• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

Is this verse speaking of praying in tongues?

And is there anyone with a lot of experience with speaking in tongues that would be willing to chat through email because I have a lot of questions about it?

I've been speaking in tongues for 11 years now, what questions do you have?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

So not to be confused, speaking in tongues in church, to the body, is the tongues that need an reputation.  Praying in tongues does not.  1 Corinthians 14, the whole chapter, explains this pretty nicely.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

No it is not related to tongues at all.  The verse itself tells you that this praying includes "ALL prayer", "supplication", "all perservance", and intercession ("supplication for ALL saints").

To pray "in the Spirit" is to pray in the power of the Holy Spirit, and not in the power of the flesh -- it is unselfish and sacrificial prayer.  It also means to allow the Holy Spirit to lead in the matter of who and what to pray for.  It also means to let the Holy Spirit Himself pray in and through us when we do not know exactly how to pray (Rom 8:26,27).

As to praying in tongues, since tongues are not for all Christians (1 Cor 12:30) and tongues would clearly cease (1 Cor 13:8), we can safely disregard that interpretation.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

To each their own.I will not debate tongues.

LOL. This is awesome because it's true.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  235
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1973

And is there anyone with a lot of experience with speaking in tongues that would be willing to chat through email because I have a lot of questions about it?

Eph 6:18 has nothing to do with with speaking in tongues - as the context clearly demonstrates.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

So whenever anyone goes to pray they automatically are praying according to the will of God and that is what praying in the Spirit means?

No amount of bleach is going to whitewash what the Bible is actually saying

Praying in your native tongue IN the Spirit is absolutely possible but only AFTER you have ascertained the will of God ACCORDING to the Holy Spirit who leads

us into all truth...that is, all the revealed truth of God expressed in the written word.

The Holy Spirit enlightens our minds and our understanding and leads us according to the will of God.  Some people think that those who speak or pray

in tongues in their private life, according to the biblical instructions, have given themselves over to demons or are just blabbering.  I know both sides of

the coin as I was raised in a church where this subject was forbidden but as it is in the Bible, I thought it would be a great idea to ask God to be filled

with His Spirit...and He did so.

This is not about salvation...it is about the spiritual gifts.  

Those who do not believe in the validity of the gifts for whatever reason as being applicable to the current age, seem quick to respond in the negative .

I would like to personally assure you that God will not force this gift on you nor should anyone else.

Guest shiloh357

Praying in the Spirit and the gift of tongues are not the same thing.    Speaking in tongues was a gift that God gave to people as He willed.   Praying in the Spirit is something for all believers at all times.  Furthermore, Eph. 6:18 defines what praying in the Spirit means.   It isn't talking about the gift of tongues.  That doesn't even fit the context.  

"In the Spirit" refers to us praying in the power or in accordance and with the aid the Holy Spirit (Rom. 8:26) and to do so with all kinds of prayer, which are mentioned in that verse including intercession and suppiction.  That is speaking to everyone.  The gift of tongues would only occur when God decided that it be used.  It was not something that a person could do at will.  

The gift of tongues was not a gift that God gave to every person. None of the gifts were given to each person, but only to certain people at certain times.  Much of what is being passed off today as a manifestation of that gift in the Charismatic movement is not a biblical manifestation of that gift. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

If you speak in tongues, then you also pray in tongues and you do not need to pray in tongues to pray according the will of God

However, I am sure this will always be debated as long as there are those who insist the gifts are no longer in operation, so no surprises there

I well aware of abuse but IMO, but that is now a common thing with regards to just about anything biblical...including salvation and how people

interpret it...ie:  no noe goes to hell

The gift of tongues would only occur when God decided that it be used.  It was not something that a person could do at will.  

I guess that is of particular reference to the Day of Pentecost, but that is not really how it works.   In prayer, one can pray in tongues

and I often have and while it does not happen every time, I often have the impression in my mind of what I am praying for...or I will

be shown something which when it occurs, I will be equipped to handle it as I have been shown it before hand

The Holy Spirit does not force anyone to ask for the gifts but it certainly is biblical to ask.  In fact, Paul instructs us to desire them...

Again, is there abuse?  You betcha.....but I would not want to walk through this world without the benefit of being able to speak in tongues

as I have on many occasions and have received insight on situations I know I would not have understood without that gift in operation.

Doubters gotta doubt I suppose...

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

Where does the Bible specifically talk about praying in tongues? 

Praying in tongues is a misapplication of 1 Cor 14:14-19, where Paul is actually rebuking the Corinthians for praying in tongues.  Paul says that he will pray with the spirit (not in the Spirit as in Eph 6:18) AND ALSO pray with the understanding (regular prayer). 

Evidently this was an ABUSE of the genuine gift of tongues (which has ceased - 1 Cor 13:8-10).  Paul went on to chide the Corinthians that they were being childish about tongues (v 20) and that he would rather speak 5 intelligible words of prophecy than 10,000 words in tongues (vv18,19).  In any event, tongues has nothing to do with Eph 6:18.