IGNORED

Which version of the Bible do you prefer?

BeeThere

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I don't think that verse pertains to the whole Biblde but the book of revelation.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I've given a lot of thought to this since this thread started and noticed tend to listen to the KJV but read the 1972 version of the NASB.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

It doesn't matter too much to me since they all say basically the same thing, but the one that I happen to have and use often is NKJ.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

i agree

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Hi!  was reading Jeremiah (kjv) i liked this particular verse 2:20 "For of old time I have broken thy yoke, and burst thy bands; and thou saidst, I will not transgress; when upon every high hill and under every green tree thou wanderest, playing the harlot."..

i checked it against other bible versions and they have changed it for eg (NIV) "Long ago you broke off your yoke and tore off your bonds; you said, 'I will not serve you!' Indeed, on every high hill and under every spreading tree you lay down as a prostitute." Seems quite different..what do you folk think?

I'm not sure if this verse is well known for choosing which bible or not, normally i don't wonder about such matters. This is the first time i ever looked to see how other bibles transliterated a piece of scripture... I will stay with KJV

Glory to God

Edited by countingsheep

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Hi!  was reading Jeremiah (kjv) i liked this particular verse 2:20 "For of old time I have broken thy yoke, and burst thy bands; and thou saidst, I will not transgress; when upon every high hill and under every green tree thou wanderest, playing the harlot."..

i checked it against other bible versions and they have changed it for eg (NIV) "Long ago you broke off your yoke and tore off your bonds; you said, 'I will not serve you!' Indeed, on every high hill and under every spreading tree you lay down as a prostitute." Seems quite different..what do you folk think?

I'm not sure if this verse is well known for choosing which bible or not, normally i don't wonder about such matters. This is the first time i ever looked to see how other bibles transliterated a piece of scripture... I will stay with KJV

Glory to God

check this out it may help someone

New King James Omissions

Omits the word “Lord” 66 times. Omits the word “God” 51 times. Omits the word “heaven” 50 times. Omits the word “repent” 44 times. Omits the word “blood” 23 times. Omits the word “hell” 22 times. Omits the word “JEHOVAH” entirely. Omits the word “new testament” entirely. Omits the word “damnation” entirely. Omits the word “devils” entirely.

NIV Omissions

Entire verses omitted include: Matthew 17:21, Matthew 18:11, Matthew 23:14, Mark 7:16, Mark 9:44, Mark 9:46, Mark 11:26, Mark 15:28, Luke 23:17, John 5:4, Acts 8:37, Acts 15:34, Acts 24:7, Acts 28:29, Romans 16:24.

ESV Omissions

ESV completely omits the following verses from the New Testament: Matthew 17:21, 18:11, 23:14; Mark 7:16, 9:44, 9:46, 11:26, 15:28; Luke 17:36, 23:17; John 5:4; Acts 8:37, 15:34, 28:29; Romans 16:24, plus partial omissions in Mat. 5:22, Mat. 19:9, Mark 9:49, Luke 4:4, Luke 22:64, John 3:13, John 8:59, Acts 18:21, Rom. 8:1, Rom. 13:9, 1 Cor. 10:28, 2 Cor. 4:10, Gal. 3:1, Eph. 3:14, Col. 1:14, 1 Tim. 1:1, Tit. 1:4, Heb. 1:3, Heb 2:7, 1 Pet. 4:1, Rev. 14:5, Luke 9:55-56, Acts 9:5-6 and 1 John 5:7-8.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  64
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I often listen to a modern translation in my car, and when I am reading. But when it comes to scripture memorization, I prefer the KJV. I would read the KJV regularly, but the old language slows me down a bit.

I've always used the KJV. But of late I found a reference to, The Holy Bible In Its Original Order - A Faithful Version with Commentary, that was recommended to me at another Christian forum I'm member of.

I'm hoping the local library can obtain a copy through interlibrary loan so I can review it rather than purchase to find out if I like it or not.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

I often listen to a modern translation in my car, and when I am reading. But when it comes to scripture memorization, I prefer the KJV. I would read the KJV regularly, but the old language slows me down a bit.

