• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

One time God answered me, and said, "So you will lead a disciplined life."  That was about 4 or 5 months ago, and I really am not quite sure what that exactly means, believe it or not.  Since I don't work outside the home, have been for quite a few years, being 'undisciplined', I guess, and not even reading the Word much, choosing to do other things over reading His Word, and often.  

I got a book in the mail about spiritual disciplines, because I am still not sure excactly what that entails, but after looking thru it briefly, I don't think I like it.  I suppose I should read it anyway, tho I was wondering if anybody had good recomendations of any they really liked. 

But not just regarding spiritual disciplines, I am curious to know what a disciplined life in general looks like.  I suppose it varies for everyone, but surely there has to be some general advice that would pertain to everyone?  I guess my life was pretty much at whim before.  Doing as I pleased. (couldnt work outside the home by the way, tho I would have much preffered that).  I do have a work ethic, and did a good job working 'out there'. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I am a lot like you. But I do prioritize. God is first in my life, my husband is second, and chores are third. So I sit here typing with my bible on my lap and several Bible programs on my pad as well. I pray throughout the day and join with my hubby in prayer every evening. Usually we attend to chores, shopping and all in the afternoon. It is a rough guide and a flexible one. But it gives some order to our lives. We are retired, by the way.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

Make a schedule and stock to it.  Put things on the schedule , everything from chores, to quiet time with God

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,200
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Pamelasv,

Being `disciplined,`(as God said) is I believe about learning from God. (a disciple - a learner, one being taught.) And having been a teacher I realise that we all learn in different ways. Some learn through the practical, some through artistic means & others through the written word & some through long explanations & others just need the `bottom line.`

When we are led by God into a `disciplined life` He desires to teach us of Himself - His ways, His moulding us in our character etc.

Yes I do see that daily life is important, attending to everyday matters is also being `disciplined.` However I do believe it is really about learning to `hear` the Holy Spirit for yourself. When I became serious to learn about God & be in the Holy Spirit`s school, as it were I got a large note book & would write scriptures, thoughts etc etc & over time I learnt things & as I changed inside then the outside changed as well. God always works with us on the inside. He will give you special scriptures & thoughts that are real treasures to you. 

It is a real adventure, go for it Pamela.

Blessings, Marilyn.

Edited by Marilyn C

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I don't really like schedules but I will make a to-do list.  My goal is to do all or most of these.  I will put them in order of importance to me and work my way down.

I think discipline is just sticking to your guns' you know?  Do your best to do what you have to do.  Remember your love for God in everything you do.  Tell your self "im not going to do that, I love god more" if it refers to living a self controlled life.

Anyways peace and love