IGNORED

High minimum wage doesnt work after all

ayin jade

Guest shiloh357

Not really.   If a person takes a low paying job, they can't really complain.  They agree to the wage the company offers, and then complain that they are not getting paid enough. 

Some people are lazy.  But you have those people everywhere you go.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

The people who are reducing their hours to remain on welfare are not 'lazy leeches' since they are working. I assume they are reducing their hours because the minimum wage increase caused certain benefits to be lost which they needed but could not afford with the raise. Was the minimum wage increase to get people off of welfare or was it designed to give them a livable wage. If it was to give a livable wage, it did not work. It didn't work because they still needed assistance to have what they needed.

I assume the other way. I assume they found, like any other human, that they could have more "me" time at home and had an easier life if they worked less and kept welfare benefits. Who wouldnt want to work less hours for the same amount of money?

It's not that they don't understand, they don't care. They consider us low paying jobs lazy.

right.  and true.   greed rules corporations, ever since corporations started.

they can afford to pay over $22 / hr starting wage even to grocery baggers.

but

they almost never will.   they have been greedy to long to start doing what is right.

Thats not true. My husband works for a grocery chain. Because of the competition, profit margins are scanty. With the economy, people are bargain shopping at the grocery stores now. They are struggling just to survive, and many dont survive. They cant afford to increase wages and still make a profit. If they raise prices to compensate, folks will buy elsewhere. You just have a gripe against businesses. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

The people who are reducing their hours to remain on welfare are not 'lazy leeches' since they are working. I assume they are reducing their hours because the minimum wage increase caused certain benefits to be lost which they needed but could not afford with the raise. Was the minimum wage increase to get people off of welfare or was it designed to give them a livable wage. If it was to give a livable wage, it did not work. It didn't work because they still needed assistance to have what they needed.

I assume the other way. I assume they found, like any other human, that they could have more "me" time at home and had an easier life if they worked less and kept welfare benefits. Who wouldnt want to work less hours for the same amount of money?

Sorry I agree with Qnts on this.

Guest shiloh357

Businesses are not obligated to the employees beyond the benefits and wages they promised when those people were hired.  Raises or salary increases are at the discretion of the company.  That's just the cold hard truth about business.  

If you do more than your paid to do, you will eventually get paid more for what you  do.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Businesses are not obligated to the employees beyond the benefits and wages they promised when those people were hired.  Raises or salary increases are at the discretion of the company.  That's just the cold hard truth about business.  

If you do more than your paid to do, you will eventually get paid more for what you  do.

Maybe or get a promotion but don't hold your breath.

You are also not owed anymore than was offered and agreed to. It seems that these days folks assume their employers owe them more than was agreed to. 

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,138
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Do more I don't think I would agree with in most cases.......    better education and learning more about where you work so you can do other jobs there, I would agree with though.

Guest shiloh357

The person who is willing to work overtime, who take initiative, who spearheads programs and makes the company more profitable is likely to see more raises and advancement.   He made himself more useful to the company.

The guy who does just enough to get a paycheck and simply clocks in and clocks out may not see much favor from the company and only minimal raises.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

You are also not owed anymore than was offered and agreed to. It seems that these days folks assume their employers owe them more than was agreed to. 

Anything can be taken too far.  Surely you wouldn't include sweat shops here.