IGNORED

Duggar family

Guest LadyC

well i can't answer that one. i personally believe that all reality shows stink, (except medical and/or forensic type shows) and that ones that involve families exploit the children. but since they chose that road to fame and fortune, to have exposed this very private family problem on national television would have been the worst kind of exploitation, don't you think?

Guest LadyC

for those who believe that this was all covered up... for those who believe he faced no consequences... i would like to encourage you all to read the statement from the parents, from josh himself, and from his wife, located here: https://www.facebook.com/duggarfamilyofficial/posts/653931128073873

there was no coverup. josh was the one who confessed his actions to his parents, who called the police and reported it. he also underwent counseling. two years before he ever even asked his wife to marry him, he invited them to the family home and told her and her parents of what he'd done twelve years earlier.

seriously, the crucifixion needs to stop. God has not appointed us judge and jury.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

They didn't have to do anything.  Josh should have come clean, he did not tell the FRC about it.  The sisters didn't need to be brought into it, juvenile records are sealed, there didn't need to be a witch hunt.  If you have something official stating he was 14 or 15 then what does that change exactly?  I am not saying the guy doesn't deserve grace and forgiveness, but I am not going to excuse something this serious either.  I hope the money was worth it, because what has happened from not being upfront, they have to relive it again.  How thoughtful is that for the victims?  It just doesn't appear to me that anyone was thinking at all.

Guest LadyC

statements from the family and from news sources all document the events at 12 years ago when he was caught. he's 27 now. that puts him at 15.... 14 depending on whether it happened before or after his birthday.

do you have any source for the statement that he had not disclosed this to the FRC? or is that an assumption based on the fact that he resigned once this got out to the media? because the fact that he worked for them does NOT mean they didn't know of the event prior. it just means that if they did, they saw it for what it was... a wrong he committed as a child.

as for the girls, you're right. whoever dug this up and made it public didn't give a hoot about the victims and how this being brought back up would affect them. they were thinking one thing... discredit a conservative voice and do as much damage to christianity as they can.

and it worked. they've even got christians turning against their own.

Guest LadyC

been looking to see if i could find info anywhere that would indicate that the FRC had never been told. it's kinda hard to determine that from their own statement on the main page of their website. but nothing in their statement indicates that they were blindsided by this. only that they agree that since it has become public knowledge, that he'd be unable to do his job effectively.

FRC Statement on Josh Duggar Resignation

Washington, D.C. - Family Research Council President Tony Perkins released the following statement regarding the resignation of Josh Duggar:

"Today Josh Duggar made the decision to resign his position as a result of previously unknown information becoming public concerning events that occurred during his teenage years.

"Josh believes that the situation will make it difficult for him to be effective in his current work.  We believe this is the best decision for Josh and his family at this time.  We will be praying for everyone involved," concluded Perkins.

Guest Butero

According to every story I have heard, he was 14 at the time this occurred, which is a child.  There is not a single story that came out saying he was 17.  Wingnut, you are asking for someone to show he was 14.  How about you providing proof he was 17?  I would look at a 17 year old different than a 14 year old, but he wasn't 17.  The way I see it, if you are going to claim a 14 year old is an adult, then would you also say that the age of consent should be lowered to 14?  This is a child.  As long as I can remember, young people played doctor, played house, etc., because they were curious.  Again, what he did was wrong, but he was still a child.  What were the parents supposed to do?  Do you honestly think the parents should have taken him to the police?  I can tell you right now I wouldn't have.  I don't know if I would have done things exactly as the Dugger family did, but I have no way to know what I would do faced with the same situation. 

I don't look at the Dugger family as being the ones at fault here for whatever anyone is having to re-live.  I blame those who felt some reason to "expose" them.  I don't think the Dugger family needed to make this public, ever.  It was a minor that was involved.  I hate that it happened, but they dealt with it as they thought best at the time.  All you are doing Wingnut is making judgments about the family making the decision to be on tv, how they dealt with a personal family matter, and now blaming them for the current scandal because they weren't public with their dirty laundry at the time.  I think that the parents have done an exceptional job, considering how many kids they are raising, and I doubt that there are too many parents with large families that don't have issues arise.  I certainly am not going to blame the parents for things like this.  We have a member here at wb that has stated that she has several kids, and one of them is just mean.  The rest are all good kids, raised by the same parents, but one is just bad.  Am I going to blame the parents?  Of course not.  Am I going to say they should have raised their kids different?  No.  This is a witch hunt against a good family, and I stand with the Duggers, including their decision to do a reality tv show.  I am also defending Josh in that it appears he got his heart right and is serving the Lord today. 

Guest Butero

I want to ask you something Davida.  Should the age of consent be lowered to 14?  After all, if he is to be looked at as an adult and fully responsible for his behavior, then why not look at it like a 14 year old is old enough to say yes or no when it comes to having sex with someone over 18?  This is either a child or it is not.  It is either a minor or it is not.  I stand with the Dugger family. 

Why did they do a reality tv show?  I can think of a couple of reasons.  I would imagine money is one of them, but so what?  Once again, someone is judging others.  Why is this greed?  Is it greed when we do other forms of work to make money?  Why does this have to be greed?  I would suggest it was a way of providing for the large family.  Another reason for doing the show was to be a light and represent God.  How would they know one of their children would do something like that?  They couldn't possibly know.  They are supposed to be psychic and just know it would happen? 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

I think Satan is smiling right now. There is a huge fire storm about this on Facebook. People are bashing Christianity left and right. I have never seen it this bad before.

What Josh did was terrible and wrong and I pray for those girls and for everyone involved. I also pray that there was true repentance. The Lord forgives all sins great and small... as long as he really did come to Christ and become born again.

Guest Butero

We have seen this before.  We saw it when tv evangelists were found to have done something wrong, and we are seeing it here.  The thing that bothers me most is the church piling on when these things happen.  We don't need to defend sin, but we need to stand with our own people.  We need to remind everyone that even Christians are human beings with weaknesses.  We need to stop throwing everyone overboard at the first sign of trouble.  To this day, I don't go around bashing Jimmy Swaggart.  Why?  Because I realize that he is a human being with flaws.  The same devil that played on him can play on us in our areas of weakness.  I don't know what is going on at facebook over this situation, but I know from past experience they are always bashing Christians and conservatives.  I have gotten into some heated arguments with unbelievers there, that got so mean, I decided to stop hanging out there so I wouldn't wind up sinning trying to defend the faith.  I would just tell them off and exactly what I thought of them, and it just got where I had to say enough is enough.  They are not worth my time, but I will tell you right now if I did encounter those kind of people, I would stand up for Christianity, even with it's less than perfect people, over the atheists and haters of religion. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  128
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/14/1958

The effort to downplay the seriousness of this guy molesting his sisters and another girl astonishes me.  These women will likely suffer lifetime scars because of these incestuous intrusions.  I cannot believe that this is so cavalierly dismissed.  This isn't playing doctor.

There was something profoundly wrong here, and the family chose to be mum and and continue to ride the reality gravy train.  Sow the wind and reap the whirlwind.  I pity most those poor girls (women), who now have to be face to face with this garbage.