missmuffet

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

I didn't participate in "Black Friday" this year.  I did my shopping online . . . for a pair of work shoes at half price I found on Amazon. All the other "deals" I've seen through out the year for the most part. I also had to work Thursday night, so I slept through it for the most part.

I never bought anything on Amazon yet...I just don't know with giving out credit card numbers online...

I would live to try it ....is everything always in a good condition when you receive it? 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished the bulk of my black friday shopping-from my own home. Cabelas had a new spotting scope half off I wanted, and I got a red dot site for one of my handguns (that item wasnt on the sale but it was cool) will be spending most of the rest of the day lobbing lead downrange at prairie dogs, and perhaps hitting wal-mart tonight to go through the movies.

Love the Cabelas store...have been there only one time while visiting  my daughter in Regina,they had some really good deals :)

oh, I love going to cabelas. unfortunatly, or actually in this case fortunatly-this was a online deal so theyre just shipping it to my home. :D

lol after reading your online shopping in Cabelas I looked at their website too, too bad they didn't have more women coats deals..

I'm in Canada and "Yes" they started the black Friday here too,first there were a few stores but now it's even the grocery stores,I wondered for many years where they got the term "Black Friday " ?

I'm not going anywhere ,my husband might get shoes from Marks Warehouse  and that's it,the deal are not really that good anyway!

the term black friday comes from it being the day when most retailers get out of the "red zone" and start finally turning a profit for the year.

Thanks,did you buy anything?

me? i didn't go anywhere near a store yesterday, and the only store i went to today was the grocery store so i could pick up a fogger for the storage shed.... gotta make sure when we pull out the christmas trees that there aren't any spiders making their home in them!

seriously though, i've committed to doing any and all holiday shopping at stores that were NOT open yesterday. that means walmart, target, and many many other places will not be getting any of my business for the next six weeks. 

it's a good thing i'm a fan of shopping small businesses, huh? 

I never heard of a fogger...does that kill spiders? Do you get spiders in your tree this time of the year?

We have our artificial tree for the last couple of years and I know it's not the same as a real tree it is easy and no mess to clean up:)

I don't know where I'm going to do my Christmas shopping..... :) I don't like crowded malls!!

yeah, a fogger is a no-mist spray (more like a smoke instead) that you set off and then leave in an enclosed area to kill any critters. we have two small artificial trees that we put in our front windows each year, and we noticed recently that there were some spider webs in the storage shed where the trees are kept. we just had the pest control guy out to spray the house two days ago, we didn't want to bring in any 'unwanted guests' from the shed into the house when the trees come in!

do your christmas shopping online. buy handmade stuff off sites like meylah or etsy! a lot of people depend on that income from the things they create. and you can shop for literally everyone! no matter what you want, you can find a handmade version!

What for kind of critters does it work for? 

I'm not yet a big online shopper,I don't really know if it's safe to give out credit cards online?

Do you still have your website online too? 

How are you feeling these days..are you back to your old self?

spiders, ants, bees, roaches, fleas, pretty much anything that moves. and yes! thanks, i'm definitely back to my old self! except for the scar covering my abdomen, it's almost like nothing ever happened!

i do still have a website where some of my jewelry is listed for sale, but i'm actually trying to sell all my supplies so i can turn my beading studio into a much needed guest room. now that me, my kids and grandkids are all on the same end of the country again, i need a place for them to sleep when they come. i'm not even sure why my storefront is still up, i don't really want to deal with filling any orders and shipping!

about shopping online... i can certainly understand your fear. but here's my perspective. i've been shopping online for a decade, and i've never had my bank account or credit card information compromised because of it. in the real world is another story, though. i can't count how many times i've had my information compromised because i used my debit  card inside target, or michaels, or half a dozen other stores. and one time, my debit card was physically stolen by someone who was at our house with a mutual friend, and the thief attempted to use it at a hardware store. (it wouldn't go through because there wasn't enough in the account, and the bank called me while the purchase was still being attempted.) we hear horror stories all the time about how credit cards can be swiped or scanned by unscrupulous employees at restaurants and gas stations (although those things have never happened to me or anyone i know). so to me, in my experience, the safest shopping i've ever done has always been online. but others may have different stories to tell.

