Ezra

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

15)  But not as the offence, so also is the free gift.  For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by One Man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.   16)  And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.   17)  For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by One, Jesus Christ.)   18)  Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of One the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.   19)  For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of One shall many be made righteous.   20)  Moreover the law entered that the offence might abound,  But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.   21)  That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.   Romans  5:15-21  

It is most definitely a free gift given to us by God thru our Lord Jesus Christ.  But when need to remember that immediately after writing these verses in the next three Paul warns the believers of continuing in sin that grace may abound, Romans 6:1-3.   In Ephesians 2:1-6 Paul states that we are made alive/quicken by Christ and than states:        7)  That in the ages to come He might shew the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.   8)  For by grace are ye saved, through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:   9)  Not of works, lest any man should boast.   10)  For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.  Ephesians 2:7-10

Isn't it interesting that we all pretty much know Ephesians 2:8-9, which states there is nothing we can do of ourselves to save ourselves which is true, but that following verse 10, states we are God's workmanship to the best of my reckoning that is saying the Holy Spirit reside in our hearts and helps us to perform His good works again this is not works which we can do of ourselves but with the Holy Spirit we produce His fruits, Matthew 7:16-23; Galatians 5:22-25; true faith produce the work of the Holy Spirit which James write about in his book, James 2:14-26.  So that yes as believers we receive this free gift which none can add to, but once we accept it God's Holy Spirit starts to work in our hearts to produce not our but His good works.  The writer of Hebrews puts it this way:  7)  For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing of God:   8)  But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursings; whose end is to be burned.   9)  But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.   10)  For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward His Name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.   Hebrews 6:7-10

So that we see that as believers if we receive the blessing the Holy Spirit desire to give us by allowing Him to work in our lives we receive blessing from God.  But if not just as the three bad grounds in Luke 8:4-15, we will be burned. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Sacraments are signs or symbols....when Jesus held the Last supper with His disciples He told them to observe the same as a sign or symbol...bread..His body, wine..His blood. His sacrifice for us. All foretelling the heavenly Feast of the marriage of the Lamb to His bride.

the gift of eternal life is free because it was paid for by Jesus....we need do nothing but accept the gift.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

Sacraments are signs or symbols....when Jesus held the Last supper with His disciples He told them to observe the same as a sign or symbol...bread..His body, wine..His blood. His sacrifice for us.

There is a very big difference between how evangelical and fundamentalist Christians view the ordinances of Baptism and the Lord's Supper and those who promote Sacramentalism as a necessity for salvation.  Therefore Christians should avoid the term "sacrament" altogether, and since it is not even found in Scripture, it can simply be set aside.

Coming to the light (see above passage) is clearing our conscience through humiliation by exposing our past evil deeds.  Exposing past evil deeds is not possible to God for God already knows our past evil deeds.

That statement "clearing our conscience through humiliation by exposing our past evil deeds" has no foundation in Scripture. Scripture says "lest his deeds should be reproved" which means that when a sinner is CONVICTED -- confronted with his sins through the Word of God and by the Holy Spirit --  he realizes that he needs to repent (turn away from his sins).  It is not a matter of "humiliation" but it is one of confrontation with the truth about his spiritual condition.  That is "reproof" (rebuke, conviction, exposure of sin).

It is never a good idea to concoct our own theology and end up with false ideas about what is clear in Scripture.  Bible Truth is not esoteric. Even children should be able to understand what God says, and adults should become as little children in God's presence.

