missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

What is anointing and how is it being used in the Church today?What is the purpose?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

What is anointing and how is it being used in the Church today?What is the purpose?

According to the New Testament, every believer receives the "unction" or anointing with the Holy Spirit, which enables one to discern and understand ALL spiritual truth (1 Jn 2:20,27):

But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Today this word "anointing" is used is other ways, but Scripture is very clear about what it really is.  This is why it is so important to know what Scripture reveals, and how words are used in Scripture.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  358
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

there was anointing in the Old Testament as well, However James 5 talks about anointing the sick with oil, the oil represents the Holy Spirit anointing

Ex 29:7

7 Then shalt thou take the anointing oil, and pour it upon his head, and anoint him.

KJV

Webster 1828

ANOINT', verb transitive [Latin ungo.]

1. To pour oil upon; to smear or rub over with oil or unctuous substances; also to spread over, as oil. We say, the man anoints another, or the oil anoints him.

2. To consecrate by unction, or the use of oil.

Thou shalt anoint the altar, and sanctify it. Exodus 29:7.

3. To smear or daub.

He anointed the eyes of the blind man with clay. John 9:6.

4. To prepare, in allusion to the consecrating use of oil.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Being anointed is to be chosen or appointed to a position for a purpose and is biblically illustrated by the sign of pouring oil on the one being anointed.

I am not sure of the modern church uses of anointing.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Anointing of David was done with a special oil and it was poured on his head and ran down his beard....that was when he was chosen as king. Elders used to anoint the sick with oil. Don't think in many churches it is done today but Israel has the sacred oil now does it not?

Guest shiloh357

Put simply,  an anointing is special touch for a specific purpose.     An anointing is God's enabling of you to perform a specific ministry He wants you to do.   God anoints some to preach, some to sing, some to teach, etc.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Put simply,  an anointing is special touch for a specific purpose.     An anointing is God's enabling of you to perform a specific ministry He wants you to do.   God anoints some to preach, some to sing, some to teach, etc.

That is a pretty good answer. Surprising from one that does not under stand the "right" WOF teachers. very surprising.

Being anointed is to be chosen or appointed to a position for a purpose and is biblically illustrated by the sign of pouring oil on the one being anointed.

That needs some Work Gary.

I tell the rest what the Anointing is.

First, ever single believe has the Holy Spirit. I'll let the confusion of being Baptisted in the Holy Spirit as a power to witness with signs out of this. 

Joh_16:8  And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment

As a believer, we have Christ in us or Christ (The anointed one and His anointing on us) Christ means Anointed, or His Anointing. When we talk to folks, if we trust in that power on us, the Holy Spirit can deal with the heart of a person, and give us the right words to say. 

How often have you talked to someone, and just had a scripture come up, or just knew what the real cause of someone's issue where, even if they did not see the root of the problem? That is the Witness with us to show Jesus.

Every believer has some tangible power on them. It can be increased, or it can be set to almost zero.This power extends past our ability to reach hearts, and works with us and helps us. 

Luk 8:46  And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me

The anointing on us, Like Jesus can be so strong as to effect even the cloths we wear. Paul for example had a handkerchief that held the anointing that was on him. Peter's shadow went by people and they were healed. It was not his shadow doing the healing, but his close proximity. 

In Jesus case, many were touching him and bumping into him, but one person in the crowd had faith, and came expecting something saying, If I could just touch his rob, I will be healed. The women with the issue of Blood through faith, connected to the anointing that was on Jesus. 

How to operate and increase the anointing:

Gal_3:5  He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith

The Holy Spirit operates in line with the Word of God, and hearing of faith. If your telling folks God is mysterious, and you just never know, there is not a lot of faith in that, so you would not expect any results. It was faith that connected to the anointing on Jesus and the women revived that power to heal her. 

Eph_3:17  That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, 

Staying rooted and grounded in love, and having that constant knowing that you have the power of God in you. Christ in your own heart, Or the Holy Spirit the power of the anointed one in your spirit. Believing your anointed, gives confidence in God's ability in you. 

Eph 5:18  And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Eph 5:19  Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 

Saying to yourself Psalms, confessing scriptures to yourself, hymns of songs you know, singing in the Spirit (spirit) tongues and staying focused on the Lord and not thinking about a subway sandwich all day can increase the anointing. 

Trusting in the Anointing to witness and help others.

