• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Hi,

I was wondering what image comes to mind when you think about your walk with God.

For a long time I use to think God was somewhere high above me in the clouds smiling down when I did something right, but then he was also waiting to zap me when I did something wrong.  

Now though the image I get is me and Jesus walking side by side.  Sometimes I am running ahead a little, sometimes lagging behind and at other times walking with him hand in hand.

It took me ages to realise that I am a friend of God - thinking of where Jesus said to his disciples they were no longer servants but friends Jn 15 v 15.  It is interesting to do a word search and see how many times Jesus used the word friend when speaking to people (he used it a lot).

So how about  you?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Before I knew him as God I too thought of him as far away. The one who stood at the ready to zap me when I did wrong. Today it is much different. Though God is the one who allows me to be zapped when I do wrong it is for my own good and not my destruction.

He is a good God!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

I have always thought of the story of the Footprints in the Sand, where the man, ask Jesus, you promise to always be with me in life, but at my most awful trials, I see not two pairs of footprints in the sand, but one.  To which Jesus replies, my child when life was to tough for you to walk with Me, I just pick you up and carry you.

Even though I have often made a mess of things in my life, I know when i am weakest, I no longer walk with Jesus, He just carries me.  My walk with Jesus means at my lowest times in life, that I can't walk; my Savior picks me up and just carries me.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  190
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  02/26/1970

That is the way I Think too

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

My idea of my walk with God is not being a hearer of the word, but a doer. Having my mind renewed - accomplishing these things - no!

All good stuff folks - I suppose each answer depends on where each person is at in their relationship with God and their experiences.

I don't know how old everyone is, but it would be interesting to hear also from people who have been on the journey a long time and are getting on a bit…maybe to explain what they thought when younger and how they view things now…..

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Oh wow!. I was first saved around 1958 but had bad teaching in a liberal church. I thought Jesus had died to give me a second chance to be good enough to go to heaven. I repented, read the Bible and was baptized. But my faith? I thought God was "up there". I built an alter with candles around my open Bible which I read each night. When I prayed, God was with me in the room but He was not close yet. I was still trying to keep the 10 commandments to go to heaven. The sermon on the mount was beautiful sacred poetry but no one could do that so it was pie in the sky.

In 1961 I took confirmation in the Lutheran church and learned that salvation is by faith, not by works. But my attitudes stank. So while I ignored the sermon on the mount, that was the the very thing God wanted to get into my heart. It is my attitudes that produce the actions, and my attitudes must be dealt with. Only God can change those.

So I continued to drop into a church mid week and pray occasionally, since my husband would take my car keys and forbid me to attend church instead of going with me as I had expected. He tore up my bibles so I had to hide them. I back slid; I needed the encouragment of a church.

In 1969 I attended a Campus Crusade gathering and learned I was a "carnal Christian". After rededicating my life to Christ, I joined a CC 10 basic steps bible study in 1970 where I learned that only by allowing Christ to live in me can my attitudes change. There I learned to walk in the Spirit--to hear God's voice and follow Him. He refilled me and guided me; I learned to walk in obedience to Him like a treasure hunt, not knowing where I would go or what was required till I obeyed the last thing I had found in Scripture. The Word became alive to me and a part of my life as I applied it to my situations, clinging to promises and obeying. It is a walk of faith. The just shall live by his faith. Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Since 1970 my walk with God has grown very intimate. At first it was full of emotional highs and lows, and dry times. One time I told the Lord I didn't want emotional mountain tops or crashes into the lush valleys of growth. I just want to hide myself in the cleft of the Rock and be near to Him. That pretty much sums up my relationship now. Intimacy.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Awesome testimony, Willimina, I wished that I knew The Lord back in 1958, back then I was languishing through the wilderness, dropping out of life, but my time came in 1975. Nevertheless, for decades after my New Birth life was a rocky road due to overwhelming circumstances that I allowed to have the dominance over me.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings blue gem...

I suppose your OP may sound like a very simple question,,,"What image comes to my mind when I think of my walk with God?"..............Not so easy for me to describe the many 'images' that see......I have had such a very long walk with God,,,,,I think of winding roads,going over hills & mountains,through dark tunnels into the bright light,hiitting "dead ends' & having to back track & start all over,forks in the road,dirt roads,valleys ,crossing streams......downhill pathways,through think & dense forests ,the edge of a cliff,;parched through the burning hot desert,freezing through snow &  quiet walks on a balmy  beach .................& through it all,Jesus by my side & at any moment & in every place we traveled together...I could close my eyes & I would be nestled on my Heavenly Fathers lap & He lets me rest with His Arms around me.....anytime I said to Jesus ,'i'm so tired"...he takes me to our Father                         Ahhhh,that is some of the images I see,I am never & never have been alone

With love-in Christ,KWIK

Its great to hear from everyone and to see how people have journeyed with God.  Its interesting to hear people talk about light, pastures, footsteps etc and I imagine many can identity with all of this.

I forgot about this as it was a long time ago, but it is about a journey, so I thought I would post it.

I use to go to a different church for some time but lots of problems arose,  (I wont go into them besides its all in the past now).  So for a 2-3 years I stopped going to church, although i never stopped believing in God.

Then I found another church and have been going ever since, but shortly after starting at the new church, I had the following dream:-

I was somewhere completely dark, the only light was a road which seemed to shine out with a brilliant brightness against the darkness.

I was stood on this road and it stretched way out into the distance both in front of me in the direction I was heading and also behind me where I had come from.

Then suddenly the scene changed and I was stood in the darkness and I felt really scared, but I could see the road just ahead of me and I knew that all I had to do was get back on that road.  Then I found myself back on the road again and I just knew that I was safe while ever I stayed on this road, it didn't matter about the darkness surrounding it.

At the time I believe I was being shown how dark the darkness is, but also how fantastically bright is the journey we take with God in comparison and that he truly is the light.

God bless and thanks for sharing