• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,205
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Marriage involves a relationship, as does being part of the Body of Christ. This scripture has some revealing things to say.

`For you endure it if a man assumes control of your souls & makes slaves of you, or devours your substance, spends your money, & preys upon you, or deceives & takes advantage of you, or is arrogant & puts on airs, or strikes you in the face...` (2 Cor. 11: 20  AMP) 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Marriage involves a relationship, as does being part of the Body of Christ. This scripture has some revealing things to say.

`For you endure it if a man assumes control of your souls & makes slaves of you, or devours your substance, spends your money, & preys upon you, or deceives & takes advantage of you, or is arrogant & puts on airs, or strikes you in the face...` (2 Cor. 11: 20 AMP)

Isn't Paul in 2 Cor 11 in context talking about pure devotion to Christ and suffering for the gospel? Or is this referring to suffering at the hand of another Believer?

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

I have followed this thread with interest.

I'd like to ask a question if I may: What if a Christian divorces an abusive spouse who also claim to be a "Christian"?

God bless,

GE

Lets not add to scripture for justifying re doing it...

Should a slave leave the master if abusive?

1 Peter 2:18

Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.

Yes but is one spouse master over the other? Is one spouse a slave? You are IMO taking a passage out of context that talks about salves and masters.

I assume you are speaking of husbands... What about passages such as:

*Eph 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her,

Are husbands not to lead their wives sacrificially as servant leaders?

Or, how about wives honoring and respecting their husbands?

*Eph 5:33

However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

See all of Eph 5 ( https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians+5&version=ESV ) for context. How do you view these passages? Surely we can say at the very least abuse calls for a separation?

God bless,

GE

Conjuring up a good human reason for divorcing and remarriage like abuse is what is being asked for a justification, right? The Bible clearly says that death and adultery are the 2 reasons given for remarriage. Not abuse! But abuse is a newly added justification that is being asked. It is good human reason no doubt, but not biblical.

I gave the slave scripture because if even a slave should bear the burden of a "bad" master how much more a spouse. Is the slave one with their master? No. Are the spouses one with each other? YES! If a slave is not permitted to leave the "bad" master, then how much less one spouse leaving the other?

The scripture is used as an example of remaining in a bad situation. It is dividing scriptures rightfully even looking at biblical scriptures in similar yet different situations.

The answer is NO. Abuse is not a good reason to remarry Biblically. However we do have laws against abuse and violence and there are channels for punishment and correction if someone "even the man" is in a harmful situation.

I'm not conjuring up reasons for divorce and remarriage. Are you reading what I'm writing? I didn't ask if abuse was grounds for remarriage. I asked if abuse was grounds for separation. So I will ask again. Is abuse grounds for separation?

So I understand what you are saying regarding masters and slaves... If a husband consistently abuses his wife she is to remain living with him?

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  118
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/31/1950

Is divorce a greater issue than the love of God?

Is divorce a greater issue than the forgiveness of God?

Is divorce a greater issue than showing love for one another?

I've made 3 posts that have been ignored, yet you still are looking for answers.

Try answering my questions.

Then maybe you'll find some answers.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  653
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  03/26/1977

I have followed this thread with interest.

I'd like to ask a question if I may: What if a Christian divorces an abusive spouse who also claim to be a "Christian"?

God bless,

GE

Lets not add to scripture for justifying re doing it...

Should a slave leave the master if abusive?

1 Peter 2:18

Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.

Yes but is one spouse master over the other? Is one spouse a slave? You are IMO taking a passage out of context that talks about salves and masters.

I assume you are speaking of husbands... What about passages such as:

*Eph 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her,

Are husbands not to lead their wives sacrificially as servant leaders?

Or, how about wives honoring and respecting their husbands?

*Eph 5:33

However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

See all of Eph 5 ( https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians+5&version=ESV ) for context. How do you view these passages? Surely we can say at the very least abuse calls for a separation?

God bless,

GE

Conjuring up a good human reason for divorcing and remarriage like abuse is what is being asked for a justification, right? The Bible clearly says that death and adultery are the 2 reasons given for remarriage. Not abuse! But abuse is a newly added justification that is being asked. It is good human reason no doubt, but not biblical.

I gave the slave scripture because if even a slave should bear the burden of a "bad" master how much more a spouse. Is the slave one with their master? No. Are the spouses one with each other? YES! If a slave is not permitted to leave the "bad" master, then how much less one spouse leaving the other?

The scripture is used as an example of remaining in a bad situation. It is dividing scriptures rightfully even looking at biblical scriptures in similar yet different situations.

The answer is NO. Abuse is not a good reason to remarry Biblically. However we do have laws against abuse and violence and there are channels for punishment and correction if someone "even the man" is in a harmful situation.

I'm not conjuring up reasons for divorce and remarriage. Are you reading what I'm writing? I didn't ask if abuse was grounds for remarriage. I asked if abuse was grounds for separation. So I will ask again. Is abuse grounds for separation?

So I understand what you are saying regarding masters and slaves... If a husband consistently abuses his wife she is to remain living with him?

God bless,

GE

If this is occurring then the husband should be in jail, right? In today's society it is not hard to get a domestic assault charge and conviction. Is it? 