I personally like studying with the ESV and NKJV a lot. However, I also like the NASB. Not a big fan of the KVJ due to the antiquated language. The NLT is also good for just reading the Bible.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

check this out it may help someone

New King James Omissions

Omits the word “Lord” 66 times. Omits the word “God” 51 times. Omits the word “heaven” 50 times. Omits the word “repent” 44 times. Omits the word “blood” 23 times. Omits the word “hell” 22 times. Omits the word “JEHOVAH” entirely. Omits the word “new testament” entirely. Omits the word “damnation” entirely. Omits the word “devils” entirely.

This comes straight from a website. What they don't look at is if the meaning of the passage is changed by doing so. If the meaning is the same then there really is no problem. It reminds me of the monarchy vs republic debate in Australia a number of years ago. The monarchists ran a very clever campaign saying there would be a certain amount of changes to the constitution if we became a republic. That scared a lot of people. However if one looked at what the changes were most of them were removing references to the monarchy or crown. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  1

What I would like to know about the NKJV specifically, is the places where these words are left out, so I can examine them and see if they used other language to say the same thing, or outright omitted them.  As of right now, I am reserving judgment.  Simply having a list like that doesn't impress me much, and I am KJV only.  Give some specific instances.  Show the verses side by side with the KJV Bible.

I'm with you on that one. It does little good to just number the number of words by usage, since they are all translated. In the Old Testament "Lord" can be rendered from many Hebrew and Greek words and the NKJV mat have rendered another equivalent. It only counts if you change the meaning of what is being said to us.

Thanks.

In Christ, Pat

Strong's Concordance Renderings Below:

Strongs # Translit. Pronunciation English Equivalent

H113 'adown ä·dōn' Lord, master(s), Lord, owner, sir

H136 'Adonay ad·ō·nōy' Lord, Lord, God

H3050 Yahh yä Lord, JAH

H3068 Yĕhovah yeh·hō·vä' Lord, GOD, JEHOVAH, variant

H4756 mare' (Aramaic) mä·rā' Lord, Lord

H5633 ceren seh'·ren Lord, plate

H7261 rabrĕban (Aramaic) rav·rev·än' Lord, prince

H1376 gĕbiyr ghev·ēr' Lord

H3072 Yĕhovah tsidqenuw ye·hō·vä' tsid·kā'·nü Lord our Righteousness

H3074 Yĕhovah shammah yeh·hō·vä' shäm'·mä The Lord is there

H3069 Yĕhovih yeh·hō·vē' GOD, Lord

H7991 shaliysh shä·lēsh' captain, Lord, instrument of musick, great measure, excellent thing, measure, prince

H2486 chaliylah khä·lē'·lä God forbid, far be it, be...far, Lord forbid, misc

H7229 rab (Aramaic) rav great, master, stout, chief, captain, Lord

H241 'ozen ō'·zen ear(s), audience, hearing, show, advertise, displeased the Lord, hear, hear, reveal, tell

H117 'addiyr ad·dēr' nobles, excellent, mighty, principal, famous, gallant, glorious, goodly, Lordly, noble one, worthies

H1181 Ba`aley Bamowth vah·al·ā' vä·moth' Lords of the high places

H7300 ruwd rüd dominion, Lords, mourn, ruleth

H8269 sar sar prince, captain, chief, ruler, governor, keeper, principal, general, Lords, misc

Greek Results (New Testament)

Strongs # Translit. Pronunciation English Equivalent

G1203 despotēs des-po'-tās Lord, master

G2962 kyrios kü'-rē-os Lord, Lord, master, sir, Sir, misc

G4462 rhabbouni rhäb-bü-nē' Lord (Christ), Rabboni (Christ)

G2961 kyrieuō kü-rē-yü'-ō have dominion over, exercise Lordship over, be Lord of, Lords

G2634 katakyrieuō kä-tä-kü-rē-yü'-ō exercise dominion over, overcome, be Lord over, exercise Lordship over

G4151 pneuma pnyü'-mä Spirit, Holy Ghost, Spirit (of God), Spirit (of the Lord), (My) Spirit, Spirit (of truth), Spirit (of Christ), human (spirit), (evil) spirit, spirit (general), spirit, (Jesus' own) spirit, (Jesus' own) ghost

G2960 kyriakos kü-rē-ä-ko's Lord's