1Co_2:4  And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power

Often times believers just give scriptures they know, and try to help people through their own wisdom, being ignorant that we should be hearing the Holy Spirit, telling us about the person and telling the person in power and demonstration of that power. It's easy to tell carnal help, with someone who is anointed in power to help. Carnal help often gives worldly advice with some scriptures thrown in.We can seek to do better and trust in the Holy Spirit in our life to be that witness. Not based on our own knowledge, but based on the direction and leading of the Holy Spirit and what he gives us to share.

Special anointing for office callings and gifts:

Eph_4:11  And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 

A person anointed to be a teacher is not the same type of anointing or gift that a Prophet or Pastor would have. A Pastor not only is gifted in giving messages in power for his people, but there is also a mighty anointing to get direction for his church, keep the bills paid, and run the adminastrative part of His Church the Lord gave him. The Pastor's anointing is constantly on and covers many things to run a church.

A teacher's anointing would be "ON" when He/She gets up to teach. A teacher would not be equipped to handle a whole church or do the other task a Pastor would have to do. 

There are also anointing to do other things besides just speaking positions. To be a doctor, a lawyer, to serve God as a school principle. Everyone is called to do something, and there is ability to do those things.

Trying to do good things in a area your not called to do, or have the anointing to do messes things up really bad, and you see this all the time. It causes the person frustration, and they are confused why things are not working like they should. If you go a couple years of no growth, and it's one mess after another, out of money, then it's time to check if your really in the right position and not trying to fill a position God never called you to do. 

Just because it seems like a good scriptural idea, is no indication its a good scriptural idea for you. 

Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 
(Eph 5:17-19)

you could write a book on this, who likes to read book length material on the forums?

Be blessed. Shiloah gave a great and short answer. 

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Put simply, an anointing is special touch for a specific purpose. An anointing is God's enabling of you to perform a specific ministry He wants you to do. God anoints some to preach, some to sing, some to teach, etc.

That is a pretty good answer. Surprising from one that does not under stand the "right" WOF teachers. very surprising.

That needs some Work Gary.

I tell the rest what the Anointing is.

First, ever single believe has the Holy Spirit. I'll let the confusion of being Baptisted in the Holy Spirit as a power to witness with signs out of this.

Joh_16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

As a believer, we have Christ in us or Christ (The anointed one and His anointing on us) Christ means Anointed, or His Anointing. When we talk to folks, if we trust in that power on us, the Holy Spirit can deal with the heart of a person, and give us the right words to say.

How often have you talked to someone, and just had a scripture come up, or just knew what the real cause of someone's issue where, even if they did not see the root of the problem? That is the Witness with us to show Jesus.

Every believer has some tangible power on them. It can be increased, or it can be set to almost zero.This power extends past our ability to reach hearts, and works with us and helps us.

Luk 8:46 And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me.

The anointing on us, Like Jesus can be so strong as to effect even the cloths we wear. Paul for example had a handkerchief that held the anointing that was on him. Peter's shadow went by people and they were healed. It was not his shadow doing the healing, but his close proximity.

In Jesus case, many were touching him and bumping into him, but one person in the crowd had faith, and came expecting something saying, If I could just touch his rob, I will be healed. The women with the issue of Blood through faith, connected to the anointing that was on Jesus.

How to operate and increase the anointing:

Gal_3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

The Holy Spirit operates in line with the Word of God, and hearing of faith. If your telling folks God is mysterious, and you just never know, there is not a lot of faith in that, so you would not expect any results. It was faith that connected to the anointing on Jesus and the women revived that power to heal her.

Eph_3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

Staying rooted and grounded in love, and having that constant knowing that you have the power of God in you. Christ in your own heart, Or the Holy Spirit the power of the anointed one in your spirit. Believing your anointed, gives confidence in God's ability in you.

Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

Eph 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Saying to yourself Psalms, confessing scriptures to yourself, hymns of songs you know, singing in the Spirit (spirit) tongues and staying focused on the Lord and not thinking about a subway sandwich all day can increase the anointing.

Trusting in the Anointing to witness and help others.

1Co_2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power

Often times believers just give scriptures they know, and try to help people through their own wisdom, being ignorant that we should be hearing the Holy Spirit, telling us about the person and telling the person in power and demonstration of that power. It's easy to tell carnal help, with someone who is anointed in power to help. Carnal help often gives worldly advice with some scriptures thrown in.We can seek to do better and trust in the Holy Spirit in our life to be that witness. Not based on our own knowledge, but based on the direction and leading of the Holy Spirit and what he gives us to share.

Special anointing for office callings and gifts:

Eph_4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

A person anointed to be a teacher is not the same type of anointing or gift that a Prophet or Pastor would have. A Pastor not only is gifted in giving messages in power for his people, but there is also a mighty anointing to get direction for his church, keep the bills paid, and run the adminastrative part of His Church the Lord gave him. The Pastor's anointing is constantly on and covers many things to run a church.

