• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

You should ask God.

Absolutely, Paul.  That's always the best place to go first, right?!  :thumbsup:   I've been praying about it for a month but, since I couldn't stop thinking about it, I decided to take the next step and get some wise counsel from my brothers and sisters!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  823
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  10/13/1981

Love this testimony :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,207
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Keith,

Understand where you`re coming from as we`re on a farm & have to rely on our own water, firewood, vegies etc. Anyway I think a big block in our thinking we often get, is that our .....can save the world or has to be used for that missionary etc. Yes we give to causes, but know that it is by God`s Spirit that people come to God & that does not have to include paying for a church building & all the organisational paraphernalia that goes with that.

If that upgraded computer is a tool that is needed, then that is all that it is, a tool. We have big tools here, tractors, implements etc but they are all tools to do a job. See it in its right perspective & not as a drop to save the world. That is for God to do & us to do what He says in relation to the jobs at hand. 

Marilyn.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know if anyone else has noticed it, but it seems to me that God often tells us the answer before we come to our questions [of what we are supposed to do/see], and/or maybe it is the very reason we come to those lingering questions (because we cannot see the thing that we know we feel); and so maybe those questions are due to the fact that we feel something was said, but we do not know/see what it was that was said (because we weren't paying close enough attention or because we are not adept at seeing.)

My advice is for you to ask him for the understanding that you feel you need, and while waiting for that understanding, pay special attention to the fact that you are awaiting said understanding.

In the event that you do not find/see the answer before a problem is presented, you will have, at least, held on to the money and be able to use it then.

What is it that makes us seek? As if we know an answer is there? Maybe it's because we can feel the answer, but can't see it?

I don't know if that helps you, but I hope it does. Good luck. :)

Edited by Cog

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

You are so thoughtful,.  I admire that.  I know the single mom would appreciate it; I am a single mom myself.  I hope I don't offend, but you might want to ask her if she would like a computer first.  There may be issues that you aren't aware of.  I know when I first thought about getting a computer, I regretted it because my son became addicted, and it opened up too many problem areas for my kids. 

Just my 2 cents worth....

Dena

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

the fact shes your landlord may create some upset to...make sure she knows its a free gift no strings attached.

jmlusa - Thank you.  It's because of my testimony to God's faithfulness and provision that I'm even wondering about this at all.  Because I know Him in this way so intimately, I want to honor and glorify Him for it by continually increasing in faith in this area.  It's not even about the computer.  That's just the noun in the sentence.  It's just the object.  I want to concentrate on the verb - the action in the sentence. 

threeheartsn1 and patriot - Those are definitely good points to consider, thanks for bringing them up.  In my case, the manager and I (as the caretaker) work closely together and are good friends, so I know her needs.  She definitely needs a reliable computer for work purposes.  I already talked to her about the situation.  She knows and understands that it's not definite.  But, if it works out, she said she'd love to have my current computer.  She rarely uses them.  She needs it mostly for work and occasionally for looking something up.  Since she uses a computer even less than I do, certain softwares not being supported anymore would barely affect her.  (Even so, she knows she can come down the hall and use it anytime, even now.  As for her kid, he's two, so she's not concerned about him with a computer yet.)

Hi Keith,

Understand where you`re coming from as we`re on a farm & have to rely on our own water, firewood, vegies etc. Anyway I think a big block in our thinking we often get, is that our .....can save the world or has to be used for that missionary etc. Yes we give to causes, but know that it is by God`s Spirit that people come to God & that does not have to include paying for a church building & all the organisational paraphernalia that goes with that.

If that upgraded computer is a tool that is needed, then that is all that it is, a tool. We have big tools here, tractors, implements etc but they are all tools to do a job. See it in its right perspective & not as a drop to save the world. That is for God to do & us to do what He says in relation to the jobs at hand. 

Marilyn.

Thanks, Marilyn.  I always enjoy reading your posts.  They're so thoughtful and care is always taken to really consider the person you're responding to.  Just something I've noticed about you.  :)

I fully understand what you're saying.  I got over my legalistic, trying to be the Holy Ghost, Jr. to everyone phase.  I'm not under any condemnation about spending money on myself when it's warranted.  If I have a genuine need that can be met by simply buying what I need, I pray about it and, unless directed otherwise by the Holy Spirit, will go ahead and buy what I need with the understanding that I'm only the steward and the provision comes from God as the Giver of all good things. 

That's kind of the crux of the matter this time around.  My computer, as of right now, still works perfectly.  I don't have a single problem or issue with it.  It's from my conversations with others online, whenever upgrades come up, that I learned my computer may soon not be supported by them.  So, it's an anticipation of a problem that's eventually bound to come.  I wouldn't classify it as a "need" at this time.

But, like I said, I'm not worried about this in any way.  I know that when the time comes, it won't be a life or death matter!  I'll obey whatever I feel I'm prompted to do. 

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

I agree the money has always been yours to use. God has blessed you as you say, you bless others in so many ways through your physical ability as caretaker and through your testimony. The computer is your contact with Christians who can in turn bless you.

PS. Don't listen to those who tell you to build your own Mac...as a Mac user get a new one for yourself and enjoy God's blessing. There really is nothing like a MAC!!!

I don't know if anyone else has noticed it, but it seems to me that God often tells us the answer before we come to our questions [of what we are supposed to do/see], and/or maybe it is the very reason we come to those lingering questions (because we cannot see the thing that we know we feel); and so maybe those questions are due to the fact that we feel something was said, but we do not know/see what it was that was said (because we weren't paying close enough attention or because we are not adept at seeing.)

My advice is for you to ask him for the understanding that you feel you need, and while waiting for that understanding, pay special attention to the fact that you are awaiting said understanding.

In the event that you do not find/see the answer before a problem is presented, you will have, at least, held on to the money and be able to use it then.

What is it that makes us seek? As if we know an answer is there? Maybe it's because we can feel the answer, but can't see it?

I don't know if that helps you, but I hope it does. Good luck. :)

I understand what you're saying in the first paragraph, but I don't think that's the case with me, at least not this time around.  When my mind comes up with something and continual thinks about it, I'm used to putting that thing to prayer, leaving it with Him, and going away with His peace.  For some reason, this time, my brain isn't letting go of it, which is silly becuase it's not exactly a matter of urgency or great importance.  So, after awhile I decided to do the next thing and bring it up here to see what the family has to say.

As far as the situation itself is concerned, I know it's not wrong for me to do either thing - to give the money away or to buy the computer.  I'm not worried about that at all.  From my own experience, which doesn't mean it always has to happen this way, God responds when the action is needed. 

There's no guilt, obligation or reason as to why I would prefer giving the money away, other than as an act of worship and thankfulness.  I know God doesn't need my money.  But, the closer I grow to Him, and the more time I spend with Him, all I want to do is enjoy and glorify Him in every possible way!  If I buy a new computer, I'm sure it's perfectly fine!  But, I also see this as an opportunity to worship Him and grow in the fruits of the Spirit by denying my flesh (since it's not an absolute necessity). 

Either way, I won't be hasty in my decision.