creativemechanic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

I was talking to a friend about wanting to be married, to which they commented- if i werent ever married, wouldnt having Jesus be enough? To me that statement really isnt accurate and is annoying to hear people tell others.

I based this  on that yes while our relationship with Jesus is very important and fulfills certain needs, it wont fill certain things a spouse will fill.

I base this on the fact that even though God had a relationship with adam, he still recognised the need for him to have a mate and thus produced eve. And yes there are people who are destined to live alone,  they have the mindset to want to live alone and not want anyone. So we really shouldnt tell someone that wants a spouse to say- You got Jesus, be happy.

What do u think?

Guest Teditis

I think that God often communicates and "grows" us in relationships...

through other people. And to not acknowledge that would be unwise.

A mate/spouse can be a very great blessing in these things and should

be sought by most, but not all. Perhaps your friend was just asking you

to remain open to the possibility that God wants some unmarried for certain

purposes but just said it in a rather in-artful way? idk. 

But really, I agree with you that we should be cautious when

discussing such things... not many are blessed with such insight in to other

people lives and purpose for God's work. So, if you're so inclined to marry

you should look and hope for God to bless you that way.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

I once knew a person who so desired to find a mate and get married, they were preoccupied by that desire. This person thought they could not be happy, unless they were married. They made a list of what they wanted in a mate. And they said to me that they prayed for God to give them the mate of their list, as God gives the desires of our hearts.

In my view, the desire to be married was such a central and most important thing in this persons life, they essentially based almost everything they thought and did around being married. They had not really started to live their life, thinking that marriage was needed to really live their life. Until they were married, they could not be happy.

Philipians 4:11Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

I asked that person, if God never gives you a spouse, could you be content with your life? They answered that God would not do that, as God will give you the desires of your heart. I am sad to say that this person never found the spouse which matched the list and remains unmarried. Even worse, they never really learned to be content, and never really lived their life.

We all have things we would like, but it should not be those things, or the lack of those things which would cause us or keep us from being content.  The lack should not keep us from living the life we have now, to it's fullness in service to God.

I once knew a person who so desired to find a mate and get married, they were preoccupied by that desire. This person thought they could not be happy, unless they were married. They made a list of what they wanted in a mate. And they said to me that they prayed for God to give them the mate of their list, as God gives the desires of our hearts.

In my view, the desire to be married was such a central and most important thing in this persons life, they essentially based almost everything they thought and did around being married. They had not really started to live their life, thinking that marriage was needed to really live their life. Until they were married, they could not be happy.

Philipians 4:11Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

I asked that person, if God never gives you a spouse, could you be content with your life? They answered that God would not do that, as God will give you the desires of your heart. I am sad to say that this person never found the spouse which matched the list and remains unmarried. Even worse, they never really learned to be content, and never really lived their life.

We all have things we would like, but it should not be those things, or the lack of those things which would cause us or keep us from being content.  The lack should not keep us from living the life we have now, to it's fullness in service to God

THATS TERRIFYING!!!!

:20: :20: :20:

Edited by creativemechanic

Guest shiloh357

I was talking to a friend about wanting to be married, to which they commented- if i werent ever married, wouldnt having Jesus be enough? To me that statement really isnt accurate and is annoying to hear people tell others.

Have you ever noticed that such responses like that tend to  come from married people or people who are in a relationship?  They have their blessing and somehow you wanting the same thing is seen as being dissatisfied with Jesus??

I have always been turned off by that as well, because it assumes that your desire for a spouse is almost seen as if you denying the sufficiency of Christ.  God hardwired people to be relational.  You shouldn't have to choose between a spouse and Jesus.  No one else who is married every feels that they had to make that kind of choice and so I think it is rather condescending of them to suggest that your dissatisfaction with being single is somehow a reflection on your relationship with Christ. 

So yeah, I totally get the annoyance you mentioned.

Have you ever noticed that such responses like that tend to  come from married people or people who are in a relationship?  They have their blessing and somehow you wanting the same thing is seen as being dissatisfied with Jesus??

I have always been turned off by that as well, because it assumes that your desire for a spouse is almost seen as if you denying the sufficiency of Christ.  God hardwired people to be relational.  You shouldn't have to choose between a spouse and Jesus.  No one else who is married every feels that they had to make that kind of choice and so I think it is rather condescending of them to suggest that your dissatisfaction with being single is somehow a reflection on your relationship with Christ. 

TRUE DAT.  Maybe we can ask if theyd willingly give up all they have for a life of solitude and see their response

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Thank you, Shiloh, for someone finally expressing how I feel.  Don't think I have quit express it this way before even though I know it is how I felt, thought I would just come across as being way to cross.  But it always has hurt deeply hearing married people giving me or other singles this type of answer.

Wish I could give so many more reps, for the above post.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

I based this  on that yes while our relationship with Jesus is very important and fulfills certain needs, it wont fill certain things a spouse will fill.

I base this on the fact that even though God had a relationship with adam, he still recognised the need for him to have a mate and thus produced eve. And yes there are people who are destined to live alone,  they have the mindset to want to live alone and not want anyone. So we really shouldnt tell someone that wants a spouse to say- You got Jesus, be happy.

What do u think?

I agree with you. 

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

We are all different. Jesus said that a person who can make themselves a eunuch for the kingdom of Heaven's sake should but also that this ability was not given unto all. Paul said to do it of we could or marry only saying that we would be guarenteed trouble in the flesh.

I am the marrying type. There is zero appeal in living single for God nor do I believe I am called too.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings creativemechanic,,,,,

Welcome to Worthy...............well,that depends on whether you are temporal or eternal minded,carnal or spiritual and your relationship with God in Christ......................Paul addresses these matters in Corinthians,Paul says that it would be great if everyone could be like him,,,,not content in all things,,,that is out of context but lets just say it plainly.............the desires of the flesh can be a distraction for the carnal minded & rather than have to contend with that it would be better for that man to have a wife..................

If a person does not feel complete in Jesus Christ then they are not complete,,,,,,the best union between two people are when 2 people are "complete",,,,not 2 halves make a whole,From the beginning God intended man to have a mate & His Plan was put into place,,,,,,,the account given is for us simple minded humans to understand God created everything & everyone etc....Can anyone dare to limit God so much to think He said"Oops,now what?I had better make a mate for this man I made?"God new everyone BEFORE the foundations of the earth were laid,,,,,,,Adam & Eve were supposed to populate

I guess I don;t get what you are saying .......Is your beef with people or with our Lord?And please don't take that the wrong way,I mean no offense,,,,,,I ask genuinely because I care how you feel ...      Our God is a God that loves us with Agape love,His love is ALL we can ever need but our flesh wars with our spirit & He understands that and has made every Provision for us,,,,,,,,,,Again,it is different depending on the individual................but Joy does not COME FROM another person,,,it comes from God,,,,,yet He adds happiness & other great gifts to those that love Him............for His Glory                            With love-in Christ,Kwik