IGNORED

If God knows and sees all, why do we need to pray?

jerryR34

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/02/1957

In Heaven close to Gods throne there is 24 bowls where all the prayer are and all those prayers are made into incence and they are lit and we pray to show God and us just how much we trust and our Faith that He will answer or prayers there are 3 answers that God give to prayer 1 yes  2 no and 3 wait its not time yet

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Prayer has many effects, it is true but fundamentally when people of faith pay they expect that their prayers will cause changes to take place, not only in them, but in others and in the real world. Prayer is not dropping a penny in the wishing well. It is not like the prayer wheels that turn about in the wind and accomplish nothing. When the scriptures speak of prayers being answered they present the picture of God being entreated to do something He may not and in some cases definitely would not otherwise do. Abraham's petition with the Theophany really did seem to be entreating God not to destroy Sodom. Was this really going on as it appeared to be - or was it just a puppet theatre? When God said to Moses "Stand aside I will destroy these people" Moses stood in his way and interceded for them. Was God bluffing? It does not appear so. The same could be said of the prayers of Daniel. Would the prophecy of the return been fulfilled if somebody had not prayed? I am not so sure. Many did not go back because they had become prosperous and content in Babylon. Daniel's influence was what moved changes to take place in the heaven.

Jesus spoke this way too. He invited His disciples to do His works and (later) greater works yet some of it could not take place unless they had faith. They did not automatically have faith. Faith was something that had to be acted upon even when they knew that God had called them to take the step. Paul prayed for all men around him. He did so expecting something to happen.

Some promises offered and foretold by God require a human response to be realized. If you do not believe this then you have to say that much of what the word says does not mean what it appears to say but must correspond to some theological system that would not be around for millenia - that of Calvin who got it from Augustine who learned it from the Gnostic teacher Mani. In that world-view everything is predetermined. God Himself does not change, not in His character but is ready to change His will about things when our relationship to Him changes. When we pray for ourselved it changes this relationships.

I am new in this thread but it seems to me that the issue being discussed it is less about prayer than the underlying issue of compatiblism. It is an attribute of God that He knows the future. He knows what we wil freely choose but we are still the ones that must choose to be faithful and pray (and everything else). It is quite an honor to be a part of what God is doing. The sovereign Lord has chosen to give us an active vital role in the redemptive plan!  As I heard a teacher say recently "He wants to make us like Him and to be partners with Him in making all things like Him" which is another way of saying he has given us the ministry of reconciliation.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  02/09/1987

Does my opinion on something that seems unfair have an impact on God's decistion to change it?  Prayer really seems like a man-made construct to me.

sorry for the typo in the OP question...

It says in the bible, Jesus prayed, meaning it was not man-made, Jesus prayed to God himself, we follow Jesus foot steps so we pray also. We pray it connects us to God and its like we are talking to our best friend. When we worry and talk to a friend, we can go talk to God and talk to him and he can give us peace, our friends cant heal us, God can. 

Guest Fish Catcher Jim

Prayer is not merely done it is commanded. In fact Jesus answered this question already.

Let's allow Him to again

This is the amplified bible. 

Also when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by people. Truly I tell you, they have their reward [d]in full already.

But when you pray, go into your [most] private room, and, closing the door, pray to your Father, Who is in secret; and your Father, Who sees in secret, will reward you in the open.

And when you pray, do not heap up phrases (multiply words, repeating the same ones over and over) as the Gentiles do, for they think they will be heard for their much speaking.

Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.

Pray, therefore, like this: Our Father Who is in heaven, hallowed (kept holy) be Your name.

10 Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

11 Give us this day our daily bread.

12 And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven ([e]left, remitted, and let go of the debts, and have [f]given up resentment against) our debtors.

13 And lead (bring) us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

14 For if you forgive people their trespasses [their [g]reckless and willful sins,[h]leaving them, letting them go, and [i]giving up resentment], your heavenly Father will also forgive you.

15 But if you do not forgive others their trespasses [their [j]reckless and willful sins, [k]leaving them, letting them go, and [l]giving up resentment], neither will your Father forgive you your trespasses.

Prayer for ourselves. Philippians 4:6-

Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition ([a]definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God.

And God’s peace [shall be yours, that [b]tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall [c]garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

each one is answering in manners that aren't even really accurate. Even though I am understanding where you are coming from.

I pray many times a day, I do it because I love God and wish to know Him as much as a man is capable of knowing Him. I know beforehand my needs can be left with Him and I can focus on learning of Him. God does not speak conversationally as I would with my wife.The point is God created us to love Him of our own free will. Prayer doesn't change us, God changes us. Jesus is the word, the word transforms us.  The question was spoken to cause debate not because they want to really know. 

Does God speak to me?  Absolutely and accurately but so what? If what I do is just to hear Him for my own pride I will find my ears become stopped. God resist the proud. We can go to God and pray till we are blue in the face but if we are asking out of a wrong heart or motive He will not move and answer it.

