• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

Greed? I would think so  :o

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/turing-pharmaceuticals-ceo-martin-shkreli-defends-5000-percent-price-hike-on-daraprim-drug/

When Turing Pharmaceuticals bought the 62-year-old drug called Daraprim in August, the company immediately raised the price of one pill from $13.50 to $750. The increase drew protests in the medical community from those concerned that many patients will no longer be able to afford the drug. According to Turing CEO Martin Shkreli, however, the move is simply a smart business decision.

"Why was it necessary to raise the price of Daraprim so drastically?" CBS News correspondent Don Dahler asked Shkreli.

"Well, it depends on how you define so drastically. Because the drug was unprofitable at the former price, so any company selling it would be losing money. And at this price it's a reasonable profit. Not excessive at all," Shkreli responded.

Daraprim was developed in 1953 as a treatment for toxoplasmosis, an infection caused by a parasite. It comes from eating under-cooked meat or drinking contaminated water, and affects those with compromised immune systems, like AIDS and cancer patients.

When Turing Pharmaceuticals raised the price of Daraprim to $750 per tablet, the average cost of treatment for patients rose from about $1,130 to $63,000. For certain patients, the cost can go as high as $634,000.

While Shkreli acknowledged that the move might look "greedy," he said there are "a lot of altruistic properties to it."

Edited by bopeep1909

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Years ago, an entire class of drugs skyrocketed in price. It turned out not to be the fault of the manufacturer but rather that the raw ingredients they used in making the drugs skyrocketed in cost to them. Dont make the assumption that greed is at the heart of things.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.68
  • Days Won:  37

Years ago, an entire class of drugs skyrocketed in price. It turned out not to be the fault of the manufacturer but rather that the raw ingredients they used in making the drugs skyrocketed in cost to them. Dont make the assumption that greed is at the heart of things.

That's not what happened here though .  It cost about  $1 to be made from what I remember reading.

Edited by thereselittleflower

Didn't it use to be about $13/tab?   there is a decimal point missing there.

Drug Goes From $13.50 a Tablet to $750, Overnight

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/21/business/a-huge-overnight-increase-in-a-drugs-price-raises-protests.html?_r=0

Edited by thereselittleflower

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Actually the market was happy to pay 13.50.  Nothing justifies this price hike but greed.

BTW the first effective drug that was brought out a bit over 20 years ago for M.S.  is BetaSerone.....    my wife has taken it for over 20 years.   When it first came out on the market it was $1,200 a month.   It's up to about $5,700+ dollars a month now...  I don't see how anyone could use this drug without insurance.

Actually the market was happy to pay 13.50.  Nothing justifies this price hike but greed.

I have read that they have lowered the price already, but it would be interesting to see what the insurance companies did with this.

If you research long enough, and if God permits, you can find less expensive 'drugs' with your doctor's help, almost ((not always)) all the time.    

We found after going to doctor's and hospitals and clinics for almost a decade that doctor's aren't incentivized to tell their patients the truth or what's best for them.   Other patients who suffered similar troubles ended up telling us what to tell the doctors to do and to test for,  and WALL LA ! or WAH LA ? THEY WERE RIGHT ! :) 

So, we learned to keep searching for what other doctor's used, and what other patients used, that was less expensive WHEN POSSIBLE,  and OTC WHEN POSSIBLE,

under a doctor's care and supervision, 

and would SAFELY ACCOMPLISH what the doctor's are supposed to accomplish if and when it is even possible.  ((some things are impossible for man; but with God all things are possible ((yes, some doctor's , albeit few, have faith in God and pray)) )) .

There might be less reason to trust a doctor without checking what he says, 

than to trust a new or used car salesman or a lawyer.  

TEST EVERYTHING. DOUBLE CHECK.  

Keep looking((and praying)) for the help needed - God PROMISES it is PROVIDED by HIM.((often though or with much suffering, admitted by Jesus)). 

One of the most amazing things we found, that has no negative effects other than turning the skin blue if something like a million times the recommended dose is taken every day for 2 years ((maybe less depending on the person)), 

is colloidal silver,  for example.    After it was published nationwide and everyone could get it((about 11 years ago, maybe less, maybe more)) , the FDA banned it((mostly; some can still be legally purchased ((at much higher cost)) in the usa)) , and admitted that no one had ever been hurt by it, no one had ever died from using it, and they had no record of anyone coming to any harm from using it.

Remember the drugmakers work for their stockholders, not for us.  ((so may the makers of safe items,  but with your doctor's care and supervision, compare cost and side effects - that's still legal and can easily save 500$ per day some days, and eliminate a LOT of pain and suffering sometimes)).

Colloidal silver is one of the most amazing remedies.

Tea Tree Oil also amazing to control and deal with infections.

Arnica Montana homeopathic for injuries - also amazing

Oscillicoccinum for flu/cold - also amazing when taken immediately when symptoms start.

I've been able to take Hawthorne for blood pressure and avoid meds.

I used Dandelion Root to manage Intercranial hypertension.

I'm using Niagen 3-4 times a day to restore my mitochondrial functioning so I have normal energy levels instead of profound exhaustion crashes.  (people really need to check this one out).

Just started using protolytic enzymes to address inflamation in muscles and joints in my hip which has caused muscle spasms and extreme pain at times and compression of the sciatic nerve. - its working very fast. 

The only medication I take is warfarin because of the blood clots in my lungs 5-6 years ago, and I want to get off that.