Amazon

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

Do you think labor unions would be a solution? How?

Well, corruption aside, one reason Unions came into existence to begin with was workers being mistreated by the company owners. Some of that got ugly back in the 19th Century. If the corporations won't pay a decent wage and provide a safe working environment then they need to be forced to do so - and I really don't care if its by the government, labor unions, or perhaps both. Fallen human nature means people will be mistreated like this until its in a company's best interest not to mistreat them. That's why unions works so well at first - strikes hit them in the wallet - which is really the only thing they will listen to.

Yes,if it is a good strong union they will protect you.There are only a couple of those left.Some unions are not worth the money you pay them in dues.The downfall of unions is it is very hard to get someone out who is not doing their job.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

There is a way around that.  Set workloads and don't hire more people to do the job...  if someone isn't pulling their weight others have to work harder to get the job done...  if job not done everyone gets cut back on bonuses.  When you make it a burden on others they will ask the union to get rid of the person.

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,466
  • Topics Per Day:  1.25
  • Content Count:  27,800
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  130
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

I read the entire NY Times article and the problem was that "Amazon" was made into a 'god' by its creators.  When someone spends every moment of every day focused on the company -- in essence, it's become a 'god' to the employee!

I read the entire NY Times article and the problem was that "Amazon" was made into a 'god' by its creators.  When someone spends every moment of every day focused on the company -- in essence, it's become a 'god' to the employee!

Exactly George.Does greed come into this as well?I was talking to a postal employee and they said that Amazon is hot.They had a whole room just designated for Amazon packages.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Content Count:  18,147
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Peeps,,,,

I get the feeling I missed something here? What does Darwin have to do with this?

I was especially interested in the gal that worked for Amazon for 9 years,it seems they have a lot of long term employees so it can't be all that bad,,,,,,,you either accept the responsibilities that are required of you when you commit to taking a position as an employee or you don't & you move on,I am never very fond of whining & complaining,,,,,,either do something about it to improve whatever it is that makes you unhappy,deal with  it or find employment elsewhere,better suited to you........

George is 100% accurate,,,,,,,people do make "gods" for themselves by focusing & investing their every waking thought into many things including places of employment & employers,,,,,,,this is simply because they have been conditioned to believe that is where or who their provision comes from,,,,,,,,,God is our Provider........

King James Bible
But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it ishe that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.                                                      Deuteronomy 8:18

Perhaps if these folks would re-evaluate their priorities,work might produce an entirely different outcome for them

With love-in Christ,Kwik 

Blessings Peeps,,,,

I get the feeling I missed something here? What does Darwin have to do with this?

I was especially interested in the gal that worked for Amazon for 9 years,it seems they have a lot of long term employees so it can't be all that bad,,,,,,,you either accept the responsibilities that are required of you when you commit to taking a position as an employee or you don't & you move on,I am never very fond of whining & complaining,,,,,,either do something about it to improve whatever it is that makes you unhappy,deal with  it or find employment elsewhere,better suited to you........

George is 100% accurate,,,,,,,people do make "gods" for themselves by focusing & investing their every waking thought into many things including places of employment & employers,,,,,,,this is simply because they have been conditioned to believe that is where or who their provision comes from,,,,,,,,,God is our Provider........

King James Bible
But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it ishe that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.                                                      Deuteronomy 8:18

Perhaps if these folks would re-evaluate their priorities,work might produce an entirely different outcome for them

With love-in Christ,Kwik 

I was wondering about the same thing.Was it an unhappy employer who was booted out?

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Content Count:  18,147
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Seems that way Peeps,,,,,,,,,theres always fire somewhere where you see alot of smoke,,,,,,or however that saying goes?lol

Seems that way Peeps,,,,,,,,,theres always fire somewhere where you see alot of smoke,,,,,,or however that saying goes?lol

I agree.I was just so disappointed when I saw this article.I have bought a lot of things from Amazon.Prime will get you free shipping and the stuff comes in 2 days.I have been very happy with dealing with the company.

I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon.I am wondering if I should :(

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/15/technology/amazon-new-york-times/index.html

I've worked enough temp-to-hire jobs in my time that perhaps some might call me cynical about them. The truth is you are essentially treated as a throw-away. No different than office supplies like a box of paper - when its used up it is thrown in the bin or recycled. Amazon is not the only corporation that takes advantage of this, so whether or not you do business with them any more is up to you. You might be surprised how many local companies take advantage of temp labor.

The temp agencies take advantage of the high number of people looking for work and you get this kind of thing going on. The Corporations make out like bandits on this because the can use you & abuse you for up to 6 months in some cases (depending on the state, etc.) before they have to spend money on benefits for a full time employee. I wasted almost 2 years trying to keep a career in the electronics industry alive while all job openings were temp positions. It was a waste of time with no insurance or any other benefits. I've seen cases where they hired us for "90 days temp-to-hire" and we were laid off for day 91 - then told we could come back the next day on a new 90 day period. Once they did it over a weekend and didn't tell anyone. Amazon is not the only company doing this - and probably skirting around the labor unions too, depending on the state. I'm thinking one solution would be to outlaw "temp to hire" period because of all the abuses that go on. Or perhaps its time for Labor Unions to start gaining members again.

If you like unions then don't vote for Scott Walker.I guess he is really against them.