A teacher's anointing would be "ON" when He/She gets up to teach. A teacher would not be equipped to handle a whole church or do the other task a Pastor would have to do.

There are also anointing to do other things besides just speaking positions. To be a doctor, a lawyer, to serve God as a school principle. Everyone is called to do something, and there is ability to do those things.

Trying to do good things in a area your not called to do, or have the anointing to do messes things up really bad, and you see this all the time. It causes the person frustration, and they are confused why things are not working like they should. If you go a couple years of no growth, and it's one mess after another, out of money, then it's time to check if your really in the right position and not trying to fill a position God never called you to do.

Just because it seems like a good scriptural idea, is no indication its a good scriptural idea for you.

Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

(Eph 5:17-19)

you could write a book on this, who likes to read book length material on the forums?

Be blessed. Shiloah gave a great and short answer.

You say a lot but what I would like to see is one who actually does what is written and and demonstrates in Spirit and in Power. Anyone can tell someone else they approve/disapprove of what they say or study the material and put out a lengthy post but I am wanting badly to find people who can demonstrate faith in action.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Actually,,,,,gdemoss,I appreciate your reply,,,,,it sounds like you are in agreement with our Brother Shiloh & have just worded it in a different way,,,,,,,we are ,after all,,,,,here to reason together,encourage & extol one another and LEARN together..............we are not here to take quizzes,get scored,approved or disapproved by any others,..........

By Faith ,,,,,,Welcome to Worthy,this is not a forum that allows anyone to "teach",,,,could you just imagine what we would see if it were permitted?Thank you for sharing with us but please be mindful of 'how" you post as to not come off as though you are "teaching"     

I was taught,as I am sure many of us were,,,,,if we have nothing nice to say then it is better to say nothing at all,your disapproval of gdemoss definition ,imo,is out of order and uncalled for,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,God Bless you & in all things,,,,to God be the Glory!              With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

You say a lot but what I would like to see is one who actually does what is written and and demonstrates in Spirit and in Power. Anyone can tell someone else they approve/disapprove of what they say or study the material and put out a lengthy post but I am wanting badly to find people who can demonstrate faith in action.

Gary, have you ever been talking with someone, then something inside you just came up. You suddenly knew the right thing to say at that right time. When you said it, it effected the person, they saw something they could not see before, it became clear to them the cause of something or gave clear direction to them. 

It came up to you through a Word of Knowledge or Word of Wisdom. The Holy Spirit helped you according to your faith and anointing on you. 

Have you ever had someone just come up and ask if your a Christian without saying anything? 

What they are picking up is that tangible power of the Holy Spirit on you and coming out from you. 

being believers we get use to the presence of God on our life, don't notice a thing. Others will. 

So go back, examine your own Life, and recall those times you knew God was involved. 

It's not good enough we just speak the Word, the power and help from the Holy Spirit has to also be there else we won't get through to anyone. It's there in some degree.

If you want to see this in action, then the best answer is go ask God to lead you to the place to grow in understanding and faith. Who the Lord tells you to follow and listen to is the one that has the example you need for your own ministry. You certainly just don't want to walk into any Pentecostal church to see them hanging off the rafters and rolling all over the floor. That might be a good example of crazy, but might not a real good example of what your seeking. Ask God, examine churches and the one that seems right will just become real to you. Don't go there to judge, just go to listen. 

Heb_6:12  That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises. 

As a new believer years ago, I had an example of men who operated in the gifts. One guy came to me and said, the Lord told me to tell you this, and it was exactly what I was praying about and He knew things I never told anyone. I followed what he told me and God did some awesome things in that situation. I never had that happen to me, and it really impacted me. I realized God wants to help people more than what we think He does. In everything. 

I wanted to be able to do that for others, Had no clue on where to get started though, I just wanted that operating in my life. I also wanted to speak in tongues, no idea how that was going to work out either. 

What I did is start paying close attention to the men I was with, and grabbing all I could for those that "Claimed" to operate in the power of God. 

years later, the Lord has used me in some amazing things, and still learning. 

We are the body of Jesus Gary, we are connected to the Head. What Jesus did on earth, He would like the place in us to continue what He did. If we are decreased to where Jesus has full say in all we do, then you will see some amazing things.

If you really seek Gary, You are promised that you will find. It may seem small at first, may not seem much, but keep walking in the direction the Lord has you and down the road you will look back and think what an amazing God we have. 

Be blessed.