IGNORED

When we read the bible, do we believe in Faith?

Wrldtraveller

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

We are to consider the following when reading the Bible (period):

2 Peter 1:20–21 (AV)

20Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

21For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Realizing that all scripture came by this method and this applies to all scripture. Another way to put this would have been 'no jot or tittle of scripture is of any private interpretation...'

John 16:13 (AV)

13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

That the Author of the Bible is naturally its interpreter / entrepreteur (entre = go between pret = giving / lending eur = the one who does so), and has been the Reveal-er and Empower-er since Genesis 1:2 (a passage that says essentially the Spirit of God was the "star reporter on the scene at creation...").

Dr. Chuck Missler did a study series on this likening it to the technology of the hologram. When illuminated with the laser light it was created, the hologram is a 3 D image. Without that laser light it is a flat piece of film that looks way out of focus. The scriptures are out of focus to those who do not read and study them with the illumination of the Holy Spirit who wrote them.

1 John 4:1 (AV)

1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

In keeping with 1 Thessalonians 5:21, we must prove or test everything and cling to that which is good. 1 John 4:1 tells us to test even that which we think or believe is the Holy Spirit to see that it truly is him... only due to the fact that we by nature are easily mislead. This applied to the apostles and angels (Galatians 1:8-9) and certainly to anyone living today. If anyone balks at being tested or says "don't tempt God's anointed" or some such foolishness, flee from them at once. They  are a false prophet! Jesus himself submitted to being proven by the teachings and the miracles and circumstances of his birth to authenticate who he was. So no one is above this testing. No one.

So how do we test all things?

Acts 17:11 (AV)

11These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

2 Timothy 3:16–17 (AV)

16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

2 Timothy 2:15 (AV)

15Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

With the leading, the guiding, the tutelage of the Holy Spirit (which you verify by the very scriptures you study).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

With prophecy and to a certain degree all scripture we study we must remember several things:

Proverbs 25:2 (AV)

2It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

Deuteronomy 29:29 (AV)

29The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

Isaiah 28:9–13 (AV)

9Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

10For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

11For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

12To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

13But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

This is partly due to prophecy that has yet to be fulfilled:

Romans 4:17 (AV)

17(As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

I chose to believe in it based on Faith....

:thumbsup:

Because The God Of The Bible Is Living

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. James 1:17

And True

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

The Reading Of His Holy Words

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

Will Feed The Faith Growing Within You

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks everyone.  It truly saddens me to see that some people so rigid in their belief in preterism that they are blinded by the power of God.  I know that the scriptures teaches us to always test what people say, or what theology are out there.  What I've always cautioned my friends, is that they should always read the book that they are studying and compare it with the Bible. To ensure what is taught in the book matches with what is taught in the bible. If it contradicts with the bible, then it is incorrect, false, and not worth the time to waste.  I believe that when people start being proud of their intellect, they forget that the intelligence that they have is a gift of God, and they should follow what the scripture says,"humble yourself, and God will bless you".  It is by this scripture that I practice daily, but i feel despair when I see such erroneous doctorine going out there and yet I haven't seen anyone trying to disprove it.  

Again, thank you.

Wrldtraveller

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Thanks everyone.  It truly saddens me to see that some people so rigid in their belief in preterism that they are blinded by the power of God.  I know that the scriptures teaches us to always test what people say, or what theology are out there.  What I've always cautioned my friends, is that they should always read the book that they are studying and compare it with the Bible. To ensure what is taught in the book matches with what is taught in the bible. If it contradicts with the bible, then it is incorrect, false, and not worth the time to waste.  I believe that when people start being proud of their intellect, they forget that the intelligence that they have is a gift of God, and they should follow what the scripture says,"humble yourself, and God will bless you".  It is by this scripture that I practice daily, but i feel despair when I see such erroneous doctorine going out there and yet I haven't seen anyone trying to disprove it.  

Again, thank you.

Wrldtraveller

If a person is interpreting the true word of God literally there is no way they will believe in preterism.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

So what about the subject about faith healing, laying of hands, speaking in tongues,  and different miracles, are they still in use now as it happened in the 12 disciples time? and how do we bring up this subject in church?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

So what about the subject about faith healing, laying of hands, speaking in tongues,  and different miracles, are they still in use now as it happened in the 12 disciples time? and how do we bring up this subject in church?

