IGNORED

What Old Testament Laws Do You Still Follow And Why?

LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

I see a lot of post on here about how tattoos are a sin because it says so in the Old Testament Law. Women should dress a certain way according to Old Testament law. I have asked before but have never been given an answer. Do the people that are pointing out these "sins" follow every Old Testament Law? Even the ones about what you should eat and ect ect? My understanding is that as Christians we are no longer under these Laws. So why are they're Christians among us who condemn other brother's and sister's in Christ for not following the Laws of the Old Testaments? And how do they themselves follow every Old Testament Law? Or Just the ones they use to condemn others? Like I said, when I ask these questions of them I get no answers from them. I want answers.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,711
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

It's a yes and no. Paul said in Romans that the purpose of the law was to define what sin is. So, my view is unless Jesus specifically undid the law like He did with the food requirements, then the law still defines sin.

Obviously, were no longer bound by it but by grace-but sin is still sin. And we should at least, follow the spirit of the law. Obviously we should not be putting homosexuals to death, but homosexuality is still a sin.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "Do Christians have to obey the Old Testament law?"

Answer:
The key to understanding the relationship between the Christian and the Law is knowing that the Old Testament law was given to the nation of Israel, not to Christians. Some of the laws were to reveal to the Israelites how to obey and please God (the Ten Commandments, for example). Some of the laws were to show the Israelites how to worship God and atone for sin (the sacrificial system). Some of the laws were intended to make the Israelites distinct from other nations (the food and clothing rules). None of the Old Testament law is binding on Christians today. When Jesus died on the cross, He put an end to the Old Testament law (Romans 10:4;Galatians 3:23–25;Ephesians 2:15).

In place of the Old Testament law, Christians are under the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2), which is to “love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind…and to love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:37-39). If we obey those two commands, we will be fulfilling all that Christ requires of us: “All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments” (Matthew 22:40). Now, this does not mean the Old Testament law is irrelevant today. Many of the commands in the Old Testament law fall into the categories of “loving God” and “loving your neighbor.” The Old Testament law can be a good guidepost for knowing how to love God and knowing what goes into loving your neighbor. At the same time, to say that the Old Testament law applies to Christians today is incorrect. The Old Testament law is a unit (James 2:10). Either all of it applies, or none of it applies. If Christ fulfilled some of it, such as the sacrificial system, He fulfilled all of it.

“This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome” (1 John 5:3). The Ten Commandments were essentially a summary of the entire Old Testament law. Nine of the Ten Commandments are clearly repeated in the New Testament (all except the command to observe the Sabbath day). Obviously, if we are loving God, we will not be worshipping false gods or bowing down before idols. If we are loving our neighbors, we will not be murdering them, lying to them, committing adultery against them, or coveting what belongs to them. The purpose of the Old Testament law is to convict people of our inability to keep the law and point us to our need for Jesus Christ as Savior (Romans 7:7-9;Galatians 3:24). The Old Testament law was never intended by God to be the universal law for all people for all of time. We are to love God and love our neighbors. If we obey those two commands faithfully, we will be upholding all that God requires of us.

Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-law.html#ixzz3gAnAgBOj

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I try to follow the Ten Commandments.  As for eating pork and other such things, no.  I don't believe we are bound by ancient Jewish laws. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

My understanding is that as Christians we are no longer under these Laws.

Christians are not under the Old Covenant (which was given to Israel) but under the New Covenant (which was also given to Israel, but extended to the world).  No man was ever justified by observing the Law, but always on the basis of faith by God's grace.

But we need to break down into their components the laws which were within the Old Covenant and understand how they apply to us today:

1. The Ten Commandments -- eternally valid and binding, and now the Law of Christ (Gospels & Epistles)

2. Moral laws -- always valid and to be applied also in conjunction with the Law of Christ (e.g. no incest)

3. Social and civil laws -- many adopted into the laws of the land, therefore still valid (e.g. the death penalty for murder)

4. Sacrificial laws/Tabernacle laws/Temple laws -- abolished

5. Ceremonial observances -- abolished

6. Specific laws binding on Christians -- still binding (see Acts 15)

Coming back to the issue of tattoos, God condemned them as a heathen practice, and they remain a heathen practice.  So for Christians to resort to heathen practices is to approve what God condemns.  It is not Christians who condemn these practices but God Himself, since all heathen practices are connected with heathen gods and idols, who are in reality demons.  Christians cannot have fellowship with demons and with God at the same time.  The general principle can be taken from 1 Cor 10:20-22.

That's all nice and feely bo, but not biblically accurate. Sure were not bound by it but Romans 7:7 clearly states that the law is there so that we know what sin is. If we don't know what sin is, then we have no need of a savior because we don't know what is sin and what is not.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

That's all nice and feely bo, but not biblically accurate. Sure were not bound by it but Romans 7:7 clearly states that the law is there so that we know what sin is. If we don't know what sin is, then we have no need of a savior because we don't know what is sin and what is not.

If a Christian does not know what sin is and reads their Bible daily  they are in big trouble.

What is a sinner?

Guest Teditis

I agree with BoPeep's source with the exception of the Sabbath day

I'm just not certain about that.

Loving God and then neighbor as ourselves was what Christ hung the 

laws on and that's good enough for me.

Tattoos, long-hair, and most styles of clothing are all cultural things which

God doesn't give a hoot about.

If a Christian does not know what sin is and reads their Bible daily  they are in big trouble.

What is a sinner?

my point though. If you take out the OT, you can't know what sin is. If you eliminate the law, then you pretty much can do whatever you want.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

I see a lot of post on here about how tattoos are a sin because it says so in the Old Testament Law. Women should dress a certain way according to Old Testament law. I have asked before but have never been given an answer. Do the people that are pointing out these "sins" follow every Old Testament Law? Even the ones about what you should eat and ect ect? My understanding is that as Christians we are no longer under these Laws. So why are they're Christians among us who condemn other brother's and sister's in Christ for not following the Laws of the Old Testaments? And how do they themselves follow every Old Testament Law? Or Just the ones they use to condemn others? Like I said, when I ask these questions of them I get no answers from them. I want answers.

I try to obey the two great commandments (Mark 12:28-31):

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength." (Deuteronomy 6:5)

and

"Love your neighbour as yourself." (Leviticus 19:18)

These two are, in effect, a summary of the Ten Commandments. Now I believe that the Ten Commandments are still in force, but how we put some of them into practice may look slightly different in the 21st century (idols are not what they used to be, respect for parents is expressed very differently in different cultures, and personally I don't think that one's sabbath HAS to be on Saturday).

https://deborahsbiblestudies.wordpress.com/the-ten-commandments/

Once you go beyond the Ten Commandments, things get a lot more untidy. Some of the Old Testament laws are firmly endorsed in the New Testament (those concerning sexual behaviour, for example). Others are expressly set aside (such as the food laws). We are not under the Law and we don't have to keep every single rule; but we do need to understand the underlying principles in order to live holy lives in our own time and culture.