Bible Question on Job

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  212
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,691
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1

After suffering sudden loss, Job suffered chronic illness. What are the differences and similarities between loss and illness in terms of the temptation to doubt God's goodness.

I been stumped for days on this question. I would really appreciate input on this please.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Days Won:  20

Whether it is loss of any kind or illness (loss of health), the bottom line is suffering, or intense suffering.  And that can certainly lead one to question the goodness of God.  Job's wife went through that, and even Job wondered why he had been allowed to be born.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  212
  • Content Count:  1,691
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1

I could see how the difference could be being upset you didn't have time to say goodbye or vs not understanding why someone is battling an illness. It would be tempting to see these as punishments from God vs seeing that He is good in all things.

is that a difference?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  358
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

well one can lose all their riches and say well I am still blessed I have my family and my health. but Job suffered all, his children died, his riches were taken and good health was gone.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,289
  • Content Per Day:  3.31
  • Days Won:  30

Then Job had 3 friends who came to him and accused him of wrongdoing when he was at his lowest, much less his wife who told him to just curse God and die! Only one person spoke up on God's behalf, trusting Him. Finally God answered Job and said, who are you to question your Creator? So Job repented.

So what hurts worse. Losing, possessions, or family, or health, or being wrongly accused by friends? I know people who had endured terrible physical abuse and pain who claim that verbal abuse is worse. But that doesn't answer your question.

Having lost all our possessions in a fire, I can say that family and good friends helped us tremendously. The shock of sudden loss is terrible. Loss of family is worse than things, especially the loss of a spouse, or worse, children. Living with severe pain is probably worse than the others because you cant even think straight. You are nausous from pain and can't eat. You just try to survive and endure each minute.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,996
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.67
  • Days Won:  226

God gave Satan permission to sift Job and to test him.I agree with Ezra.They are both suffering.At the end he was richly blessed.

Guest shiloh357

That's the ultimate test of faith.   Can you, or will you continue to love and trust God even when your entire world falls apart?   When it seems like everything is gong wrong, life takes you in an unexpected direction, and God doesn't appear to be intervening, will you abandon him, or continue to trust him?

Guest Butero

Job continued to trust God after witnessing the destruction of his family and possessions, so the devil had to come up with something else to accuse him of to God.  The thinking here was that Job could continue to trust God with the destruction of others and loss of property, but if Job was afflicted in his flesh, that would be too much and he would turn on God.  Each person is different in how they react to tragedy.  One person may endure one type of thing better than another.  Job had to endure evil from nearly every corner in order to prove he would trust God unconditionally. 

And Satan answered the LORD, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life.  But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face.  Job 2:4,5

He is telling God that sure, Job still trusts you even after all that has happened to his family and possessions, but that is because he is in good health.  Touch him there, and he will curse you to your face.  Of course, we know how that turned out. 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  94
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I could see how the difference could be being upset you didn't have time to say goodbye or vs not understanding why someone is battling an illness. It would be tempting to see these as punishments from God vs seeing that He is good in all things.

is that a difference?

Well, Job gave up. Job was certainly no David, that is clear. 

Why died I not from the womb? why did I not give up the ghost when I came out of the belly? 
(Job 3:11)

Despite all the blessings on Job's life, Job suddenly discounted all of them once all of them were gone. 

Job never asked God for help, instead, Job just blamed God the whole time.

Job 6:9  Even that it would please God to destroy me; that he would let loose his hand, and cut me off! 

Whom, though I were righteous, yet would I not answer, but I would make supplication to my judge. If I had called, and he had answered me; yet would I not believe that he had hearkened unto my voice. For he breaketh me with a tempest, and multiplieth my wounds without cause
(Job 9:15-17)

Here Job keeps running on, does not expect God to even hear him, and God was the one that harmed him and it was without cause. In other Words, God did this to Job unjustly. 

I could go through the whole book, but you get the point. Job fell apart, blamed God, and accused God of harming him for no good reason at all. 

What Job did not understand is that God said hurting Job was without cause also. God was on Job's side the whole time. 

And the Lord said to the Satan, Have you taken note of my servant Job, for there is no one like him on the earth, a man without sin and upright, fearing God and keeping himself far from evil? and he still keeps his righteousness, though you have been moving me to send destruction on him without cause
(Job 2:3)

Satan kept telling God to harm Job, God said hurting Job is without cause, there is no purpose in it. It was Satan that had the place, It was Satan lying and trying to manipulate God as is his custom and there is not truth in the devil (John 8:44) 

Guest Teditis

After suffering sudden loss, Job suffered chronic illness. What are the differences and similarities between loss and illness in terms of the temptation to doubt God's goodness.

I been stumped for days on this question. I would really appreciate input on this please.

Is this a study question on a test or something, can you phrase exactly how they phrased it?