IGNORED

is it okay for the young Christians to drink alcohol?

miriam40012

it's a federal thing. the drinking age is 21 nationwide. some states have exceptions to the law though. in texas, a minor can drink if they have parental consent.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I personally don't adhere to any Bible.  I won't give my reasons for I would probably be banned for it.  I don't think children should drink.  I believe moderation is the key and that we should remember the physical illnesses we can get from overindulgance.  Alcohol is not good for the body but in moderation I think it's not really harmful.  Those with liver disease have to be very careful not to drink, especially as a habit.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

the problem with your logic Jesussavedme, is that without the Bible, we have no real, moral law. In fact, you can't even say that Jesus saved you-without the Bible. If we pick and choose what we believe-well guess what, were not God. We can't make those rules There has to be a defining authority-without it, we cant say whats right, or wrong. You can believe in moderation all you want-but fact is, your belief doesnt make it right or wrong, and without a solid authority to go to-you cant say underage drinking is wrong. You can't say murder is wrong. Because your reality is just as good as anyone elses. Bottom line is, without a governing authority that can't change on our whims, we cant say anything is right or wrong. Christianity, is based on God is the ultimate authority-and the Bible, His word to us. That Bible does not change, it is the very basis of christianity. Everything about christianity, is based off of that book. If that book is wrong, then all of christianity is wrong. If you don't believe in that book, then you don't believe in christianity. You cannot have Christianity without the Bible. It is impossible. No Bible, no story of salvation. No story of salvation, no salvation. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  5

I agree with Onelight...why be like the world. It's best to not drink at all if you can help it.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,678
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

Hi Miriam Welcome to Worthy!

Are You a Christian?

The bible teaches us to uphold the Law...So Don't drink if You are under the legal age....Don't get drunk in excess...Also we are told to abstain from all appearance of evil, so as not to be a stumbling block to others. So ask Yourself,  does drinking a mind altering drug look  ok to every person around You? If You are a Christian, do You want to take a chance of  offending any-one   and potentially have them  back away from knowing Jesus?...People can be very judgemental.....Just another thing for You to think about..

God Bless

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Miriam....

I totally agree with Snow,with everyone here because we all have the same Head,Christ Jesus.....& we are all called to reflect His image,as Ambassadors of Christ.....so as Snow is saying,,,,,,,,How does drinking show others  your walk with Jesus,as one who is called out,separate from the world,,,,,,living in the world yet not OF it?     People should look at us & see the result of a changed person ,a person they yearn to be like & have what we have....Love,Peace,Joy & all the wonderful Blessings from God ................

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Content Count:  56,181
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Just for the record, in Oklahoma the legal age to purchase alcohol is 21, however people under 21 can consume alcohol as long as they have parental permission and it is not at a location that sells  alcohol.   At home for instance.  I picked the age of 18 largely because it is the time when we start voting and it is my opinion that any use of alcohol by young people should be overseen by parents for a few years before they are turned loose with no supervision and in a lot of cases no education of the pitfalls of alcohol at all.....

The best way to keep people from becoming drunks is to either teach them to drink responsibly, or to not drink at all.   We have friends in both groups and I can see both sides....

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  257
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

there is another aspect, perhaps not yet specifically mentioned, which is that if you get drunk, you are not in control  of your mind or spirit anymore, and there are  dark forces that will take advantage of that. I have seen this in a man who was seeking the Lord but was also addicted to alcohol and I have seen it in  a member of my family when he was  taking cannabis.  To have the occasional drink at any age   is surely not 'sinful' but to have so much that you are no longer YOU,  cannot be pleasing to the Lord ( think Noah?) and leaves the door open to unwelcome influences.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Content Count:  56,181
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I don't see anywhere that God had any problem with Noah being drunk, but he did with his sober son.

Not that I'm trying to make the overuse of alcohol ok

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

I see that most of the answers are from a perspective of living in the U.S.

There are other countries which have a younger drinking age. And some countries only have an age limit for purchasing liquor/wine/beer or consuming in a public business. In the home, a parent may give the child a drink. In some places, wine or beer is safer then water and cheaper then good quality drinkable water (bottled). Drinking wine with lunch or dinner is more the standard practice. In some countries beer is consumed almost like soda, and is sold in vending machines in work places.

I grew up in a family which served wine on the sabbath (weekly) and other times of the year. So, I grew up drinking wine from a young age. Drinking some wine was no big deal. When I went to college, I was around other students who grew up in a more alchohol restricted environment so alchohol consumption became the thing to do. These were the students who partied, but not those who grew up drinking some wine. Call it the forbidden fruit effect, but in this case, alchohol is a right of passage to adulthood. 

The exception of course will be those who have a family history of alchoholism.