IGNORED

Is Embryo adoption/donation or egg donation acceptable?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,265
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

What would you tell an embryo adopted child with anonymous donors?  I definitely think it's important for them to know they're adopted.

You simply tell them the truth;....    that you wanted them so badly that you went to extreme measures to get them......   same as adopting.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

What if the embryos already exist though?  What should be done with those that have already been created?  I think that in the medical institutions which provide donor eggs and sperm treatments, the left over embryos are kept as back ups.  Shouldn't those embryos be given an opportunity to develop as well?  The only problem is that the donors are anonymous. 

That is not a responsibility for Christians to shoulder.  Let those who created the embryos deal with them.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.68
  • Days Won:  37

Saved Ricky,

I disagree. Having children is a gift not a right. And I don't believe we should be circumventing the natural order of creating children.

The act of creating a child creates a bond between husband and wife. Adding a lab tech into the mix I don't feel is right. 

First off in order to be able to harvest the mans seed you have to do so in a sinful way

If it's Gods will, it will happen

I'm not sure if this can be explained delicately or not, so my question regarding how it is sinful should maybe be ignored. I hadn't considered the how, etc. I'll do some research.

It's not sinful. The "harvesting" is done as a medical procedure with a needle. Your research should fill in the details. 

The harvesting of sperm isn't through normal means of sperm exiting the male body?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

What would you tell an embryo adopted child with anonymous donors?  I definitely think it's important for them to know they're adopted.

(don't know why the quote has slipped into my box, which I was trying to get rid of) 

Suppose a baby is abandoned, and nobody ever finds out who its parents are. They will forever remain 'anonymous', which will be frustrating for the child as he/she grows up but I don't see any other problem.

In the first century, Christians made a point of adopting babies who had been 'exposed' (left on the local rubbish heap to die). Some of those babies went on to be church leaders. If those Christian adopters weren't worried about anonymity, why should we be?

Guest Thallasa

(don't know why the quote has slipped into my box, which I was trying to get rid of) 

Suppose a baby is abandoned, and nobody ever finds out who its parents are. They will forever remain 'anonymous', which will be frustrating for the child as he/she grows up but I don't see any other problem.

In the first century, Christians made a point of adopting babies who had been 'exposed' (left on the local rubbish heap to die). Some of those babies went on to be church leaders. If those Christian adopters weren't worried about anonymity, why should we be?

In 'the end times' people will be lovers of themselves,they will try to overcome God's methods to the point of using scienceto avoid the natural laws which He created .We have no right to do more than help a heterosexual couple to overcomeany obstacles like like blockage of the womans tubes ,and to enable an increase in sperm count for the male .Making babies outside the way God designed us to have them shows impatience  ,interference in God's laws ,and taken to the extreme,finally allows people like homosexuals to bypass the Laws of Creation ,entirely . We are living then 'outside ' of the Law .

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I suppose those babies were already born.  However, the embryos which are created at these medical institutions are for the purpose of helping women to get pregnant.  Is it ok to have embryo donation when the egg donors and sperm donors aren't in a relationship when the embryos were created?  Also, is embryo adoption/donation more acceptable than egg or sperm donation? 

In 'the end times' people will be lovers of themselves,they will try to overcome God's methods to the point of using scienceto avoid the natural laws which He created .We have no right to do more than help a heterosexual couple to overcomeany obstacles like like blockage of the womans tubes ,and to enable an increase in sperm count for the male .Making babies outside the way God designed us to have them shows impatience  ,interference in God's laws ,and taken to the extreme,finally allows people like homosexuals to bypass the Laws of Creation ,entirely . We are living then 'outside ' of the Law .

What about the embryos that are already created in the medical institutions?  Should they be discarded even though they are produced for the purpose of helping women to have a child of their own?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

I suppose those babies were already born.  However, the embryos which are created at these medical institutions are for the purpose of helping women to get pregnant.  Is it ok to have embryo donation when the egg donors and sperm donors aren't in a relationship when the embryos were created?  Also, is embryo adoption/donation more acceptable than egg or sperm donation? 

Do you believe that life begins at fertilisation? If so, it makes no difference whether a baby is already born or just a bundle of cells: it is an individual created in the image of God. The motive behind our creation (on a human level) is immaterial. 

If you were adopting a baby 'already born', would you stipulate that its parents had been "in a relationship" when it was conceived? Why does this matter to you? And how would you define "in a relationship"? We are all stained by sin to some extent...Would someone conceived as a result of rape, for example, be 'unacceptable"? If we are commanded to love even our enemies, why should embryos/babies/children not conceived "in a relationship" be excluded from this particular manifestation of our love?

As to whether embryo adoption is more acceptable than egg or sperm donation, acceptable to whom? You and your spouse? Only you can answer that. Your church? You will have to ask your priest/minister. Your family? Ask them. Anyone else? It's none of their business. God? If He hasn't laid down a rule on this in Scripture (which He hasn't), then just ask yourself if you doing it out of a desire to please Him or to please yourselves.

Do you believe that life begins at fertilisation? If so, it makes no difference whether a baby is already born or just a bundle of cells: it is an individual created in the image of God. The motive behind our creation (on a human level) is immaterial. 

If you were adopting a baby 'already born', would you stipulate that its parents had been "in a relationship" when it was conceived? Why does this matter to you? And how would you define "in a relationship"? We are all stained by sin to some extent...Would someone conceived as a result of rape, for example, be 'unacceptable"? If we are commanded to love even our enemies, why should embryos/babies/children not conceived "in a relationship" be excluded from this particular manifestation of our love?

As to whether embryo adoption is more acceptable than egg or sperm donation, acceptable to whom? You and your spouse? Only you can answer that. Your church? You will have to ask your priest/minister. Your family? Ask them. Anyone else? It's none of their business. God? If He hasn't laid down a rule on this in Scripture (which He hasn't), then just ask yourself if you doing it out of a desire to please Him or to please yourselves.

I also believe that life begins at fertilisation.  What I'm trying to decide is whether or not it's ok from a Christian perspective to have egg donation, sperm donation or embryo donation from a medical institution that are in the business of paying egg donors and sperm donors to help infertile or older women to get pregnant?  I realise there is nothing in the Bible to state that it's wrong, but such interventions weren't available then and therefore I don't know what to think really.  I appreciate every reply that I get because I've tried to get answers from various other places online and this is the only place where I've received Christian views on the topic.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

I realise there is nothing in the Bible to state that it's wrong, but such interventions weren't available then and therefore I don't know what to think really.

God's Word is not limited to ancient times, but is applicable to every age and circumstance. Had God approved of such "interventions" there would be some sort of indication that man could interfere with a process that is strictly in God's hands. So your focus should be on what God says about natural childbirth and what it means, including the fact that human genealogies are important to God.  Too many medical practitioners enjoy playing God, so beware of what secular medicine has to say.