.  I think women look better with a few pounds on them and I think most men agree.  Men?  Are you there?

My wife weighs 43 kg (94 lb) so I guess I will remove myself from the conversation..

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  285
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

As I recall we are warned in Proverbs not to be among gluttonous eaters of flesh. Self-control is part of the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5).