God commands us to pray. It is not just for the sake of relationship it is because He is the source of all things. Humbling ourselves in His sight and trusting in Him. Prayer itself is the umbilical chord that keeps us fed and healthy and allows struggles and shortcomings to fall off, in Him talking to Him baring our hearts to Him. Not because it is a 2 way street God doesn't have to answer you. A wife on the other hand would not be one very long if she ignored her husband. We pray because it is commanded us to do so, the benefit of Obedience is blessing.

God bless you as you continue to seek Him

-Will

Greetings Will,

Thank You for this reply. To me prayer is not an option but something vital to my every step in this walk of my salvation. Prayer changes things, brings results and moves the heart of God. God desires our worship and prayer. Bringing His word in prayer is more powerful then anything you can imagine.

If I may Will I would like to add a scripture to those you listed and it is very important concerning prayers.

Mark 11:25 ...........And when ye stand praying........FORGIVE.......... if ye have aught against any..........that your Father which is in Heaven........may forgive you your trespasses..........

People tend to over look this. It is clear He means forgive right now for you can not stand there praying for 3 years until you feel you can forgive. So forgiveness must be a very vital part in prayers and so is Love for that matter.

Thank you Will and have a wonderful blessed 2015

Jim

Guest Fish Catcher Jim

Prayer has many effects, it is true but fundamentally when people of faith pay they expect that their prayers will cause changes to take place, not only in them, but in others and in the real world. Prayer is not dropping a penny in the wishing well. It is not like the prayer wheels that turn about in the wind and accomplish nothing. When the scriptures speak of prayers being answered they present the picture of God being entreated to do something He may not and in some cases definitely would not otherwise do. Abraham's petition with the Theophany really did seem to be entreating God not to destroy Sodom. Was this really going on as it appeared to be - or was it just a puppet theatre? When God said to Moses "Stand aside I will destroy these people" Moses stood in his way and interceded for them. Was God bluffing? It does not appear so. The same could be said of the prayers of Daniel. Would the prophecy of the return been fulfilled if somebody had not prayed? I am not so sure. Many did not go back because they had become prosperous and content in Babylon. Daniel's influence was what moved changes to take place in the heaven.

Jesus spoke this way too. He invited His disciples to do His works and (later) greater works yet some of it could not take place unless they had faith. They did not automatically have faith. Faith was something that had to be acted upon even when they knew that God had called them to take the step. Paul prayed for all men around him. He did so expecting something to happen.

Some promises offered and foretold by God require a human response to be realized. If you do not believe this then you have to say that much of what the word says does not mean what it appears to say but must correspond to some theological system that would not be around for millenia - that of Calvin who got it from Augustine who learned it from the Gnostic teacher Mani. In that world-view everything is predetermined. God Himself does not change, not in His character but is ready to change His will about things when our relationship to Him changes. When we pray for ourselved it changes this relationships.

I am new in this thread but it seems to me that the issue being discussed it is less about prayer than the underlying issue of compatiblism. It is an attribute of God that He knows the future. He knows what we wil freely choose but we are still the ones that must choose to be faithful and pray (and everything else). It is quite an honor to be a part of what God is doing. The sovereign Lord has chosen to give us an active vital role in the redemptive plan!  As I heard a teacher say recently "He wants to make us like Him and to be partners with Him in making all things like Him" which is another way of saying he has given us the ministry of reconciliation.

Praise God !!!

Blessings

Jim

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Praying to Omniscient Omnipotent Omnipresent God is not about chaning his mind or informing him of anything. In fact the Holy Spirit gives US utterence which at times even we do not understand.

Prayer is more about changing the one doing the prayer putting us in align with the will of God and well being of others. It is also about meditative communion with God (which is why Jesus went off by himself to pray).

Prayer is also God availing us the opportunity to partner with him in his will and his actions.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

Because He wants a relationship with us.If your parents know you exist then why do you have to visit with them?

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,213
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

If God knows and sees all, why do we need to pray?

This is my personal reflection on this question......     God has given us free will on planet earth which basically puts him in a place where he has decided not to force himself on any of us.   I personally think he asks us to pray for other people so he can give himself permission to act on behalf of our prayers and not just force himself into other people's lives.           That is one reason.

We are told that the prayers of many are stronger than the prayers of one, and that would be another reason.....   and I have no idea as to why it's that way, but I would wager a good guess that it has more to do with those praying than it does for the person being prayed for....

All communication builds relationships and praying is serious communication, so our prayers help keep our relationship with the Lord connected and stronger.

When you pray long enough it has been my experience that it's easier for him to talk back to us in many different ways......    on special occasions for me it maybe a directed thought that you understand didn't come from yourself and on very special occasions that comes across as spoken words...    and at least three occasions so strong I thought it was my ears hearing it.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

The Bible says to pray without ceasing.  I basically believe that means to just be a mind of  prayer all the time.  Be ready.  Prayer changes things, the very space around you.  Just like the Bible also says "God in habits the praises of His People.  The Word also says "The prayer of a righteous man avileth much.  It all works together. It's also a way to keep fellowship with Him.

Because He Lives!!

RustyAngeL