And sure, separation can be an option. Although specifics matter, and the wife is suppose to be submissive...not defiant. However, we have laws that protect her from physical harm. So I do not see a separation as necessary, if it is, then once again he would be in jail.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,205
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Golden Eagle,

Thanks for the question, interesting discussion. Now you said -

`Isn't Paul in 2 Cor 11 in context talking about pure devotion to Christ and suffering for the gospel? Or is this referring to suffering at the hand of another Believer?`

Paul was speaking to the Corinthians about  `false apostles, deceitful workers.....` (2 Cor. 11: 13) They were putting up with this behaviour from them - `controlling, enslaving, devouring substance, spends their money, deceives & takes advantage of them, arrogant, & actually physically abusive.` (2 Cor. 11: 20)

Thus if the Apostle Paul was telling the Corinthian believers that they should not be letting people behave like that to them then that would include a marriage relationship also. If in a marriage there is continual physical abuse & no repentance or seeking counselling  then the marriage vows have been broken. The `divorce` proceedings are merely the outward confirming of the reality - broken vows. 

I've made 3 posts that have been ignored, yet you still are looking for answers.

You gave 10 commandments. Then asked questions. Be specific and explain further. I honestly didn't even know what you meant when listing the 10 commandments to these specific questions. 

Is divorce a greater issue than the love of God? No

Is divorce a greater issue than the forgiveness of God? No

Is divorce a greater issue than showing love for one another? No

The question is, "Can a divorced person remarry?"

And you put love your neighbor as yourself, and basically asked if God is bigger than divorce? 

Explain your thought process more please if you want a response.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  118
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/31/1950

You gave 10 commandments. Then asked questions. Be specific and explain further. I honestly didn't even know what you meant when listing the 10 commandments to these specific questions. 

And you put love your neighbor as yourself, and basically asked if God is bigger than divorce? 

God tells us what's right and what's wrong.

But then he forgives us when we have done wrong.

In John 8:1-11;, Jesus said, he who is without sin cast the first stone. When no one came forward he said, I don't condemn you either. Now go and sin no more.

He left this adulteress woman there and went on his way, leaving the interpretation of that to her.

When the Samaritan woman at the well admitted she was living with a man outside of marriage, Jesus said, now sin no more.

He left her there to interpret that for herself.

So although we know right from wrong, as Paul teaches us, does not God still forgive us?

Does he not leave it up to us how to apply things to our lives?

Romans 3:24;

and all are freely justified by his grace through the redemption that came by Jesus Christ.

Are not following these rules a work?

Think about it.

If following these rules determines our relationship with Christ, then grace would no longer be grace.

We cannot judge each other by rules.

We need to judge with our hearts.

Romans 14:4;

Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

If the Lord is able to make them stand, then who are we to knock them down?

If two people have repented of their sins and then ask God to bless their marriage, I believe he will.

He is a loving God.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Forgiveness is not a pass to sin.  We need to refrain from sinning, not sin and depend on His forgiveness.

In John 8:1-11;, Jesus said, he who is without sin cast the first stone. When no one came forward he said, I don't condemn you either. Now go and sin no more.

He left this adulteress woman there and went on his way, leaving the interpretation of that to her.

When the Samaritan woman at the well admitted she was living with a man outside of marriage, Jesus said, now sin no more.

About the Samaritan woman, Jesus never told her to sin no more to leave her to interpret what He meant.

John 4:16-26

Jesus said to her, “Go, call your husband, and come here.”

The woman answered and said, “I have no husband.”

Jesus said to her, “You have well said, ‘I have no husband,’ for you have had five husbands, and the one whom you now have is not your husband; in that you spoke truly.”

The woman said to Him, “Sir, I perceive that You are a prophet. Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, and you Jews say that in Jerusalem is the place where one ought to worship.”

Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father. You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

The woman said to Him, “I know that Messiah is coming” (who is called Christ). “When He comes, He will tell us all things.”

Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am He.

Then He spent two days with them.

So although we know right from wrong, as Paul teaches us, does not God still forgive us?

and all are freely justified by his grace through the redemption that came by Jesus Christ.

You should of continued onto Romans 6:1-14

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin. Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

We are to not sin as He does not sin.  Are we perfect?  No, but we are to allow Him to live in and through us, for we are told in 1 Corinthians 6:19:

Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.

Think about it.

If following these rules determines our relationship with Christ, then grace would no longer be grace.

Works are separate from grace, for we read in Ephesians 2:8-10

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

If two people have repented of their sins and then ask God to bless their marriage, I believe he will.

He is a loving God.

Have you not read John 7:24?

Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.

God tells us that the judgment we hold others to will be what we will be judged for ourselves. This is a warning against hypocrisy. It is not telling us not to judge, for we all judge to an extent.  Romans 14:4 is not speaking about adultery, but about what food others eat or what days they esteem.  According to you, we could sin all we wanted to and nobody should say a word.  Where is your love for your bother in that?  I know when I sin I want my brothers and sisters to hold me accountable and correct me.  That is true love, confrontation is never easy.

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Think about it.

He is a loving God.

Are you using grace and forgiveness as a justification for lasciviousness and licentiousness? 

I believe there is great danger in doing that and we should work out our salvation with fear and trembling. We are suppose to "follow" Jesus. Not do what we will and say, "well He forgives and loves regardless." So lets sin.This attitude is a doctrine of demons. He does love and forgive, but commands us to live a life of obedience and repentance. The scriptures give clear guidance on rules in marriage and divorce. They should be followed. Not broken and justified by grace trampling on the cross as an unholy thing.