• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

! John 5-7

'Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the son of God?  This is the one who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ, not with the water only, but with the water and with the blood, Jesus Christ; not with the water only, but with the water and the blood.  It is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. For there are three that testify:  The Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.'

I had thought it to be the Word at one point, because of Ephesians 5:26  where it says 'with the washing of water with the Word.'  But I guess I'm wrong.

Hi Pamela,

gdemoss seems to be closer to the truth on this, however I would like to expand abit on what gdemoss has offered and perhaps this will finally make sense to you

Pamela, you are provoking me to study harder.  God bless you greatly!

Lately I have been taking an approach that says maybe I don't know.  So I begin to search the Word in me for an answer.  Here are some notes:

The witness of water can be seen all throughout scripture as well as the witness of blood.  Abels blood cried out unto God bearing him witness that he was righteous.  The water removed out of the way of Gods people but flooded over the Egyptians bearing witness of both.  The water bore witness of the Israelites, Elijah and Elisha when they parted for them to cross the river.  The water bore witness of the wickedness of the earth when it overcame the world in the flood yet Noah was saved by that water.  Without the spilling of blood there is no remission.  Jesus resisted sin even unto blood.  The Holy Spirit bore witness of him through the resurrection from the dead after his blood was spilt.  I am quite sure that there is much much more but I believe much is hidden until the time is right.  Stay tuned into our Lord.  Love others with a fervent love as Christ loved us and you will see more and more.  Give his grace unto others and your eyes open wider and wider.  Maybe one day the water will bear witness of us, no?  God knows ;)

There are three witnesses who attest to Lord Jesus, The Spirit, Water and Blood.

This concept can be found in the  Book of Exodus, or in the  Book of Leviticus, you will see that when a priest was ordained, three things were always used

The High Priest was washed with water in every case, a sacrifice was brought, and his ear, his thumb, and his toe were touched with blood, and then he was anointed with oil, in token of that unction of the Spirit with which the coming High Priest would be anointed. 

So every High priest came by the anointing Spirit, by water, and by blood and all this was a matter of type for THE coming HIGH PRIEST Jesus Christ, and and if Jesus Christ be indeed the priest that was to come, he will be known by these three signs.

Godly men in the olden times also well understood that there was no putting away of sin except with these three things.

for example David, have a look at his prayer

"Purge me with hyssop"—that is, the hyssop dipped in blood

"and I shall be clean; wash me"—there is the water—"and I shall be whiter than snow;"

and then, "Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation, and uphold me with thy free Spirit."  - There is the spirit.

Thus we can see the blood, the water, and the Spirit were recognized of old as necessary to cleanse from guilt, and if Jesus  be indeed able to save his people from their sins, he must come with the triple gift—the Spirit, the water, and the blood.

We know God anointed Jesus  with the Holy Ghost

We know Jesus whole doctrine is fitly comparable to purifying and life-giving water, and was baptized in water, it is also why you see water and blood came out of Jesus side when he was peirced

We know Jesus came by blood" Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world!" "Now, the lamb which takes away sin is a slaughtered lamb, a bleeding lamb;

It does seem, as stated towards the end of your post, that the water represents the cleansing and the life.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,661
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  2

! John 5-7

'Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the son of God?  This is the one who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ, not with the water only, but with the water and with the blood, Jesus Christ; not with the water only, but with the water and the blood.  It is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. For there are three that testify:  The Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.'

I had thought it to be the Word at one point, because of Ephesians 5:26  where it says 'with the washing of water with the Word.'  But I guess I'm wrong.

I had the same question whenever I read this, and never really got it.

Thanks to all for your answers, now I have so many converging views that make sense, I feel really blessed and praise God for every individual's contribution.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,332
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

Maybe it's referring to baptism as a physical manifestation/symbol of being born again?

Agreed, it think it's symbolizing rebirth.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Days Won:  5

Maybe it's referring to baptism as a physical manifestation/symbol of being born again?

Gerbilgirl

1 John 5:6   This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

1 John 5:7   For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

1 John 5:8   And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

It just simply means "he is that one"  That man "Jesus Christ" is "he" who came into the world "flesh" out of his "mother's womb".  He didn't come into the world as a spirit, but as flesh.  I've given birth 3 times, and when my babies came out there was a lot of water and blood. 

It's got nothing to do with a re-birth, because this was the first time Christ was "born".  His "rebirth" would be at his resurrection.

That water and blood that came out when Jesus was born bears witness that his birth really happened.  The Spirit bears witness also on the earth.... the "spirit of truth".

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

I don't think Christ was born again, He has no need of being made new, for He is the same yesterday, today and forever.  He simply was able to raise Himself up from death back to life again.  

Blessings :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,158
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I don't think Christ was born again, He has no need of being made new, for He is the same yesterday, today and forever.  He simply was able to raise Himself up from death back to life again.  

We always seam to loose pieces in our reasoning! Of course >not born again< Jesus never committed any sin! He was born
alive as God Jn 1:1.  His comment at baptism reflects this truth

Mt 3:14-15
14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil
all righteousness.
Then he suffered him.   KJV
[Jesus did not need to testify of His repentance and washing of sin!] this is what John baptism was Mk 1:4...
Jesus is stepping into the ministry of The Rabbi of Israel also the example to mankind of what the walk of righteousness would
look like and 3 1/2 years that walk would be sealed with His Blood of The New Covenant ...

Edited by enoob57

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Days Won:  5

Zion

The true meaning of being "born again" is being resurrected, or quickened.  It's that change from flesh to spirit.  Not the renewal of the mind, that's different.  That's still in the flesh worshiping in "the spirit".  The body can still die.  When one is truly born again, he can never die but has inherited everlasting life. 

Born again means born twice, not three times.  We are first born out of our earthly mother, and the second time we will be born out of our spiritual mother called Zion, which is God's kingdom.  This is that woman in Rev 12.  She will give birth to all her children in one day (at the resurrection).  At the moment we are still growing in her womb.  Labour pains have to come first, then the birth.  Not the other way around.

Blessings.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

Gerbilgirl

1 John 5:6   This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

1 John 5:7   For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

1 John 5:8   And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

It just simply means "he is that one"  That man "Jesus Christ" is "he" who came into the world "flesh" out of his "mother's womb".  He didn't come into the world as a spirit, but as flesh.  I've given birth 3 times, and when my babies came out there was a lot of water and blood. 

It's got nothing to do with a re-birth, because this was the first time Christ was "born".  His "rebirth" would be at his resurrection.

That water and blood that came out when Jesus was born bears witness that his birth really happened.  The Spirit bears witness also on the earth.... the "spirit of truth".

I have to disagree because of the way it is written 'He did not come by water only, but by the water and the blood' Since when does anything come by water only anyway?  If nothing comes by water only, it would not have to be pointed out that He did not come by water only. Which can only then be shown to be by spirit.  He was saying He did not come by spirit only(something else spiritual) only, but by spirit and by flesh. So two things spiritual and one thing flesh.  ( not to confuse spirit with the Spirit)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,158
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I believe this is a perfect overlay of the witness of John's writing:
Ro 6:1-7
6 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2 God forbid. How
shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? 3 Know ye not, that so many of us as
were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 4 Therefore we are buried with him
by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father,
even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness
of his resurrection: 6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might
be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. 7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
KJV

Love, Steven

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  210
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

I believe the water is spiritual water from the Holy Ghost. Salvation is being baptized spiritually by the Holy Ghost. Physical baptism is the declaration to the world that your saved.