Ezra

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23

If you asked the average person whether or not they would like to live forever, almost everyone would say “Yes”.  If you asked the same people if they would like to receive God’s gift of eternal life, they would probably give you a blank stare.

For the average person, “There is no such thing as a free lunch”.  Then why should the most precious thing – eternal life – be a free gift?  And because such is human reasoning, the vast bulk of humanity is involved with some kind of religion, even if it consists of self-worship. All religions require human effort in order to be accepted by God, and even then, there is no certainty of acceptance.

But when we come to the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, we are shocked to find that God literally offers us the gift of eternal life freely. So why is eternal life a free gift and not something to be earned with our own efforts at being righteous, moral and good?

1. We must be as perfect as God (Matthew 5;48)

2. We can never be as perfect as God (Romans 3:9-23)

3. We would all be separated from God unless He did something for us (Romans 3:24-26; 5:6-11)

4. Christ has paid the full penalty for all our sins (2 Corinthians 5:21; 1John 2:1,2).

5. Eternal life is therefore a free gift to those who repent and believe the Gospel (1 John 5:1-13).

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

:thumbsup:

I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. Isaiah 42:8

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  0

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23

If you asked the average person whether or not they would like to live forever, almost everyone would say “Yes”.  If you asked the same people if they would like to receive God’s gift of eternal life, they would probably give you a blank stare.

For the average person, “There is no such thing as a free lunch”.  Then why should the most precious thing – eternal life – be a free gift?  And because such is human reasoning, the vast bulk of humanity is involved with some kind of religion, even if it consists of self-worship. All religions require human effort in order to be accepted by God, and even then, there is no certainty of acceptance.

But when we come to the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, we are shocked to find that God literally offers us the gift of eternal life freely. So why is eternal life a free gift and not something to be earned with our own efforts at being righteous, moral and good?

1. We must be as perfect as God (Matthew 5;48)

2. We can never be as perfect as God (Romans 3:9-23)

3. We would all be separated from God unless He did something for us (Romans  is involved with some kind of religion, even if it consists of self-worship. All religions require human effort in order 

4. Christ has paid the full penalty for all our sins (2 Corinthians 5:21; 

This is something about Christianity, I did not fully understood yet. By reading your posts in the forum, I have the impression that everyone will have eternal life. At least, technically. The difference is how they are going to spend it. 

Or does death mean the effective termination of any sort of consciousness?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Because of the Sacrificial Lamb Jesus Christ.He died on the Cross for our sins.All we have to do is be a born again Christian John 3:16.It is a free gift.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

This is something about Christianity, I did not fully understood yet. By reading your posts in the forum, I have the impression that everyone will have eternal life. At least, technically. The difference is how they are going to spend it. 

Or does death mean the effective termination of any sort of consciousness?

Siegi,

The OFFER of eternal life is to everyone.  However ONLY THOSE WHO OBEY THE GOSPEL receive eternal life, which is a perfect and endless life with God and Christ. 

Death on the other hand is SEPARATION.  There are two deaths.  The first death is the separation of the soul and spirit from the body (physical death).  The second death is eternal separation from God in the Lake of Fire (Hell).  Those who reject Christ and reject or resist the Gospel condemn themselves to Hell, and the wrath of God comes upon them in Hell.  Please note what is stated in John 3:36:

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

The OFFER of eternal life is to everyone.  However ONLY THOSE WHO OBEY THE GOSPEL receive eternal life, which is a perfect and endless life with God and Christ. 

[/quote]

I (and millions of others - especially since the reformation) have a slightly different take on that.

We would say, God gives eternal life to some, but does make the offer to all. To those He does grant eternal life, they are the ones who obey the Gospel. Obendience does not result in eternal life, the grace of God and gift of eternal life, results in obedience.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

It is a free gift simply because it cannot be earned. There is no task we can do, there is no price we can pay.

That does not mean Salvation comes without a cost.  We must be willing to sacrifice our life and our will to follow the will of God

Romans 12:I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Why is eternal life a free gift?

Because God loves us.

We make mistakes. Since Adam we have fallen. We are corrupted by sin. It doesn't help either while Satan is around, constantly playing games with us and tempting us and messing around with our heads. God himself knows that we cannot achieve salvation by ourselves.

God believes in free will, therefore he gives us a choice. Accept the free gift of salvation or don't accept it. It's not difficult to understand this. It's not rocket science. The Lord couldn't offer it to us any simpler if he tried. So, do you accept this fee gift or don't you?

The choice is yours.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

I (and millions of others - especially since the reformation) have a slightly different take on that.

We would say, God gives eternal life to some, but does make the offer to all. To those He does grant eternal life, they are the ones who obey the Gospel. Obendience does not result in eternal life, the grace of God and gift of eternal life, results in obedience.

The OFFER of eternal life is to everyone.  However ONLY THOSE WHO OBEY THE GOSPEL receive eternal life, which is a perfect and endless life with God and Christ. 

There may be millions of believers who believe so, but there are almost 2 billion who don't.

Calvinism, with its version of predeterminism, IMHO misses the boat entire on this subject.  

The scriptures do not deny salvation to anyone  - God has not ahead of time decided who would be saved and who would not be.   The gift of salvation is offered to all.   We do actually have free will and can choose to accept or reject it.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

The 'will' is often forgotten when talking about this, I think.   As in not saying "Tell me what I have to do God so I can have eternal life, and I'll do it if I want to...  etc etc" ,  but rather "I am totally yours God, do with me whatever you please;  whatever you say, your very whisper, is my command - YOU ARE MY LORD AND MY GOD, ask of me whatever you will, whatever you decide, whatever you want, I am your servant oh my God, even unto death". 

((in other words - God doesn't give a bunch of choices and say pick.  He says what to do, and who is to do it, (and what not to do) , and that's that.  Either He is Lord and Master, or He is not.))

I agree with almost everything you said.

I would say, however, that God does give us choices.   There is His perfect will, and then there is His permissive will.   If we want to follow His perfect will for us then I agree with everything you said above.  

Also,  many people will warmly accept you into their home or church or business or other places, when you talk 'nice' and they can remain like they are and be affirmed , so to speak, even though they are selfish and wicked.

Then,  when they find out the Creator you serve (in the Messiah Yeshua)  requires a total turn-a-bout, a complete life change, 

they will turn on you viciously, "gnashing their teeth at or on you" I think it says somewhere in the BIBLE, 

and treat you like vermin.

I would hazard a guess that much of that may have to do with the delivery rather than the message itself.