• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/28/1989

Is this verse speaking of praying in tongues?

And is there anyone with a lot of experience with speaking in tongues that would be willing to chat through email because I have a lot of questions about it?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

And is there anyone with a lot of experience with speaking in tongues that would be willing to chat through email because I have a lot of questions about it?

Yes,the passage is about praying in tongues.I am not a believer in tongues so I do not know if you want to talk to me about it.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/28/1989

Why are you not a believer in tongues if you don't mind me asking? Is there anything else you don't believe that is written of in the Bible? No offense at all I'm really just curious!

1 Corinthians 13:8  Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.

1 Corinthians 14:6  But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you unless I speak to you either by revelation, by knowledge, by prophesying, or by teaching?

The Bible did not say that Jesus spoke in tongues.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Why are you not a believer in tongues if you don't mind me asking? Is there anything else you don't believe that is written of in the Bible? No offense at all I'm really just curious!

The gifts of the spirit are most certainly valid today.  

People who profess that they do not believe so, ALWAYS quote I Corinthians 13:8

1.  Has knowledge passed away?  well of course not so why state speaking in tongues has?

2.  Are we living in perfection?  Of course not, so why state speaking in tongues has passed away?

3. There are still prophecies due to be fulfilled, so why state the gifts have all stopped?

The only point being made in I Cor. 13:8 is that the love of God will never pass away even when we don't need gifts or prophecy or more knowledge because

we will live in heaven with Him forever

The Bible did not say that Jesus spoke in tongues.

This has less then nothing to do with offering evidence that the gifts have stopped.

The book of Acts records the 120 followers of Jesus, including the disciples, gathered in an upper room waiting for the gift Jesus had promised.  What was that gift?

The Holy Spirit.  So, Jesus did not speak in tongues that we know of, because He had to be crucified, raised from the dead and then ascend back to heaven in order

for God to send the Holy Spirit.

We need to be careful we do need grieve the Holy Spirit.   

Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.

I Cor 14

Unfortuneately, as with so many things, there is abuse and some churches teach you must speak in tongues in order to be saves but the Bible says

no such thing.

There have been a number of threads wherein this topic has been hotly discussed and one in particular.

Therefore, and because I don't see any purpose in disagreeing with scripture, I'm not going to debate the issue with anyone who

believes the gifts have ceased or that we are living in perfection.

I am not judging anyone...that is just my stand on the issue.  I grew up in a church where it was taught that speaking in tongues was of the devil...

some churches even go that far.  However, my own search for truth on the issue led me into God's presence and He did fill me with His Spirit

and I do speak in tongues and I do not participate in disrupting services or abuse of the gift or any other gift God may see to give me.

The gifts are for the building up of the body...believers...speaking in tongues is both a sign for unbelievers and for the Christians personal

prayer life.  Some have the gift of interpretation.  Paul did say he would rather speak 5 words understood in a service then speak many

that were not understood.  That, is not an indication to stop all speaking in tongues.  If that were so, Paul would have said so...rather he

states 'don't forbid speaking in tongues'

I am not of the belief that everyone should seek this gift...I would lean more to making sure your walk with God is in order and that you

are living for Him before being asked to be filled with the Holy Spirit.  

Maybe someone can find that long thread a post a link...I would, but the search feature does not seem to be working for me at the moment

To each their own.I will not debate tongues.

LOL!

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

Many believe it is praying in tongues, personally I would say I always pray in the Spirit, but my language is consistent.  No, I have no experience with tongues myself, although I have heard others speak in tongues, no clue what they were saying though.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

I do not even know what speaking in tongues means. I thought it was a language that everybody could understand and that if anybody hears it, they hear it in their own language. Otherwise, what's the point of it? God understands our hearts and he understands all languages, so why would anybody need to speak in tongues?