• Topic Count:  230
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

sacrament /ˈsakrəm(ə)nt/ 

~~~~
Is this not what in common terms the "sacrament of Holy Communion" is? or that of wedding ? the sacraments of the Christian church are the same though the full meaning of the sacrament of Communion is different in the full meaning in the Catholic church.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

Ezra asked "Are Sacraments NECESSARY for salvation?"

Little flower responded "Your question offers a false dichotomy"

By necessity this answers the question as Yes they are one and the same for the Sacraments are salvation.  That is what I hear.  Correct me if I misunderstand how a false dichotomy would apply to the question otherwise. Thank you.

There is no yes or no answer in a false dichotomy.   If you come up with a yes from my response then you aren't understanding the intrinsic nature of a false dichotomy.  There is no logically valid yes or no answer to the question asked.

You labeled it a false dichotomy therefore the onus is on you to provide evidence that it is not an either or answer but that there are other options ruled out by the questions presentation.  I would like to hear your answer please.

i have nothing to prove gdemoss.    The answer requires a discussion.     I attempted to engage in a discussion, and asked if he even knew what the word "sacrament" means.    He refused the discussion.

If you would like an answer then I would say the same to you.    

And let me be very clear.  I am not interested in being treated as a hostile witness on the witness stand.   So if that's your level of interest, as it was Ezra's, we won't be discussing this here.   However, if you are interested in an honest, open discussion I will be happy to engage with you.

It is important that we be on the same page in order to address questions about sacraments.

Do you know what the word sacrament means?     

I am interested in honest friendly discussion.  I admit to having been harshly critical of you and therefore you have reason to be skeptical. 

The word sacrament in its basic meaning means mystery and is used by some to describe a method believed to be ordained by Christ to receive grace.  Within the word we see roots of sacred as well as sake so the general term deals with that which is good and something beneficial to the receiver.

Ezra asked "Are Sacraments NECESSARY for salvation?"

Little flower responded "Your question offers a false dichotomy"

By necessity this answers the question as Yes they are one and the same for the Sacraments are salvation.  That is what I hear.  Correct me if I misunderstand how a false dichotomy would apply to the question otherwise. Thank you.

There is no yes or no answer in a false dichotomy.   If you come up with a yes from my response then you aren't understanding the intrinsic nature of a false dichotomy.  There is no logically valid yes or no answer to the question asked.

You labeled it a false dichotomy therefore the onus is on you to provide evidence that it is not an either or answer but that there are other options ruled out by the questions presentation.  I would like to hear your answer please.

i have nothing to prove gdemoss.    The answer requires a discussion.     I attempted to engage in a discussion, and asked if he even knew what the word "sacrament" means.    He refused the discussion.

If you would like an answer then I would say the same to you.    

And let me be very clear.  I am not interested in being treated as a hostile witness on the witness stand.   So if that's your level of interest, as it was Ezra's, we won't be discussing this here.   However, if you are interested in an honest, open discussion I will be happy to engage with you.

It is important that we be on the same page in order to address questions about sacraments.

Do you know what the word sacrament means?     

I am interested in honest friendly discussion.  I admit to having been harshly critical of you and therefore you have reason to be skeptical. 

The word sacrament in its basic meaning means mystery and is used by some to describe a method believed to be ordained by Christ to receive grace.  Within the word we see roots of sacred as well as sake so the general term deals with that which is good and something beneficial to the receiver.

Thank you gdemos  I truly do appreciate your words and kindness above.

You are right in one sense,  but you are wrong as well.  It's like getting the cart before the horse.    The word sacrament comes from "sacramentum" which means "oath".

A discussion of the word sacrament goes hand in hand with a discussion of the Covenant itself, what it is, it's nature.    The two are intrinsically tied together.   If one does not understand how the Catholic Church views what the covenant is,  what kind of covenant we have in the New Covenant, then one is not going to properly understand the word "sacrament."   

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,379
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  2

"After the same manner also [he took] the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink [it], in remembrance of me."

God with us made a new covenant, amen ?

Are the sacraments necessary? No.

No. We don't need a "discussion".  Are Sacraments NECESSARY for salvation?  YES or NO.

No.

According to whom?

Yahweh.

Amen. The NEW covenant made the old obsolete. We are to remember what our LORD has done, and study His Word. His sacrifice cannot be trumped by our works.