I don't bring it up in Church because I do not believe in it.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

Again, thank you.

Wrldtraveller

If a person is interpreting the true word of God literally there is no way they will believe in preterism.

First I want to say I do not believe in preterism.     That said, I am curious about your statement about interpreting the true word of God literally.    Are you saying everything in the bible should be interpreted literally?

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

as someone posted earlier , the bible is not to be interpreted.  simply,  read and pray and let the Father reveal the truth of HIS WORD.   when religious men interpret it, they do it to get control of others, or at least that's what happened after Paul departed from Ephesus- error was taught and propagated and continues to this day. 

read GOD'S WORD and pray and trust HIM.  HE is faithful, and HE is true.

read and have faith in Jesus - not in men.  this will heal (or allow to heal?) the damage caused by errors besides preterism, many errors introduced from basically 100a.d. to the present day .  

THAT takes FAITH.  (to trust God while reading the Bible, and let what is not from God be exposed and dealt with).   Faith in God,  that is, instead of faith in men.

and faith is a gift from God through grace in Jesus Christ the Messiah, freely given. 

Hi Jeff -  I'm sorry, but I don't understand.   Allow me to explain.  

The way we are built requires we interpret everything that comes through our senses.   If we didn't interpret, nothing would make sense. This is hard coded into the way we are designed by God Himself.   When it comes to what is written, we have to interpret symbols on a page - letters, then groups of letters (words), then groups of words.  The order in which they symbols appear change the meaning of what we see.  The Bible is composed of these same symbols that must be interpreted so on a very basic level, yes, we must engage in interpretation and it goes on from there.

Let me give you a real life example of what happened to me when my brain could not interpret the visual signals it was receiving.  I was driving a short route to my home that I drove every day.  I turned a corner and suddenly everything was scrambled - nothing visually made any sense.  It was all a jumbled mess.  I was unable to interpret the visual signals coming into my brain through my eyes.   I thank God that only lasted for a few seconds, but then I had no idea where I was for several more seconds.    I am thankful my daughter was there with me to guide me home until I could recognize where I was again.  

I'm sharing this to simply help illustrate my point.  Interpretation is a most fundamental part of our design, and God built us this way for a reason.   When we read words we are indeed engaged in interpretation, out of necessity, on a multitude of levels.  God knows our needs,  and has given us His word in a way that addresses those same needs He Himself gave us.  We must interpret God's words, otherwise, we could never make any sense of it by virtue of how our brains and minds are designed to work by God Himself, so I'm not quite sure what exactly you're saying here.  

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

There's your key -- "as it happened in the 12 disciples time".  There is a time and a season for everything, and during the Apostolic Age, sign miracles were a necessity to authenticate the Divine Gospel, therefore the apostles were given "the signs of an apostle" -- the ability to perform miracles --  meaning that these men had been sent by God to preach the Glad Tidings. 

As time progressed that ability was gradually withdrawn, so that even Paul could not perform a miracle for Epaphroditus, but prayed earnestly for his healing (Phil 2:27).  The apostles would pass on to glory, therefore James gave the Church instructions for Divine healing -- the prayer of faith of the elders of the church (Jas 5:13-20).

Scripture clearly states that three specific gifts would vanish away -- prophecies, tongues, and knowledge (which would be supernatural, since ordinary knowledge abounds) (1 Cor 13:8-13).  Scripture also says that the GREATEST spiritual gift is not a miraculous gift but agape -- charity -- Divine love (1 Cor 13:13), and this gift is available to all Christians.  Therefore the focus on sign gifts is unhealthy.

Does God expect Christians to interpret the Word as they study it and meditate upon it?  Absolutely (2 Tim 2:15): Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truthWhat does God mean by "rightly dividing the Word of Truth?"  Does He not mean properly and accurately interpreting the written Word of God?   The Greek word orthotomeo (dividing) pertains to cutting something straight. Spiritually it means rightly dealing or handling something -- interpreting the Scriptures correctly and accurately. When this does not happen, we see false doctrine and practice.