• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,190
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

11 minutes ago, Ezra said:

That's a bit of an exaggeration. This view may have prevailed a long time ago but there are only a few members of the Flat Earthy Society today (perhaps 500).

yeah and they all live in Texas :blink: 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

42 minutes ago, Ezra said:

That's a bit of an exaggeration. This view may have prevailed a long time ago but there are only a few members of the Flat Earthy Society today (perhaps 500).

Dr Michael Heiser does not agree with the Flat Earth Society, and has a doctorate in Hebrew and Greek and he will tell you that it literally says that it's a flat round disk.....    but he will also tell you why it says that and that you would be foolish to take all that literally.       And he knows much more about Hebrew than I ever will.....   and he is not the only one, just the most credentialed.

I would post some of his video's, but it's really too much for the mods to spend that much time....   but because the subject gets complex when you go through all the scripture that the video's can get kind of long  he also has a couple of books that are interesitng,,,,   but alas also time consuming.....   in the hours.

Guest Thallasa
On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 4:17 PM, ARGOSY said:

I'm not really following you. God is eternal. That is my scriptural backing.    He also created the concept of creativity, because He created everything.  A creative eternal God would therefore, just by definition of His character, would have been doing things before creation week. 

C'est du Logique ,it is logical . But some frown on using the brains  He gave us ,forgetting that we were made in His image ,to be creative . Just because some wish to be gods ,which is not the same as being "in His image",  we should  not frown on creative thinking .

Mark 9 : 40"He is not against us is for us ".   Matt .12 :30 3He who is not with me ,is against me".Two  seemingly  contradictory sayings of Our Lord , well explained by Ken Collins on his website, in this article ,"  Did Jesus contradict Himself, about who is on His side " ?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,190
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

unfortunately that is much of the problem with all this - non-disciplined hermeneutical practice so that opinion is whatever one thinks...
It doesn't have to be based on God's Word but what I imagine god's word to be ... when they stand before The Living Word and all that is
being used now -I feel, I think, I imagine will be empty words not able to be spoken in His Presence...  Love, Steven

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,695
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  04/11/1968

19 hours ago, Thallasa said:

C'est du Logique ,it is logical . But some frown on using the brains  He gave us ,forgetting that we were made in His image ,to be creative . Just because some wish to be gods ,which is not the same as being "in His image",  we should  not frown on creative thinking .

Mark 9 : 40"He is not against us is for us ".   Matt .12 :30 3He who is not with me ,is against me".Two  seemingly  contradictory sayings of Our Lord , well explained by Ken Collins on his website, in this article ,"  Did Jesus contradict Himself, about who is on His side " ?

Yes, no harm in using this brain that God gave us.   Jesus always gave thoughtful answers to his detractors.  He was inspired by the Holy Spirit yet still his answers were logical.  

That was an interesting read, the layman has a role.  And we should favor those ideas that glorify Jesus instead of glorifying ourselves. 

Guest Thallasa
7 hours ago, ARGOSY said:

Yes, no harm in using this brain that God gave us.   Jesus always gave thoughtful answers to his detractors.  He was inspired by the Holy Spirit yet still his answers were logical.  

That was an interesting read, the layman has a role.  And we should favor those ideas that glorify Jesus instead of glorifying ourselves. 

Good that you read it ,I thought it would be good to look at situations where He seems to say contradictory things , but in fact they are not . I think it adds to our faith and understanding, when we look into them .

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  0

On 2/22/2016 at 2:20 PM, ARGOSY said:

Exactly, and while he was existing before the birth of the universe, he was surely doing stuff.  So what then is the "beginning" as per Genesis 1:1?   I think it was just the beginning of Mankind's story, when I read that God turned an empty and watery wasteland into a planet able to handle life.  To claim Genesis 1:1 was the beginning of all things is to undermine the very nature of God who never had a beginning. 

Yes, mankind history. The time when people had the time to write books instead of hunting and gathering.

By the way, Genesis 1:1 does not address the beginning of God. It addresses the beginning of what He created. So, all things minus one. 

On a related note: what does it mean empty and watery? If it has water, it is not empty.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,695
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  04/11/1968

7 hours ago, siegi91 said:

Yes, mankind history. The time when people had the time to write books instead of hunting and gathering.

By the way, Genesis 1:1 does not address the beginning of God. It addresses the beginning of what He created. So, all things minus one. 

On a related note: what does it mean empty and watery? If it has water, it is not empty.

Empty as in uninhabited, unoccupied.

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 8:47 AM, other one said:

if you take the Bible literally one would have to believe the earth is a round flat disk with a dome of something as hard as steel and the sun and moon travels across just under this dome.....    Oh, yeah, and God lives on top of the dome.

If we take the Bible literally where it is to be taken literally, it proves beyond doubt the Earth is round.

Isa. 40:22, It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

(Circle of the Earth) Heb. chug, Translated circle (v. 22); circuit, (Job 22:14); and compass (Pr. 8:27). This word in the Bible revealed that the Earth was round, long before men in general believed it was so.