most places online accept paypal though. you can set up a paypal account really easily, and then it will transfer funds either from a debit card or checking account when you want to buy something. anytime a purchase is made, you instantly get an email telling you about it, so you will know immediately if there's been any unauthorized activity. paypal won't share your bank or debit card information with anyone you do business with. amazon payments and google wallet all work pretty much the same way that paypal does. not every retailer will accept those, though. but if you're shopping handmade and small businesses, they usually do. in fact, many of them won't accept anything else.

there's another option. i don't know what bank you use, but call them and find out if they have a virtual credit card option. Bank of America has one (https://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/accounts-cards/shopsafe.go), as do citibank and discover. these generate single use temporary card numbers for shopping online. since they are single use, nobody else can ever use your account. it's awesome and it's safe. the drawback is that you have to make sure you don't use it for purchases where you'd later be required to present the card for confirmation (like concert tickets, or some restaurant deliveries).

for people who are really concerned about shopping safely online, i'd definitely recommend the virtual card option.

I didn't participate in "Black Friday" this year.  I did my shopping online . . . for a pair of work shoes at half price I found on Amazon. All the other "deals" I've seen through out the year for the most part. I also had to work Thursday night, so I slept through it for the most part.

I never bought anything on Amazon yet...I just don't know with giving out credit card numbers online...

I would live to try it ....is everything always in a good condition when you receive it? 

I've never had any issues with my orders being broken, etc. during shipment from Amazon. Their customer service is pretty decent too, as I've never had a problem returning anything either. (That only happened twice: once I got the wrong size shoes and shipping was free. The other time I screwed up and ordered the wrong power supply for a computer I was repairing - and paid the return shipping on that. Fair enough, since it wasn't their error.)

I haven't heard of any of the big internet retailers like Amazon being hacked as of yet (though I may be wrong on that.) Most of them, like Target, etc., have been retailers with stores and web sites. I would hope an internet based company would have their security together, but anyone can be hacked. I keep an eye on my bank statements and have alerts set up for any time my card is used (i.e. "card not present" alerts) for internet business. I got caught in the Target mess, but didn't have an issue getting the money back during the bank's investigation. Keep in mind that your card info can be stolen at a regular store too, so I don't see it as a problem. I also don't have a car, and so having things delivered makes a lot of sense for me.

On deliveries: If you have a house its best to be home for deliveries so they don't sit on the porch and possibly get stolen, etc. Some folks have stuff shipped to their office also. I live in an apartment building where they keep deliveries in the office until you pick them up.

Guest shiloh357

My bank offers a special "My Spending Card"  that works just like a debit or credit card where I can simply load the "my spending" card with how much I need and I can use that card online to buy things.  There is no pathway from that card to my savings or checking accounts and if the card gets hacked all the hacker's get is what I loaded on the card and nothing else.   It is a safe way to shop online.  I use it all the time.  Like you, I don't feel safe using a regular credit or debit card on line.  So this ia a really good and safe option.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

My bank offers a special "My Spending Card"  that works just like a debit or credit card where I can simply load the "my spending" card with how much I need and I can use that card online to buy things.  There is no pathway from that card to my savings or checking accounts and if the card gets hacked all the hacker's get is what I loaded on the card and nothing else.   It is a safe way to shop online.  I use it all the time.  Like you, I don't feel safe using a regular credit or debit card on line.  So this ia a really good and safe option.

That is a very good system! Wish we had it here!

oh yeah i forgot to answer the question about the deliveries. i've never had a problem really. i had a defective remote control that came with my most recent roku purchase from amazon, and they offered to ship a new one before i returned the defective one, so i could use the box of the new one (since i'd thrown away the old one.) they also did it on expedited 'next day' shipping.  not all stores that sell through amazon will have the same expedited return service, but that one did.

also got some pants for my mom that turned out not to fit... returning that was very simple and hassle free, also. they sent me a lable, i put it on the original package and taped it closed, and stuck it on the mailbox. the deducted the price of the return shipping from the amount refunded back to the debit card.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Our daughter and family live in the Denver, Colo area and went to the Walmart -- it was Packed.  Didn't get anything much, though.  Just went for the curiosity of it.  :-)

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,164
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

we came home from my sisters house yesterday and I filled the RV up at Walmart.....    the entire parking lot was full and people were driving around looking for parking places.....   and the lot holds six or seven hundred cars

I wonder if we have a bank in Canada who would do that...?