IGNORED

Why is obesity such a major problem in america?

Guest NH_Marine15

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  0

I think it was leonard who said something about food allergies...if it wasn't please correct me :blink:

My neices fiance just went through numerous tests because his weight went up like 25lbs stayed there and then dropped dramatically...he had stomach aches and was sick all the time...well come to find out it was all due to food allergies. It shocked me. So yea I believe food allergies do happen...I seen it first hand.

I struggle with my weight too by the way. But as sam pointed out...I don't spend on red penny on the gimmicks out there that they advertise...

Love and Blessings,

Angel

• Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

Danielle, I just wanted to make the comment that diabetes is the result of being overweight, not the cause. :blink:

That is not correct. Type 1 diabetes for example is not caused by being overweight.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, Jade, I was talking about the much more common, adult (2) diabetes, which I think the poster was referring to also. I was not talking about childhood diabetes at all.

Either way, diabetes in either type will not "make you overweight".

Thank you for the clarification.

• Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

I think I already recounted my experience in another thread - I had to take depro-provera shots for six months. They make you crave food, much like steriods do. It wasn't the "medical problem" making me gain weight, it was my lack of self control to work harder in light of the new medical situation. I'm never quite sure what these 'medical problems' are that are blamed, as I dont' know of any that make you gain weight, just ones that make you want to eat.

NicksGirl, I do agree with you. The age-old formula is just as valid today. If you burn more calories than you take in, you lose weight. There are lots of ways to burn calories.

Sure, there are skinny people that don't excerise and eat what they want to and will for life. But they are as rare as the medical 'causes' being discussed.

I wonder what the line is that crosses over to 'sin'? Am I in sin because I'm 15 pounds overweight? Or is 5 the line? Or is 1? 100? Guess we just have to listen to God's voice on that one, like everything else.

And no, I'm not thin. I'm 5' 6" and am 15 pounds overweight at 145, so believe me, I like my food, especially my junk, and I get lazy about burning the calories. I just hate the 'blame game' that is so popular with our culture now. :blink:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  372
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  12/20/1990

I am only 14 I am overweight

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76

ok ya all....jesus is a one size fits all !!!! large, skinny, short, tall :blink:

Love and Blessings,

Angel

Guest Thomas I believe
ok ya all....jesus is a one size fits all !!!!  large, skinny, short, tall  :blink:

Love and Blessings,

Angel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen !!!!!!!

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

No need to get sensitive about the subject

Hey, NH -

Please understand, the subject is sensative. Feelings have been hurting before you even posted your question.

The question of why there is such an overweight problem is a valid concern from a scientific standpoint. However, there are ways to address this question that don't come across as pouring lemon juice on a paper cut! In all likelihood, you did not mean to come across abbrassive. Unfortunately, it did sound condensending.

but studies show that most overweight people are that way because the simply have become adapted to that way of lifestyle.  yes there are some people who have medical problems but i'm mainlt talking about the other ooverweight people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can speak for myself here.

People react differently to stress than others. Some are prone to release stress through exercise, others through creative expression (i.e. art), but some through food. Unfortunately, not everyone is inclined towards physical activity, nor are articstic, so where do we go?

Many depressed people also (unconscientiously) turn to food for comfort (try to feel good at the moment by eating something pleasurable). I speak from experience.

Not everyone has the time, energy, or will-power to change clothes and head to the gym. Many people don't even enjoy execising for the sake of exercising. I know I sure don't!

This is on top of the highly processed foods that are mostly served us. I know I'd like to eat less processed foods - but I don't have the money to buy the better quality foods, nor the time to cook such foods. Eating and cooking healthy is very expensive and very time-consuming. BTW - where can I get a pizza made from whole wheat flour? :blink:

Sure, for those that are not overweight due to medical consitions, weight can be lost by just eating less. But do you have any idea just how hard this is? I had to be in a situation where I was literally forced to eat less. Believe me, it was tough! Determining which foods are best for your body's needs is helpful, too. For example, I tried the low-carb thing and discovered I need carbs to function! I also discovered chicken rejuvinates me when I am feeling weary. But this is me.

I'll admit I'm addicted to eating. Fortunately, I have found some control for my addiction and now wear a smaller dress size than I did in 7th grade(!). Unfortunately, it is not 100% under control. But I am also still struggling out of chronic depression - I was definantly the turn-to-food type. Well, still am, actually - I just have better resistances now than I did then.

So, I hope this answers your question.

• Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

At 5'6" and 200 lbs., I know I'm overweight. I've been at this weight for several years-I've lost some every now and then only to have it come back. I deal with mild arthritis, but that comes from a car wreck 10-12 years ago. I have poor circulation in my legs, but that's hereditary and not a weight problem. My blood pressure and heart rate are well within normal range, so I really suffer no adverse effects that I know of. I'm currently lifting weights to try to get into better shape, but the problem is that while my arms and chest are getting bigger, my stomach isn't shrinking, lol! :)

Guest NH_Marine15

I will tell you all who are upset about what I have posted. My best friend died from being over weight because she simply didn't help herself be healthier. My mother has medical problems because she is over weight and for years hasn't done anything about it. I too have struggled with my weight. Everyone who is getting offended by this posting shouldn't. I'm not judging people, i'm just trying to understand why that if you are over weight from laziness, why can't people understand that it is not healthy and why wouldn't people try their hardest and seek medical advise to help them. Don't judge me because I asked a simple question. Hey, I'm also a US Marine and some people don't like that because when the time comes for war, yes I might have to kill people in defending myself and other so should I be judged? Of course not because I'm not judgeing anyone. I don't know people's reason for them being over weight and instead of getting offensive ans snappy and judgemental, help me and other people try to understand reasons behind this. It's not a perfect world- we all know that. I'm not perfect I just have alot of concern. Thank You.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I will tell you all who are upset about what I have posted.  My best friend died from being over weight because she simply didn't help herself be healthier.  My mother has medical problems because she is over weight and for years hasn't done anything about it.  I too have struggled with my weight.  Everyone who is getting offended by this posting shouldn't.  I'm not judging people, i'm just trying to understand why that if you are over weight from laziness, why can't people understand that it is not healthy and why wouldn't people try their hardest and seek medical advise to help them.  Don't judge me because I asked a simple question.  Hey, I'm also a US Marine and some people don't like that because when the time comes for war, yes I might have to kill people in defending myself and other so should I be judged?  Of course not because I'm not judgeing anyone.  I don't know people's reason for them being over weight and instead of getting offensive ans snappy and judgemental, help me and other people try to understand reasons behind this.  It's not a perfect world- we all know that.  I'm not perfect I just have alot of concern.  Thank You.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hummmmm.......... Why are so many americans struggling with their weight? Why would anyone let themselves go like that?

The blue part may to you be just a simple statement, but to me it is rather a serious put down. While the question may be valid, you should not say it so bluntly among people you don't know.

I personally don't know a single person who is much overweight that does not have a problem that has caused it. Overeating is usually caused by things besides gluttony. Doesn't mean that one should overeat, but most of the time what causes theovereating is worse than the weight, and that is why we are fat.

I am 6'3" and about 260. I am about 30 pounds over weight for my body style, and it is mostly due to the steroids I take for asthma.